BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blagged a ride out on a BMW F900r yesterday and what a cracking little bike it is. The handling is very good with good control from both ends, the brakes are phenomenal, needing only two fingers to stop the bike from any speed. The motor is a little gem and will pull from 2000 revs in fourth gear without complaint, my MZ 1000 will throw a shitty if I tried that even though its same 270 twin motor with 100cc more. There is a lovely induction roar when you get the motor past tick over that is a pleasure to listen to it while ripping through the gears using the well sorted quick shifter, great fun. As with most quick shifters it wasn't as good lower down in the rev range. The finish looks very good and I quite like the styling of the bike although I would choose a more open pipe. Downsides, there's always downsides and for me its the usual, seat is way too low. I asked if there were optional seats and was told no although there are a choice of 5, but they have to be bought as accessories. There is only a pissy little fuel tank of 13ltrs (which seems to be the norm these days) but the dash told me the bike was doing 56.4 mpg which for a demonstrator (which is usually thrashed) is very good, I would expect to see well over 60 in normal use, BMW are claiming 67mpg. I think that with a higher seat and a more fruity tail pipe this would be a brilliant bike, it was well laid out, all the controls worked very well, the new TFT was excellent and even the usually crap self cancelling BMW indicators worked well. Anyone looking for a good mid sized bike could do worse than take a look at this cracking little bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Absolutely loved my F800r and would have been tempted with this now had I not moved to R1200R last June.

Regardless, enjoying my R12LC.
Would like if they offered semi-active on the front shocks as I am now spoilt with them.

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
You forgot to mention the Holy Grail - LED headlight

Reactions: Ontrip

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
The configurator shows a 50mm higher seat as a no-cost option for the F900R in the UK!

And going in the other direction a lowered suspension version - note lowered suspension, not just a low seat - can be had, or at least will be able to be had once coronavirus goes and production returns! I have researched this bike quite carefully, and sad to say it seems to have been received with reservations, with faint praise, and the sound of one hand clapping from some reviewers. In the flesh, it is typically BMW high-quality in fitment and finish, but TBH it looked pretty tall to me and in a way somewhat intimidating, much like the GS. Very low, if any, new stock here in Oz at present due to you know what...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I test rode the F900XR, great little bike except for the wind buffeting on the highway. The engine is decent but didn't quite have the character of a boxer.
I think both bikes would be a good purchase for someone looking for a middleweight.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couldn't find a crap review of this bike, but I did find these.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rode the F900R at the BMW demo day recently. I wasn't impressed. I owned a F800R too. Same buzziness in bars at around 5500K

·
Registered
302 Posts
I’m a little over being pummeled by wind & rain on the R12R so I’ve been looking around at possible replacements. I rode an F900XR & found it fitted me perfectly. Typical BMW in so many ways which helped but I couldn’t like that paral twin. To me it lacked power & torque & was without soul. Which is a pity because it really suited me in every other way. I’d like to try the Triumph Tiger 900 but finding a demo isn’t easy. I’ve ridden a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT but would like to do more than an around the block test ride. I think it represents great value.
Stricko

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you ride it on the freeway? I have and the XR has heaps of buffeting with the screen down, and even more with it up! Suppose it depends on your height and helmet but before you buy anything take it up to 100 or preferably 110+.
I’ve recently found that some bikes that you expect to have good wind protection can be worse than naked bikes.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I’m a little over being pummeled by wind & rain on the R12R so I’ve been looking around at possible replacements. I rode an F900XR & found it fitted me perfectly. Typical BMW in so many ways which helped but I couldn’t like that paral twin. To me it lacked power & torque & was without soul. Which is a pity because it really suited me in every other way. I’d like to try the Triumph Tiger 900 but finding a demo isn’t easy. I’ve ridden a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT but would like to do more than an around the block test ride.

Talk to me about the Yamaha GT, Strick! I have had a few pre-GT Tracers, and latterly a GT, all moderately (and relatively inexpensively) farkled. Fun bikes, the GT being significantly upgraded (cruise-control, etc), fabulous triple engine, and the inclusion of hard panniers, decent one-hand adjustable screen, TFT displays, three drive-modes, quick-shifter, traction control, nice upright ergos, seat OK, makes the value irresistible, IMHO. $20,449 OTR, or $2000 or more less if a 2019 model. My problems or issues - nil across all bikes. The 2020 model with a kind-of copper-coloured elements on the tank and body panels over Raven Black paint looks quite tasty, again IMHO.

I'd have another tomorrow if only I could cope with that 845mm/ 850 seat height, which I cannot, alas. Time and tide wait for no man, sadly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts