BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many of us have complained about the crappy BMW mirror fastening system. Today riding home from work on the interstate, I was doing about 75Mph and there was a stretch of 495 that is undergoing construction, well I nailed a small but deep pothole and my bike took a jarring hit. As it hit the right side mirror came loose and began swinging in the wind. Needless to say there were many choice words coming out from behind my helmet :)

When I got home I went through the process of tighting everything up again. I've owned bikes half the price that through their entire ownership I never had to refasten the mirrors and this includes off-road riding on a KLR 650. BMW should be ashamed of their design. :death:

I feel better now I complained :)

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Agreed. Those compression bolts are probably made by the same people who choose BMW's color scheme. . . :) Anyone know a permanently tight substitute?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes,
BUT not too much loctite. I need to remove mine to fit handguards and they are BLOODY tight.
Regards John

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I did the lock washer and locktite, but if you hit a hard bump or accidentally bump the mirror, it still can come loose and swing in the breeze. It's better, but it's really just a bad design.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Happened to me once too, on an earlier R1150R - and as I was on the road at the time I just couldn't seem to fix it! Bloody nuisance.

Even worse recently: the rhs 'tab' of my visor came loose from the helmet and the whole visor :hellno:was flapping in the breeze! I was on a Freeway at the time and traffic was very heavy so it took quite some time before I could pull over and fix it! Nightmare!!

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Wow. Nothing like a near fatal safety feature! Glad you're OK! :)

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
When you hear an explosion north of Chicago that turned out to be a Darwin award contender who tried to weld his mirrors right next to a gas tank; my remains will have your name in my pocket so you can apply for my award by proxy.....:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you hear an explosion north of Chicago that turned out to be a Darwin award contender who tried to weld his mirrors right next to a gas tank; my remains will have your name in my pocket so you can apply for my award by proxy.....:)
LOL! Maybe strike that suggestion then. We can't have you absent from the forum, who would continually remind us how boring BMW bike colours are ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts