BMW R1200R Forum banner

BMW Navigator repair

5K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  chirojeff3 
#1 ·
I don't think I've seen this service mentioned or discussed so I want to give a shout out to GPS Station.

A lot of people report problems with "ghosting" on their Nav VI units, and I experienced this myself. Garmin is pretty good about replacing the units without charge, but some people are on their third or fourth units after the replacements developed the same problem. Before repair my GPS was unusable; the screen was constantly registering touches and essentially soft-locked the unit.

Rather than get a new unit I decided to try a repair service for a permanent fix. After a lot of research I found and decided on GPS Station. It's a German business, so there's overseas shipping and wait times, but it seemed like the most comprehensive offering. Here's what my unit looks like after repair:

Netbook Rectangle Bumper Communication Device Gadget
Automotive lighting Hood Communication Device Gesture Bumper
Automotive lighting Gadget Electric blue Metal Font
Car alarm Bumper Finger Gadget Motor vehicle

The following repairs were performed:
  • Replacement of the touch screen
  • Sealing of the seam between the display and the case
  • Polishing and re-sealing of the contacts on the back of the unit
  • Replacement of the USB port with a USB Micro port, and additional reinforcement of the port
  • General cleaning and polishing
I originally only requested the screen and cleaning, but when Adrian (it appears to be a one-man shop) took it apart he let me know the USB port was looking sketchy.

The unit worked perfectly on receipt, but I wanted to wait a bit to see how it gets on. It's been about 4 months now and my Nav VI continues to function without issue. I know it can take a while before ghosting recurs, but I do ride daily and it's always on my bike.

Adrian thinks there are two issues leading to ghosting. First, the screen edge is not sealed from the factory. This makes it possible for dust and other things to work their way into the screen. Second, like almost any material, the screen is sensitive to UV radiation. This is obviously a device that's intended to be used outdoors, but avoiding direct sunlight is preferrable to the extent possible. My bike is garaged at home, but I have no idea how it was stored by the previous owner. I'm also working on a 3D-printed cover made from TPS to use when parked.

Adrian also packs in a few goodies:

Font Service Rectangle Plastic Box

The USB cable is nice and sturdy, is braided, and has an illuminated tip to confirm that it has power. The Tic-Tacs and business cards are just nice throw-ins that lend a more professional image. My turn-around time, including shipping from the USA to Germany and vice-versa, was about a month.

I'm very happy with the results and consider this a positive review; I would recommend this to anyone looking for a permanent solution to the issues plaguing the Nav VI units. I'm not associated with the business in any way, no promo codes, affiliate links, etc., just throwing something out there for consideration that I haven't seen mentioned.

See less See more
#3 ·
  • Replacement of the USB port with a USB Micro port, and additional reinforcement of the port
What did the Nav VI have before?
My Nav V has a Mico USB.
Since they replaced the port and provided a new cable I wonder why they did not install a USB C port and cable.
Thanks for the thread. People who had to replace their Nav VI several times will be in interested in this thread.

#5 ·
I think I may have misunderstood; there is the occasional slight language barrier.

It appears that the original is micro USB, but he’ll optionally replace it with a mini USB port if desired. I’m not sure of the advantage there; I feel like the mini connector didn’t hang around long and I certainly have more micro cables lying around. Maybe it’s more structurally sound due to the slightly larger size?

#7 ·
I'm interested in the longevity of this. It seems a bit too easy- like all that needs to happen is to seal the edges of the touch screen to fix the ghosting issue. Or, look at it this way, if it's this easy why can't Garmin do this?

#11 ·
My Navigator VI (aka Shatnav) started, a few days ago, the ghosting scenario and various uncalled for screen menus appearing. Took it off the bike and almost threw it in the bin then I remembered reading this thread. I cleaned the connector pins and contacts with the only fluid I had, spit! Also scraped out a lot of white stuff from between the male pins (?!), rebooted the unit two or three times cos it was still ghosting when off the cradle, put it back on and it’s been working perfectly for three or four days fairly continuous use, on and off the bike. This is my second unit which is less than a year old. When I get home next week (currently on tour in northern Spain) I’m going to check out the internals of the cradle, possibly for any dry solder joints.
If does go wrong again I’m just going to resurrect my 17 year old Navigator IV which never let me down.

#16 ·
Right, but that's tantalizingly brief. What exactly is leaking, the actual LCD element? Or is it a leak between the capacitive digitizer and the display? Or is this an only semi-accurate description translated from the original German? Why did my screen respond better after cleaning, but Splodge's worked after cleaning pins on the back?

Like mentioned above, the screen edges are supposedly a concern, and that would make sense if any contamination could then make its way into the "sandwich" of the display.

In the end, I guess it doesn't make much difference, but I hate not having a solid root cause analysis. I'm a software development/cloud computing engineer by day and I don't like problems that fix themselves :p

#17 ·
Hi, I hope it's ok for me to join this chat. I have a NAV 6 that is out of warranty (over 2 years) because I'm based in New Zealand. I was very disappointed when Garmin / BMW said my unit was not covered for a warranty replacement. The unit came fitted to my 2018 R1200RT. Now I have a very expensive paper weight. I've watched the utube repair videos and have seen the suggestions on where to send the unit for repair. It'll cost me around NZ$600 for a fix, which is half the price of a new unit. It feels like such a rip-off. Looking at what the possible causes of the ghosting are, blows my mind, which begs the question, how did Garmin and BMW (2 reputable organisations) get the NAV 6 so wrong. The problems are so armature, keeping in mind that previous Garmin models work great. Its not like touch screens are a new invention. So yes, I'm stuck with this 'fancy-pants' paper weight and very keen to find a fix. The unit basically used to live on the bike. It sat well protected in the RT cradle. It worked great for the first 10 months I owned the bike, which I bought second-hand, then the dreaded ghosting started which as you all know, makes the unit unusable. I found it really useful because of where it sits, I used it as the speedo and tire pressure readouts, when it worked, it was really easy to see while riding. I don't understand why they didn't recall these units. I'm thinking maybe I should just buy a new unit, it will be like going to the dentist, not a pleasant experience at all. So much for the sales talk... ooohhh these bikes are great, the technology works well, you can't go wrong.... haha.. what a sad joke that was... Anyhow, I've had my rant, thanks for reading my post.

#19 ·
Hi, I hope it's ok for me to join this chat. I have a NAV 6 that is out of warranty (over 2 years) because I'm based in New Zealand. I was very disappointed when Garmin / BMW said my unit was not covered for a warranty replacement.…
Looking at what the possible causes of the ghosting are, blows my mind, which begs the question, how did Garmin and BMW (2 reputable organisations) get the NAV 6 so wrong. The problems are so armature, keeping in mind that previous Garmin models work great. Its not like touch screens are a new invention. So yes, I'm stuck with this 'fancy-pants' paper weight and very keen to find a fix. The unit basically used to live on the bike. It sat well protected in the RT cradle. It worked great for the first 10 months I owned the bike, which I bought second-hand, then the dreaded ghosting started which as you all know, makes the unit unusable.
Wow. I bought mine new with my 2018 RS. I’ve had it replaced 3 times (on the 4th one now). No ghosting unless you count erratic behavior.

How was the bike stored? I leave my GPS on the bike, but it’s kept in a garage. When on the road, I always pull it and keep it indoors.

I fault China.

Before people started outsourcing production to Asia, quality was easier to maintain because it wasn’t a race to the bottom on cost cutting. Garmin was the premium brand for GPS, and I NEVER had a bad product with them until now. The flaws in the Navigator 6 can all be traced back to poor QA/QC practices that should have caught them before production began. This is what happens when you cost cut too much.

You would think BMW would have insisted on top quality, but I now see they give zero cares about the performance of the GPS as it technically isn’t a BMW product.

#18 ·
With my bike still being under the two year used warranty period the dealer replaced the cradle. That white stuff that came out was the silicon type selant between the contact pins, presume that had perished over time. Perhaps the previous owner didn’t use a cover when the satnav was removed.
anyway, I discover that my model IV fits the cradle and works just fine, even the scroller roller wheel interacts with it, not that I bother too much with that. For my next trip which starts next week, France and Spain I’ll take the IV as a backup; N+1 😎

#22 ·
Hi Don, Agree, I'm still riding daily, guess I've been spoiled by the functionality of the NAV6, now the ride is not quite the same without it. For those who have an XT, can it be used as a speedo? What data can it display while riding other than the GPS function?
The XT can show everything except all the bike telemetry that the 6 can.

#26 ·
Just wanted to put this out there for the 2020 BMW R1250RT-P riders using the Garmin Navigator VI. I’m on my second unit from Garmin and it has also started acting up. It acts like your scrolling through the screen when no one is touching it…the internet calls it (ghosting) which seems to be a common problem with this unit. I was able to fix mine. I used a small suction cup while using a heat gun to heat the screen up while lightly pulling up on it. I let it cool in that position and so far so good it’s working. My thoughts are for some reason when it’s cold outside the touch screen is weak and collapses a little causing the issue or static electricity between the screen? Not sure but mine has been working fine for a couple of weeks now. Hope this helps someone if you’re having this issue.

#29 ·
I am on my 4th NAV 6, each replaced by Garmin due to ghosting.
My units work well all spring, summer and fall, and only crap out after the weather gets cold.
My riding temps here are in the 90s during the summer and 30s in the winter.
Two days ago, my Nav 6 started ghosting again after riding in 40 F temps.
Per the ADV forum, I tried the heat gun hack, getting the screen hot to the touch and pressing all around the perimeter and it worked!
The theory on ADV forum is the fluctuation in temperature causes the screen to warp as it expands and contracts.
Here in the US, Garmin reps have said that a REAL fix will be available in early 2024.
If my DIY repair fails, I will report back to the forum.
Hopefully, with less fluctuating temps here in Pennsylvania, (cold) the Nav 6 will work for a good while.

#30 ·
I am on my 4th NAV 6, each replaced by Garmin due to ghosting.
My units work well all spring, summer and fall, and only crap out after the weather gets cold.
My riding temps here are in the 90s during the summer and 30s in the winter.
Two days ago, my Nav 6 started ghosting again after riding in 40 F temps.
Per the ADV forum, I tried the heat gun hack, getting the screen hot to the touch and pressing all around the perimeter and it worked!
The theory on ADV forum is the fluctuation in temperature causes the screen to warp as it expands and contracts.
Here in the US, Garmin reps have said that a REAL fix will be available in early 2024.
If my DIY repair fails, I will report back to the forum.
Hopefully, with less fluctuating temps here in Pennsylvania, (cold) the Nav 6 will work for a good while.
I definitely think you’re right about the cold, the original and two replacements have all failed in the winter.

#31 ·
I just ordered my 6th replacement (bike has 36,000 miles), all with the same problem. Garmin asked if I wanted to wait until January as they have a new replacement model coming out that should resolve this problem. I asked to have it replaced now as I am putting the bike up for sale. They said the new owner will be able to replace it with their new edition. The warranty does get transferred to the new owner and is good for 5 years from the last replacement.