BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a short ride for an errand today and got a screen on the Navigator V that was very useful, but that I have never seen before! I have no idea how I got it and now I wish I had taken a picture of it.

There was a large-ish display of road speed in the middle top and 6 or 8 other fields around it, smaller than the MPH display. It looks like a screen that you can call up on other Garmin units from the map page - sort of a "dashboard". It was white lettering on a dark background, too, unlike the Navigator 5's typical motorcycle information display pages.

Anyway - how do I get to this screen, anyone know? Can the fields be customized?

Thanks!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Based on your description, I think you're talking about the trip computer. It's programable to show the data you want in the available fields.

Font Electronic device Technology Display device Signage

This is a contrast to the other screen that lets you display up to 16 items at one time.

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the one - the trip computer!! What is the sequence to get to that? On other Garmin products, you touch the upper part of the screen, but that doesn't seem to work on the Navigator.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
Scroll down on the main screen

Reactions: pbansen

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's the one - the trip computer!! What is the sequence to get to that? On other Garmin products, you touch the upper part of the screen, but that doesn't seem to work on the Navigator.
Try Apps, then scroll down to trip computer.
I think the bike needs to be running.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found that I needed to be on the "map" screen, then bring up the menu and select trip computer. Wish there was a way to select that screen directly - I'll keep investigating!

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
You can add shortcuts to the map screen. I have Bypass Way Point set. Not sure if you can add Trip Computer. I might have a play.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You can add shortcuts to the map screen. I have Bypass Way Point set. Not sure if you can add Trip Computer. I might have a play.
If you have the speed displayed on the map screen, I think tapping it will take you to the trip computer.

Reactions: BMWDon

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
If you have the speed displayed on the map screen, I think tapping it will take you to the trip computer.
With the LC, that works if the Nav is not connected to the bike. Once it connects to the bike it will invoke the parameter matrix display. A bit silly really as that display is readily available by tapping the wonder wheel to the right.

·
Registered
924 Posts
With the LC, that works if the Nav is not connected to the bike. Once it connects to the bike it will invoke the parameter matrix display. A bit silly really as that display is readily available by tapping the wonder wheel to the right.
Thanks. I second-guessed that one after I posted, but I was sure it happened for me. There’s a triple bar button in the lower right corner of the map screen. Pressing that brings up a menu of special options. I think the trip computer is one of them. I actually never used the button until I got curious and found there was a feature to locate facilities at upcoming exits on the route. Better for knowing if there’s a gas station ahead of you instead of searching in all directions around you.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Any of the 10 different "dashboards" has a small icon on the bottom right of the map screen that looks like 3 horizontal bars. Pressing that will take you to a list of various things, among which is the trip computer.

For searching for things on the Where To screen, there's a box in the upper right corner which defaults to "near your current location". If you press on that, you get a list of options, one of which is "near my current route" (or something similar). Useful for finding fuel or food or whatever up ahead, rather than back behind you. You can also select things like "near a different city", etc.

I find it's a worthwhile exercise with all technology, including Garmin GPSs, to experiment with the thing, pressing all the various areas on all the various screens, trying all the options, to see what happens and how they work. Before actually relying on it. For instance, it's probably useful to know how to reset the Max Speed field on the trip computer ;) You can't really break it by playing around with it, contrary to what your dad might have told you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts