BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
R1200R My 2011
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know naked bike are born to enjoy the wind in the hair, but does someone had experience about turbulence with the 2 official BMW windshield "Sport" and "High"?
Hi have the sport one and I'm waiting the delivery for high one. I'm interested to your experience for both items:

1) wind protection
2) generated turbulence

Premium Member
I've had both of those screens fitted and a much larger ZTechnik screen fitted to my 2009 model. I prefer the smallest sport screen as it leaves me in clean air with no turbulence.

Reactions: MikeHSG

Registered
I have the high screen on my R1250R and I preferred it naked with a premium full face helmet. (Love my AGV K6) it was quieter by far, and even the high barely provides any protection.

Registered
I've had both BMW screens on my '09 R. The smaller one was fairly turbulence-free, but didn't provide (for me) quite enough protection. The larger one had better proection but created moderate turbulence; modifying the mount to lean the screen back a bit was helpful.

After a few years of playing with the screens, I found a used Parabellum Scout. It's not quite as sleek as the stock BMW R90S style, but pretty close. The airflow is smooth, and protection very good. It's now been on the bike for about ten years.

Registered
I have the sport screen on my 2014 Dark White. It makes my already noisy helmet noisier.
keeps wind off chest, but hits me in helmet.
think I'm better off without it.

Registered
I've had both BMW screens on my '09 R. The smaller one was fairly turbulence-free, but didn't provide (for me) quite enough protection. The larger one had better proection but created moderate turbulence; modifying the mount to lean the screen back a bit was helpful.

After a few years of playing with the screens, I found a used Parabellum Scout. It's not quite as sleek as the stock BMW R90S style, but pretty close. The airflow is smooth, and protection very good. It's now been on the bike for about ten years.

View attachment 109815
That whole pkg looks good, did the panniers come pinstriped from BMW?

Registered
R1200R My 2011
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all for sharing your own experience. As you understood I pay atention to style too, It's inside to italian people DNA.
From style point of view, in my opinion the Sport is wonderfull, there is an italian aftermarket factory wich produce THIS WINDSHIELD. The good think is wich is compatible with original BMW sport braket and the size is large as the high one of BMW (7cm higher than sport).
The dubt is: it will be functional?

Registered
R1200R My 2011
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

View attachment 109815
From side view, is the top shield edge higher than mirrors?

Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
I put the VT Vario Touring windscreen from MRA on my 2016. It works great for me. No turbulence, very little wind noise. It directs most of the wind over me with just enough of a breeze to remind you your on a naked bike. It eliminated the wind surge from rapid acceleration. I personally think it looks fantastic on the bike. I am absolutely satisfied with it.

Registered
Just for a little more info relative to perspective on windshields, I'm 6'4" tall when measured correctly, or 193cm.

There are enough windshield threads here to occupy serious time if you're interested in digging them up, like threads about oil, but not quite as many as tires.

Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
I imagine there are. Guess there are a few more now.

Registered
That whole pkg looks good, did the panniers come pinstriped from BMW?
Thanks. I did all the striping, using an over-the-counter 3M product that has two stripes (one thin, one wider) on a backing strip to ensure they stay parallel. I'm right-handed, and the best technique turned out to be to have my left thumb on the tape where it was laid down, and a foot or eighteen inches of tape above the surface, held taut by my right hand, moving smoothly through the air to create the curve I wanted. This was particularly challenging to do on the fairing, where lots of attempts were required. I wrote about the job here.

It took some practice, but turned out well.

Registered
The top shield edge is 3" above the top of the mirrors.

BUT...the bike doesn't have the stock bars, which I found too wide, oddly-angled, and uncomfortable. These are TharBars, which position the grips closer to the bike's centerline, farther aft, and more pointed down; the mirrors are also a bit lower than with the stock bars. They are blissfully comfortable. I wrote about the installation here.

Registered
R1200R My 2011
Discussion Starter #14
The top shield edge is 3" above the top of the mirrors.

BUT...the bike doesn't have the stock bars, which I found too wide, oddly-angled, and uncomfortable. These are TharBars, which position the grips closer to the bike's centerline, farther aft, and more pointed down; the mirrors are also a bit lower than with the stock bars. They are blissfully comfortable. I wrote about the installation here.
Thanks for infos

Registered

David, what height is your screen on the Scout. I have a 20鈥 and the turbulence is bad. I am 6鈥 tall.
View attachment 109815

Registered
Brian,

The screen is 14" from bottom edge to top. But note the seat as well, an aftermarket one from Rich's in Kingston WA. The seat is several inches lower than stock, which lowers my position. OTOH, I have a very long torso and short legs, which adjusts the position in the other direction.

David

Registered
I picked up the Puig Sport Screen in Light Smoke for my R1250R a week or so ago from a UK seller...tracking shows it's in San Francisco already, so hopefully it will be here soon. I have the OEM Sport Screen, the little flyscreen, and while I love the minimalist look, the air flows hits the top of the short, flat screen just right so that the turbulent edge of the allowed air hits directly upon the bottom lip of my helmet...it couldn't be in a worse spot to create helmet noise. I can crouch down 2 or 3" or sit straighter a few inches, and the noise diminishes notably. So it was either take the OEM Sport Screen off and go naked, or try something else. This Puig is my something else...I wanted something that was still small and unobtrusive but several inches taller, and this seemed like the best option. I don't expect any significant change in wind protection, per se, but I just need to move the edge of the air up and quiet the air noise on the bottom lip of my helmet, and my hope is that additional 4" (?) of height will accomplish that nicely.

Once I install it and take it for a ride in the Spring, I'll report back on my results.

Registered
R1250R
I picked up the Puig Sport Screen in Light Smoke for my R1250R a week or so ago from a UK seller...tracking shows it's in San Francisco already, so hopefully it will be here soon. I have the OEM Sport Screen, the little flyscreen, and while I love the minimalist look, the air flows hits the top of the short, flat screen just right so that the turbulent edge of the allowed air hits directly upon the bottom lip of my helmet...it couldn't be in a worse spot to create helmet noise. I can crouch down 2 or 3" or sit straighter a few inches, and the noise diminishes notably. So it was either take the OEM Sport Screen off and go naked, or try something else. This Puig is my something else...I wanted something that was still small and unobtrusive but several inches taller, and this seemed like the best option. I don't expect any significant change in wind protection, per se, but I just need to move the edge of the air up and quiet the air noise on the bottom lip of my helmet, and my hope is that additional 4" (?) of height will accomplish that nicely.

Once I install it and take it for a ride in the Spring, I'll report back on my results.
I hope it works for you RC65

One of the reasons I bought a naked bike is, well I don鈥檛 want to go too fast. But then I found with the R1250R that making any kind of moderately swift progress is hard work. So鈥.

I fitted a Puig sports screen. It solves that issue 鈥 but sadly also allows me to go at stupid speeds if I get carried away.

I have to say, I almost ditched it after the first ride. It is stupid noisy. The air flow hit my hat just above my chin. Perhaps my Arai hat doesn鈥檛 help as they are not the quietest.

I get by with ear plugs. I鈥檝e just accepted it generates a **** load of noise.

Registered
Thanks for the feedback, Gareth. By the way, I sent you a Conversation post a while back about it as I saw you had fitted one on your bike, but as I mentioned in my followup post to the Conversation this morning, never mind as I rolled the dice and it鈥檚 now a done deal. :) Fingers crossed it works as I hope it will. (Btw, I also have an Arai, and know what you mean).

Premium Member
Thanks for the feedback, Gareth. By the way, I sent you a Conversation post a while back about it as I saw you had fitted one on your bike, but as I mentioned in my followup post to the Conversation this morning, never mind as I rolled the dice and it鈥檚 now a done deal. :) Fingers crossed it works as I hope it will. (Btw, I also have an Arai, and know what you mean)
Is the Puig Sports screen 335 mm (13鈥). My VStream medium is 20.5鈥 and the air hits me in the throat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts