BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have the opportunity to buy a 2012 r1200r that seems in very good state but has 57'000km. It's owner wants 5500 CHF.
Am I taking any risks with by buying a bike with that many km or are these bikes as indestructible as people say?
What are the parts that could fail soon even on a well maintained bike? I heard that the suspension is expensive to change as it can't be rebuilt.
As far as I understood there is a major service @60'000km. Any idea of the price of such a service (I'm in Switzerland)?
Any tips on what to check when inspecting the bike?
Thanks in advance
Sarkari job

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
I can comment only on the first point. From my perspective, a bike that is regularly used, and well maintained, can often be better than a low km unit that sits for long periods. That mileage is only around 6,000 km per year, which is very reasonable.

My 2015 model (albeit completely different engine to the one you are considering) runs like a dream at 96,000 km and other than an atypical recent Cardan joint failure, which BMW Motorrad Australia repaired free of charge, it has been completely trouble free.

Reactions: Valentino.B

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
39 Posts
Without attracting the mocker God's.
I have one that age with 85k on it.
You have a relatively low mileage machine there.
Get someone who is familiar with these machines to give it a look over.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
I have 82k miles (132k km) relatively trouble free miles on my 09. Serviced every year and ridden regularly. As PZ says, any bike will last if looked after but also may fail tomorrow even if maintained.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If the bike is well looked after with a history of being serviced I would not hesitate to buy it at that mileage if the price is good.

How does the 2012 with 57000km compare to other R1200R of similar year model in terms of price and mileage?

Just for context, I sold my 2010 GS with same type of engine at 65000km and the bike was still brand new. I was doing all the maintenance myself from 10000km and the valve clearances stayed exactly the same over the time I owned it. Only thing outside of routine maintenance was the final drive pinion seal that had to be replaced due to a leak.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That BMWs tend to command higher prices on the resale market indicates that mileage isn’t a factor to worry about compared to things like maintenance records.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I reciently (three month ago) buyed my 2010 R1200R. With 125.000km. Yes, there is not a mistake; 125.000. Is black, so my brother said me "bro, you just have buyed a two-wheeled Uber"

Jokes apart; As I ws looking for an R12R a long time, I could see a lot of units. Someones with low mileages (40-50.000) but..."Well, I´ve been doing all maintenance with my brother-in-law, it´s perfect! Do ya have maitenance records? uhm...yes, here is my little moleskine" But on the other hand...I could find machines with very high mileages, but with a PERFECT maintenance book. These ones are the deal. This good-old engines can run eternaly....if maintenance is correct. Not only "oil, filter and spark plugs" but also Shaft oil, brakes liquid. So, don´t be afraid of high mileages. be afraid of homemade or not existent maintenance (OK; except in the case that you hav good personal references from the owner, obviously!!)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check the usual stuff... Service records, leaks... Feel the clutch. I think it's quite rare but if the clutch wears out or the engine rear seal springs a leak, the bike needs to be split apart so the labor is pricey... This is for bikes up to 2014 and the r9t (dry clutch).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts