BMW R1200R Forum banner

BMW R1250R vs, Moto Guzzi V100 Mondello

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  RC65 
#1 ·
I've been curious to see how these 2 bikes compared (the RS may have been a slightly better comparison) after checking out a new V100 in red at my local MG dealer. It was absolutely beautiful, and as much as I love my old 1200R functionally, I could definitely see this MG in my garage as it appealed to me emotionally. Around the same time I was able to test ride a 2023 1250R and RS which I found to be fantastic (the R was my choice)and maybe slightly better all around than my 2012.

So I've been waiting for a comparison to pop up, this one seems pretty good. They seemed to like the BMW a bit better, no surprise as BMW has been refining this platform for decades. They complained about vibration on the MG, which could be true. However, I've test ridden 3 different MG V85TT and found the first 2 to be pretty smooth, but the third was real shaker, so I think there's vibration variation between machines. I also rode a first year GS1200R LC, which was also pretty vibey compared to others I've ridden.

#2 ·
Surprised the Guzzi has enough vibration to cause hand numbness.
I see the R has the rear seat cover. Maybe that option is finally available.

#17 ·
I noticed that in the video as well. A couple months ago my (U.S.) dealer wasn't able to order it but guessed it'd be a few months yet before it was uploaded to their orderable parts catalogue. Looks like it might be time for me to head back down there and check again.

#4 ·
I owned Guzzis for over 20 years, Classics (LeMans 850 and a T3) and more relevant to this thread, quite a few moderns (in a Guzzi/Modern way) a Breva 1100, Griso 1100, Cali and a Sport 1200. I loved them all and little beats the Guzzis engine "character" in my view as well as them being typically great handlers. But as an owner now of several years of an R1200R, I would find it difficult to depart from a BMW and consider one of the newer Guzzis. I'd also find it difficult to depart from the 1200 to a 1250 as the "gains" are minimal for the outlay required. Putting aside the specification and dynamics of the motorcycles themselves and ignoring the fact that the R1200R is the most complete motorcycle I have ever owned and ridden, the reasons are far more practical.

1. It may be Australia centric, but availability of sales and servicing agents is an issue. Quite simply, the network (or lack of ) to access the Italian product is both small and not at all well supported. Dealers in Melbourne, the Monopoly that it is, don't want to carry stock and have been known to regularly demand a deposit to get a bike road ready to test. Spare parts even more problematic with most items needing to be ordered in and a 6-8 week lead time. aprilia, as the Piaggio stablemate is not much different here.

2. Accessories. Guzzis are manufactured in much smaller volumes and the range offered is quite limited as a result. So also typically more expensive and on a longer lead time. BMW appear to have more after market partners to both produce and stock a broad range and with good availability.

3. Most specifically to the V100, this is an all new engine and drivetrain and issues will be a given. I am sure the V100 platform will evolve, but I would not be prepared to be one of the customers of the 1st or 2nd generation particularly in view of point 1 above.

These factors as mentioned may be a local issue, but I have seen similar challenges over time on international forums so it is worth considering. I'd love the V100 Mandello (and the likely offshoots) to be a success and maybe they will be in Europe where likely better supported, but as my passion is touring, particularly longer distances, a solid and competent dealer network with accessible spare parts is a key factor. All modern bikes with few exceptions perform well, so I'd be looking well past a checklist of for's and against's in a test or side by side comparison and considering ownership dynamics well past the initial buzz of a new purchase.

Trev.

#6 · (Edited)
These factors as mentioned may be a local issue,

Trev.
After I totaled my Aprilia Futura (I loved that bike), I entertained the idea of a Griso. The Aprilia dealer was also a Guzzi dealer. They had an absolutely beautiful dark green Griso on the floor. I’d always loved the sound of the Guzzi engines. They sounded like they had a heart beat to me.

I wondered if the Griso would look as beautiful after I had modified it to make it comfortable. It seemed so refined from a design standpoint. But the reach to the handlebars was a little long. The seat had a simple curve that was elegant but promised to be uncomfortable for longer rides.

The dealership was a small shop. Motorcycles were crammed into a small room with just enough space to let you throw a leg over a bike. There were only two service bays. The whole building was well past its prime. It was a perfect place to buy a bike. Buy a bike here and you are part of the family.

The owner/manager was easy going and honest. He made it clear that if you bought a Guzzi you were buying an experience, a relationship with your bike that was unique. And that the wait for parts could stretch out to weeks or longer. I got the idea that owning a Guzzi was about more than riding the bike. You had to be happy simply to own it.

There’s part of me that wishes I was that guy…a motorcyclist for whom “character” is a larger part of the whole biking experience.

But when it comes down to it, I ride to ride. When I came over the North Cascades highway yesterday, with curve after curve of empty road ahead of me, the R1250R flowed through the corners as if was poured onto the road. It was simply sublime.

The Guzzi is sexy to look at. The R is a sensual experience to ride. And I’m not embarrassed to say it.

#7 ·
Another ex-Guzzi rider here - I had a Breva 1100 for 16 years and really enjoyed it.

Last year it was finally time to upgrade - options were limited since I definitely wanted another shaft drive and I test rode the V100 and the R1250R - they were both great bikes. What I felt:
  • The V100 is a bit tall, and I'm short - there was a lower heated seat available as an upgrade; R is already shorter and I could specify low seat for no extra cost.
  • Also the R was actually slightly cheaper
  • Aesthetics - the V100 looks good (maybe not the white...) but I prefer a naked bike
  • It's the first LC Guzzi - seems well received but I plan to keep the bike a while and wanted to go something more tried-and-tested.
  • Ecosystem - eg I need luggage, lots of options already available for the R
  • Despite the R being full of gadgets, the fold-out aerofoils felt one too many
  • Somehow the V100 felt too smooth to me? Not quite the rumble I was used to. The R somehow felt more like my old Guzzi
All very subjective and none were showstoppers but all together they were all in favour of the R... and here I am :)

#15 ·
I've been curious to see how these 2 bikes compared (the RS may have been a slightly better comparison) after checking out a new V100 in red at my local MG dealer. It was absolutely beautiful, and as much as I love my old 1200R functionally, I could definitely see this MG in my garage as it appealed to me emotionally. Around the same time I was able to test ride a 2023 1250R and RS which I found to be fantastic (the R was my choice)and maybe slightly better all around than my 2012.

So I've been waiting for a comparison to pop up, this one seems pretty good. They seemed to like the BMW a bit better, no surprise as BMW has been refining this platform for decades. They complained about vibration on the MG, which could be true. However, I've test ridden 3 different MG V85TT and found the first 2 to be pretty smooth, but the third was real shaker, so I think there's vibration variation between machines. I also rode a first year GS1200R LC, which was also pretty vibey compared to others I've ridden.

The V85 is a completely different engine than the Mandello as the new one is liquid cooled. The 2022 R1250R, which I own has more hp than the new Moto Guzzi. The hp on the Mandello is similar to my Multi Strada, about 110. It’s adequate is all I will say. The LC boxer engines are smoother than the oil heads, having owned several oil heads. I always like to go for the latest thing but gave the Guzzi a miss as it would be a step down from the BMW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.