1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2012 R1200R
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
I think the article is suggesting that won’t be the case, but more a refresh/update of the RnineT, retiring that name as it relates to the 90th anniversary, which was almost a decade ago.

• Helpful
Reactions: dbyker

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,781 Posts
Agreed, looks like for 2023 the RNineT line will be renamed R12, and the current R1250 line will be updated to R1300.

Good, never liked the name "RNineT" anyway, German naming conventions border on silly at times. I do however very much appreciate a continuing platform for the delightful DOHC "Camhead" engine, spiritual descendent of storied decades of Boxer goodness, which would otherwise have been extinct since 2015.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: Backonaboxer

· Registered
5,401 Posts
Good, never liked the name "RNineT" anyway, German naming conventions border on silly at times. I do however very much appreciate a continuing platform for the delightful DOHC "Camhead" engine, spiritual descendent of storied decades of Boxer goodness, which would otherwise have been extinct since 2015.
Cheers! Dave
I could not agree more, Dave, after having owned and thoroughly enjoyed several Boxer DOHC Camhead twins - Roadsters and GSs - in the days before the LC came along. And in the mix along the way came a beautiful R9T, finished in the lovely Option 719 style - a thing of beauty and a disappointment for ever, thanks to its unforgiving ergonomics. But I found the acceleration to be a blast, and engine braking phenomenal, both far exceeeding my experiences with previous camhead engines, not that I found those lacking in any way.

I later read, either on this or on an R9T Forum, that the final drive gearing on the R9Ts was slightly different to that on the bog-standard Roadsters and GSs, which was probably the reason for the startling differences. The only jarring note for me with the R9T, apart from the dodgy ergonomics, was the bulky and heavy-looking twin silencer exhaust system, which I quickly swapped for a far simpler and cleaner-looking (and lighter) single zorst from BOS in Holland.

Unhappily, that R9T had a sad ending after I sold it, being tee-boned by an errant car, resulting in the bike rider spending a night in hospital, but luckily nothing worse, and the bike being written-off.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

Attachments

Reactions: dbyker and v-rider

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,781 Posts
. . . I later read, either on this or on an R9T Forum, that the final drive gearing on the R9Ts was slightly different to that on the bog-standard Roadsters and GSs, which was probably the reason for the startling differences . . .
Good ensuing R12R vs RNineT final drive gearing discussion moved here to keep things organized. :)

Cheers! Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts