BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘19 C650GT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from three days in Paonia, Colorado, at the 49th Annual BMW Top of the Rockies rally.

I decided to take my R1200R Classic. Of the roughly 600 people in attendance, there were lots of GS’s and RT’s but only one other Classic. Interesting how many folks were admiring it.

I thoroughly enjoyed the bike over the 3 days, 900 miles of riding. Very glad I took it and not my RT!

This photo was taken on the Dallas Divide, between Placerville and Ridgway, CO. Telluride is on the other side of those peaks.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
😎(y)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great picture Long Ranger. Sounds like an awesome trip with a decent distance to bond with the motorcycle.

I had a similar experience with a BMW winter Frost Bite run. When we stopped at our destination I was the only R amongst a sea of GS and RT motorcycles. The R got admiration from the group and non riders passing by.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of my favorite rallies and an exact match to my current bike. I'll be darned! I notice you are riding it w/o a windshield. Mine has the little sport screen on and it causes a lot of noise, Is it better w/o a screen?

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘19 C650GT
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my experience, short- and medium-height windscreens almost always generate a lot of wind noise. I wouldn’t expect them to reduce it.

I’ve elected to keep my R naked for that very reason, and because I think short screens look kind of dorky.

My RT has a fully extendable tall screen and provides a very quiet ride, but for the backroads I rode during the rally, the R was the better choice, and a lot more fun. With earplugs, it’s a very quiet ride.

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
66 Posts
In my experience, short- and medium-height windscreens almost always generate a lot of wind noise. I wouldn’t expect them to reduce it.

I’ve elected to keep my R naked for that very reason, and because I think short screens look kind of dorky.

My RT has a fully extendable tall screen and provides a very quiet ride, but for the backroads I rode during the rally, the R was the better choice, and a lot more fun. With earplugs, it’s a very quiet ride.
You are 100% correct on the windscreens on the 1200R it generates horrendous noise at anything above 30mph.
Earplugs are the way to go!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts