BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about fitting a 49L BMW topbox. I spoke to BMW and they said although it would fit it's not recommended as it may affect handling due to it's size. I have the small 28L BMW topbox but it's too small. I've fitted my old 46L Givi box but would prefer the larger BMW box as it looks way better than the Givi.

What size topbox do you have? Do they affect handling?

[topbox UK = trunk US!!!]

Premium Member
Not to worry. I've got a huge case on the back of my classic and it works just fine. eBay 50 dollars and lockable. Just search eBay under motorcycle top case or motorcycle trunk.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, drDave. I have the large Givi fitted at the moment but I like the looks of the BMW case. I know it does exactly the same and is approx the same size but I think a matching BMW box would look much better.

Premium Member
Thanks, drDave. I have the large Givi fitted at the moment but I like the looks of the BMW case. I know it does exactly the same and is approx the same size but I think a matching BMW box would look much better.
Well, of course it looks much better. . .it says "BMW" :)

Registered
re It Says BMW

On my 1150 I had fitted a 41 liter Hepco Becker. I bought a BMW badge, the one that goes on the sidecases, and stuck it on the Hepco, right where I thought BMW would put their badge.
I am often asked if "that is a BMW case?" Just the addition of the badge makes that much of a difference.
Becausae of the logo placement on the GIVI, it may be more difficult to find a spot for it.
Using the GIVI case now. I think the topcases do affect handling some, but not as much as sidecases do, and I've gotten used to it. The affect is not oppressive in any way and you get to carry stuff.
John

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a topbox now and have always fitted one to whatever bike I have. When I've been camping I'm amazed at just how much weight I actually carry and have never noticed poor handling because of it. 80% of the time my little 28L would be OK and the advantage of buyings the larger BMW case is I wouldn't have to keep swapping the Givi adaptor plate for when I need the extra space. It's just a lot of 拢s (or $s) to get one.

Premium Member
Hi Dave. Think the big 49L BMW case will work just fine for you. RT guys love them. You aren't going to be travelling supersonic speeds, are you? About the price, everybody gets that initial sticker shock. You already have the OEM side bags. Just switch the mounts, have the dealer key it for you, and let the good times roll. Are you going to get the back rest cushion for the passenger? Perhaps a larger screen for more protection later on IF the turbulence become a problem. Z2444 Z-Tech or a big CalSci? Lots of possibilities. It's all good!:)

Premium Member
I think handling it's affected more when someone rides with you, and they still make the seat large enough for 2 people.

I'm sure that advice BMW gave you, it's pure liability stuff BS.

I had a Shad42 on my FZ6, the installation on this bike was as far back as you can imagine, they advice you to don't have heavy stuff on it but, I did grocery shopping several times exceeding the recommended weight limit more then double, the bike felt little different but nothing that could jeopardize my safety or handling at all.

Dear chain: you are not missed at all, mi fingernails are in fact happy you are not around anymore.

Attachments

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're right Hishiko, as long as it feels safe there's no problem. Clem, the one I'm watching on fleabay at the moment does have the backrest - nothing but the best for my other half!!! My style of riding is leisurely, making progress when safe to do so.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Just stopped off at a local dealer who's selling a large 49L BMW topbox. It fitted the rack but it was a bit wobbly. Also, because it's double skinned it looked too big. I'll stick with my little 28L box and find a rack to screw to the top for my longer road trips.

Premium Member
Hoshiko,

What are you using as reflector tape on the wheel rims?

Premium Member
I know this thread is pretty old, but....

Dave, are you still using that 49L top case? Were you using the OEM rack? And did it ever fall off at any time? I was going to start a new thread, but I found this one and figured I'd ask. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts