BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hacked the BMW ECU? Is there software to connect to the ECU? Look at, edit the electronic throttle or fuel settings? Write revised tunes to the ECU?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
95 Posts
I suppose that means you won't be contributing to this thread with any answers to Doug's questions?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Doug, I looked into tuning for these bikes and found this......Performance Tuning — MAX BMW Motorcycles

Tuning netted 5-8 HP. For the cost, it didn't seem that great to me. Just my opinion, nothing else. You know more about tuning than I do. I do know this bike fuels fantastically and I have no qualms about that part of it.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,507 Posts
I thought this was gonna be about music :LOL:
I was hoping. 😄
I understand Hilltop in the UK do, either downloading an off-the-shelf configuration to suit your generic configuration (e,g. Catless headers, straight through can) or bespoke dyno tune. Search the forum and you’ll find prior threads. Not something I’d bother with. If higher performance was important to me, I’d have likely gone with a KTM 1290.

Reactions: dbyker and tima

·
Registered
95 Posts
No problem. It was meant to be a joke....the little guy under the chair was a hint.

I'll be a little more careful what I say to you going forward.....Ok?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
No problem. It was meant to be a joke....the little guy under the chair was a hint.

I'll be a little more careful what I say to you going forward.....Ok?
No need, my reply was meant to be in jest as well. I guess I should've added the requisite 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
95 Posts
Man, I thought you were being serious!!! I never mean to offend anybody....unless they start it first. (y)

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
C
Doug, I looked into tuning for these bikes and found this......Performance Tuning — MAX BMW Motorcycles

Tuning netted 5-8 HP. For the cost, it didn't seem that great to me. Just my opinion, nothing else. You know more about tuning than I do. I do know this bike fuels fantastically and I have no qualms about that part of it.
$850 is pretty steep for 5 hp. For $0, there is a TuneECU tune available for the new Rocket 3 which adds 20+ rwhp to the stock bike simply by derestricting the electronic throttle and a bit of fuel and timing changes. TuneECU has tunes for only 1 BMW model: G450x.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has anyone hacked the BMW ECU? Is there software to connect to the ECU? Look at, edit the electronic throttle or fuel settings? Write revised tunes to the ECU?
The Rapidbike self tuning EFI/timing fixer in my LC with a full Remus system makes it the most perfectly fueled bike I've ever ridden. Hot, cold, barely above sea level or at the top of Pike's peak, droning the flat to make max mileage or flogging it like a rented mule on a MotoGP track it works like you hope it will.

When I test road the bike the battery had been dead for long enough for the Rapidmoto "forgot" what it had learned. It ran like a bike that badly needed a dyno tune. The salesman* said to ride it for a while and bring it back for a free tune if I wasn't happy. Less than a tank of fuel later I was quite happy with it.

*AF1 Racing in Austin rocks.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,507 Posts
The Rapidbike self tuning EFI/timing fixer in my LC with a full Remus system makes it the most perfectly fueled bike I've ever ridden.
It seems an elegant solution, although I can’t imagine the fuelling on my 2015 being any better.
Just wondering about real estate issues - presumably it fills the space under the pillion seat. Any additional cables visible?

·
Registered
145 Posts
It seems an elegant solution, although I can’t imagine the fuelling on my 2015 being any better.
Just wondering about real estate issues - presumably it fills the space under the pillion seat. Any additional cables visible?
On my LC the thin Rapidbike box is doublestick taped to the top of the OEM computer under the rider's seat. The only visible cables run alongside the OEM cables out to the injectors and are visible only if you know what you are looking for.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
5 Posts
On my LC the thin Rapidbike box is doublestick taped to the top of the OEM computer under the rider's seat. The only visible cables run alongside the OEM cables out to the injectors and are visible only if you know what you are looking for.
That's how my Power Commander is setup too.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How does Rapidbike adjust the fuel when it’s not in closed loop with no wide band O2 sensor?

·
Registered
145 Posts
How does Rapidbike adjust the fuel when it’s not in closed loop with no wide band O2 sensor?
From the Rapidbike EVO page:

"The ability to manage stock lambda sensor signal allows performing the exclusive auto-adaptive feature to secure that fueling is constantly adjusted while riding the vehicle. The injection map becomes a dynamic value in order to match the changing weather conditions and driving style. This function is highly beneficial at low and medium rpm where the engine performance is poorly limited due to more and more restrictive anti-polluting regulations. "

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I read this but I still don’t understand how it works, especially how it autotunes over the full range of operating conditions using only the narrowband O2 sensors.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,230 Posts
Reactions: sturgeon
1 - 20 of 23 Posts