BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... installed this afternoon.

3:31 skid plate 4 copy.JPG

Unused 2013 R1200GS take-off purchased off eBay for $75.80 (free shipping).

Hardware purchased separately for $9: 1 1/4" x 8mm (x2), 2 1/2" x 8mm (x) and 1 1/4" x 6mm (x1).

Custom fabricated 1 1/2" spacer courtesy of my friend Larry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice and usefull, it was one of the first mods I did on my bike. Proved to be quite effecive in protecting the sump.

But, please re-consider the way you attached it. From what I can see from the picture, you screwed the plate directly to the bike using just the ordinary screws. If you hit something hard enough, the screws will tranfer all the force to the sump and damage it, possibly even brake it.

It would be wise to use the BMW mounting parts. The rubber carriers at the back and the metal part at the front which is designed to "give in" and turn to absorb the force.

Those part are not expensive, and will save you from being stranded somewhere on the (bad) road.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
bmw correct mounting parts will most likely position the bash plate closer to the ground, gs is a taller bike, but what fahrer mentions is sensible...just saying

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, the ground clearance is reduced a bit, but in my opinion that is a small price to pay for additional sump protection, even if you do not ride on dirt roads. You may simply misjudge the height of a curb and get in trouble. After our big trips I allways had to hammer the bash plate back to its original shape, and replace the torn rear rubber carriers, but the sump remained undamaged.

And I took my R to places it really should not have gone to.

That old bash plate is now on the new R, just waiting to be abused again ;-)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I rode about 100 miles today and I went off road a bit. Well....I saw a rock in the road. I guess that doesn't count.

Yes, the ground clearance is reduced a bit, but in my opinion that is a small price to pay for additional sump protection, even if you do not ride on dirt roads. You may simply misjudge the height of a curb and get in trouble. After our big trips I allways had to hammer the bash plate back to its original shape, and replace the torn rear rubber carriers, but the sump remained undamaged.

And I took my R to places it really should not have gone to.

That old bash plate is now on the new R, just waiting to be abused again ;-)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see that AltRider now makes a skid protector for the R1200R. Kinda expensive at $395.00.
That was the exact one I was REALLY excited about getting and subsequently announced on this forum as one of my future protective upgrades.

After weighing out all the information garnered from Forum Member's insights and opinions, I opted for the recycled R1200GS plate posted above.

What I don't get for the extra $300 that the AltRider plate offers is the plate covering the headers. I did, though, install a front fender extension to help aid in less debris being thrown up there, at least from the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Cool. Just found a used one with mounting hardware on eBay for $32.00!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
209 Posts
Will the stock GS take off plate work with the lower fairings?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts