BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
What are you asking? All hydraulic lines have bleed nipples where you flush/bleed the system. In this case, at the brake calipers.

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are you asking? All hydraulic lines have bleed nipples where you flush/bleed the system. In this case, at the brake calipers.
There's a one way valve built-in to the bleed bolt.
When start flushing the break system air doesn't go back into the system when you are squeezing the brake lever.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ah, so you're looking to replace the bleed nipples with one way nipples? That makes sense.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
54 Posts
Oh, you're asking about Speed Bleeders. I use them on all my bikes and love them, makes bleeding quick and easy. I just bought a set for the R1200R and will be doing a brake flush in the next few weeks. They're inexpensive and I've had some fail in the past.

On a side note, BMW recommends compressing the caliper pistons in to push out fluid before bleeding.

Reactions: JPC IRL

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here’s an earlier post on this topic which might help:
Speed Bleeder

Reactions: dbyker and v-rider

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks for the link! I'll proceed cautiously with the Speed Bleeders, but it sounds like I may keep the OEM nipples.
In all my years, I’ve never had an issue that justified speed bleeding nipples. Always close the nipple before relaxing on the system. Maybe if it was such a pain to bleed alone that it helped then it would make sense.

·
Registered
Africa Twin's and a BMW or two
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice.
I think I'll go old school and be careful.
Anyone have any thoughts on the abs system recycling I've seen in a YouTube video?
Just flush and don't completely drain the brake circuit?

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
54 Posts
I flushed my 2 year old brake fluid yesterday without using Speedbleeders, it wasn't as easy but not a PITA either, the front left caliper was awkward. Pressing the pistons into the calipers added an extra step as well. My 2012 doesn't need the ABS to be cycled from what I can determine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have not replaced my bleeders with speed bleeders.
I use a one way bleeder in a hose and move it from bleeder to bleeder.
Instead of buying 6 speed bleeders for our two bikes I just bought one.
Product Cable Auto part Wire Jewellery

1 - 17 of 17 Posts