BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bleed brakes on my Triumph, I use software to open/modulate the ABS valves to ensure I get all of the old fluid out.

I just noticed I was supposed to replace the brake fluid @ one year on my 1250R.

What do you guys do if you want to ensure a complete flush is accomplished? Or should I leave this to a pro?

Appreciate any advice.. Thx!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just did this 2 days ago on my 2014 R1200R, which obviously has ABS. I have the Haynes manual and there's no mention of activating the ABS pump, so I do it normally like you would do it on pre-ABS motorbikes. I did install speed bleeders both front and rear because to me it makes it so much easier.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked my Haynes too and since they didn't mention it, thought I'd ask. Maybe I'm a little OCD. It probably isn't a big deal... thx.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Mine was just a flush. A flush pushes new fluid through the system. No need to activate ABS. Even then, the ABS unit probably retains so little fluid that any old fluid won't significantly harm the performance of your brakes. I actually had more of an issue with NOT getting all of the air bubbles out of the rear line. Had to do double what I did the first time to ensure I got ALL the air out.

Reactions: tima

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
Activation of the ABS pump is essential if the lines have been drained for some reason, but not for a normal change.
Some OCD types do it to try to ensure every last bit of old fluid is removed but that’s, well, OCD.

Reactions: dbyker and tima

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just connected using Motoscan. There is a provision to flush the entire system. But as PZmann just said, it told me for my purpose, no need to flush entirely. Is there anything you don't know? Thx again!!

Case closed...

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,568 Posts
. . . as PZmann just said, it told me for my purpose, no need to flush entirely. Is there anything you don't know? . . .
Check out the BIG BRAIN on Panzermann !!!
Forehead Nose Cheek Jaw Sculpture

Cheers!! Dave 😆

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,568 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, serious question.

Went to look at DOT 4 fluids. I've used Castrol synthetic previously. Think I paid around 4-5 bucks for a 12 oz. bottle. That same bottle is now 19 bucks + tax. I'm not a cheap guy per se but;

The question would be, As long as I use Dot 4, am I good to go? Or is one brand over another matter? I do plan on replacing as scheduled going forward.

Thanks, 👍

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, serious question.

Went to look at DOT 4 fluids. I've used Castrol synthetic previously. Think I paid around 4-5 bucks for a 12 oz. bottle. That same bottle is now 19 bucks + tax. I'm not a cheap guy per se but;

The question would be, As long as I use Dot 4, am I good to go? Or is one brand over another matter? I do plan on replacing as scheduled going forward.

Thanks, 👍
Funny, same here: 2 years ago I used Castrol DOT4 (paid $3.5 on Amazon) that now costs $18.49 (!). So I bought the Super Tech DOT 4 at Walmart for $3.3; DOT 4 fluids are all synthetic, they are a mix of Glycol Ether and Borate Ester (how much of the latter is the only difference between brands). I think as long as they are DOT 4 it doesn't matter the brand.

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
456 Posts
Ok, serious question.

Thanks, 👍

Max BMW has OEM 12 OZ DOT 4 brake fluid for $5.80 with free shipping.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Attached is a copy of the relevant section "31 00 010" of the BMW Service manual we found on eBay. The service manual for R1250R doesn't mention anything about ABS pump cycling during regular brake fluid flush, except it indicates section "34 00 510" should also be performed. There is no mention of this section anywhere in the service manual from eBay, so it might very well be about ABS.

Question 1:
All the steps are essentially what was described above, and follow the usual brake fluid flush process. One exception is the special tools used to press back the brake pistons: BMW 341531 and 341532. Are these tools necessary for the job?

Question 2:
how much fluid would I need to do a complete brake fluid flush, front and rear?

P.S. I noticed that a lot of related service procedures (e.g. 34 00 510 shown in the below screenshot) can't be found in the eBay manual. This is a bit disconcerting.
Font Rectangle Electric blue Logo Brand

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
Question 1:
All the steps are essentially what was described above, and follow the usual brake fluid flush process. One exception is the special tools used to press back the brake pistons: BMW 341531 and 341532. Are these tools necessary for the job?
JVB Productions suggests using door shims in his tool list for the, preferably plastic for this process. I don't have access to his service videos, maybe one of you can comment on how shims are used.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thanks for the added info. I did not know about this.
Let us know how the brake fluid change goes.
I'm fairly certain my bike didn't have the brake fluid replaced at one year... will need to do it as well soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts