BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just completed a brake fluid change on my 2011 R1200R. The photos below show how the DOT4 fluid changes colour with age and use. I do not know which brake fluid was used before (or how old it was - 2 years or more probably), but I replaced the old fluid with Putoline DOT 4, SAE J1703 and FMVSS 116. I forgot to photograph the old fluid on the front reservoir on the handlebars, but it was a similar colour to the rear brake reservoir fluid.

Putolene is almost clear when new.

Front calipers produced clear "gold" old fluid. Fairly quick to complete compared the the rear caliper.

Rear caliper produced cloudy "gold" old fluid. Took a lot of pumping to get the old to flush out, and the colour to change to the new clearer fluid.

The flushing method is well known, and discussed on this forum. I followed the same method using the Haynes manual which included removing the pads and pushing back the pistons into the calipers. Not difficult (even though I did not have the correct spreader tool) as the pistons push back by hand. I used softwood blocks of equal size on the in-situ front calipers either side of the disc (still seems straight), and a single block or two on the rear caliper after it was displaced (messy).

Will not be doing all that nonsense again as too slow and complicated. Another discussion in this maintenance section already mentions leaving the pads in place - - a good idea - -- especially if they are newish as they fill the gaps pretty well.

So guys, which steps have I missed out? I read that a ride around is needed to activate the braking systems fully (ABS, but what about the front/rear split braking from the front handlebar lever?), and then another fluid bleed through from front and rear brakes.

And I thought I could type a short discussion intro - :unsure: . Apologies for the blurry images - my gloves were oily and I was a concerned for my smartphone.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
A GS911 or GS911 alternative. Fifteen pages written about or mention this comms device on this forum. Read to page 4 and can see that a GS911 will be useful (if a little expensive) for purging the ABS unit, and quite a few other tasks.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
If you’ve pushed new fluid through as described, no further actions are required, ABS activation is required only if you have air in the system.
Ride on.

Reactions: SteveJH

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you’ve pushed new fluid through as described, no further actions are required, ABS activation is required only if you have air in the system.
Ride on.
Thank you. Sounds good to me. Full gale with horizontal rain for a while. Maybe Wednesday.

Reactions: Panzermann
1 - 4 of 4 Posts