BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2006 R1200RT. I was bleeding the brakes. Resevoir never went dry. Now no more fluid comes out of the bleeder valve when I open the valve to bleed it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What method of bleeding are you using?
I opened the bleeder and kept squeezing the front brake 5-6 times. Quit a bit of fluid came out but it did not empty the resevoir. I closed the bleeder and tried again and no fluid would come out on either the left or right front caliper. I have a GS 911, which I tried to use following youtube videos, but it is only showing the brake pressure test no bleed the ABS. I did the pressure test and both the front and rear failed.

Thank you

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi Tahoehigh - when doing the bleeding part, did you close the bleed screw between each pull of the brake lever?

Process:
1 - apply light brake pressure
2 - open bleed screw
3 - squeeze brake lever
4 - close bleed screw
5 - release brake lever
6 - repeat steps 1-6

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, the first time I did not. I did some digging and did that the second time, but now all I see is air in the lines. I had the bleeder line in a bleeder bag so it would not suck air in. What is odd is the reservoir was never even close to dry. I can hear the servos (wrong term sorry) making their typical noise, but no fluid is coming out. I tried both with the bike on and off. I also tried while the bike was running. I did the brake pressure test with the GS 911, and I had to squeeze the brake very hard to get it to the appropriate pressure, but it would not hold for long before the pressure dropped to 50% or so, It seems like I got air in the lines. I have bled car breaks and have been able to get the air out of the lines. I have tried the process you mentioned above 5 or more different times after walking away and the result is the same. This one seems odd to me.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You may have to vacuum-bleed or pressure-bleed the lines to get the large air pockets out now. If the end of bleeder line was not submerged in fluid, then it would still be sucking air, unfortunately.

Since it's a 2006, you may want to check with other owners of that model series, as the ABS system is different than what I have.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't use/have one, so not sure. One style seals on the reservoir without the cap, but beyond that I have no clue.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My 2003 K1200RS had servo brakes. The reservoir on the right side of the bars is for the ABM unit, not the brake calipers.
On my bike the reservoir at the back of the bike had two chambers. One to bleed the front brakes and one to bleed the back brake.
I'm guessing your bike has the same setup.
With the servos there's no need to pump the lever when bleeding the front or back brakes.
With the ignition on press the lever and the servo will pump the fluid through. It can pump it fast so it's best to use the funnel tool to hold extra fluid.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's the funnel tool I used for the wheel circuit.
I had the shop bleed the ABS unit.

funnel.jpg

funnel (2).jpg

Beemerboneyard sell the funnel.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’m confused... I didn’t think any BMW motorcycles were using the previous generation servo assist integral ABS brakes by 2006 🤔 ... my 2006 R1200S had the same generation ABS we currently have on our R1200R. But If so, here is a procedure you can change/bleed your brake fluid too for that generation. You’ll note the procedure is quite different, but I have followed it successfully numerous times on my 2004 R1200C and all good. 👍🤞🍻

Attachments

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
Reactions: Justcruisin

·
Registered
295 Posts
I’m confused... I didn’t think any BMW motorcycles were using the previous generation servo assist integral ABS brakes by 2006 🤔 ...
Not sure.
On the K1200S the change to non servo happened sometime in 2007.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts