BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen some older posts about Bren tuning but nothing recently. I wanted to share my experience as some of you may be interested.
I brought a 2020 1250R to BT for a dyno tune and the velocity stacks. What a difference! It transformed the bike, stock 1250's now feel terrible in comparison. From the second you start the bike you notice that something is different. It fires up faster, he made it so the exhaust flapper stays open so it sounds better, and it no longer does the annoying high idle for a minute or so when its a cold start. The moment you take off you then notice the torque, i don't even think i get to half throttle and the front end starts getting lite. The moment you use the quick shifter you notice that it is substantially faster and smoother, which is crazy seeing its very fast stock.

I brought it out on a stretch of straight road to play around a little bit and I sure was impressed. I hit 141 on the speedo with no effort at all and i am shaped like a sail. It pulls so strong through the entire RPM range it literally felt like a different bike. I feel like it put this bike into a different class. I do not think Ill be able to have a stock BMW again now that I know what they can do tuned.

Slope Rectangle Plot Font Line

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
399 Posts
Sounds like you still have some adrenaline left in your system :) I wonder how much of the potential performance is limited by electronics from factory for safety reasons?

If I'm reading the graph correctly, 11% increase in measured torque is nothing to sneeze at, especially that it comes on earlier in RPM range. Also 9.9% increase in measured horsepower also earlier in the RMP range...

Reactions: UK Beemer Boy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s been fun! I have a few hundred miles on it now and I can’t find a reason not to do it. It definitely gets smacked down a ton with all the modes but the dynamic pro. In dynamic pro, I almost lost it twice so I put it back into dynamic until I get more comfortable with this new power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
399 Posts
It’s been fun! I have a few hundred miles on it now and I can’t find a reason not to do it. It definitely gets smacked down a ton with all the modes but the dynamic pro. In dynamic pro, I almost lost it twice so I put it back into dynamic until I get more comfortable with this new power.

Just to understand you correctly: this tune you've got is variable based on different riding modes? Or does it kick-in in one particular riding mode?

I thought riding modes blend various throttle responses (aka fuel-to-air mix at various RPMs), electronic rider aids and suspension controls based on the mode selected. I can imagine fine-tunning hundreds of parameters to work together is probably is a very lengthy process (and expensive), that is why majority of people ride on a stock tune. Additionally variable cam shaft response throws another set of parameters that probably makes everything double more complex.

There is at least 3 different riding modes on most R1250R bikes with various engine mapping and corresponding electronic gizmo interference in each mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it does change with the modes, It still reacts like stock levels of traction and abs in rain mode and the throttle is “damped” like normal in certain modes also.

It’s definitely a ton of programming.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
So it does change with the modes, It still reacts like stock levels of traction and abs in rain mode and the throttle is “damped” like normal in certain modes also.

It’s definitely a ton of programming.

Engine modes for electronic throttle Triumphs vary by the relationship between the grip throttle position (%) and the throttle plate opening (%). The fuel and ignition don’t change with engine mode. I have no idea how BMWs work or how people have hacked the ECU for custom tuning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

You can either click through and have it shipped then follow the directions to load it or you can contact them and they may have a dealer closet to you that can help.

The handheld controller will come with the tune or tunes loaded on it then you just plug it into the OBD port or the weird round one of you have an older model and just follow the directions.

They have some how to videos on YouTube.

Doesn’t have to be for stock bike, can add things like air filter and whatever else you may have. Just contact them and they should be able to accommodate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Engine modes for electronic throttle Triumphs vary by the relationship between the grip throttle position (%) and the throttle plate opening (%). The fuel and ignition don’t change with engine mode. I have no idea how BMWs work or how people have hacked the ECU for custom tuning.
The bmw should work the same way.
Bren tuning seems to be the first at cracking open lots of ecus.

·
Registered
102 Posts
sounds like Tony the Tiger would say..GGRRreeaaatttt..but the site doesn't list anything for R1200R bikes. for my 2012 R1200R Classic I went with a Rapidbike module to smooth out the Remus headers and SC exhaust mods that came with the bike. having never ridden the bike stock I can't tell you how much better it is over stock.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I’d be more interested in trying one of their tunes if it could be loaded with software, like TuneECU does. The cost of the hand held hardware device seems a bit steep.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
I’m intrigued by the ‘velocity stacks’ mod. Any details/photos?

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
Pretty impressive results! I wonder what impact there is on fuel consumption. Obviously if you really make use of that power it will be higher, but is like for like riding similar I wonder.

@mikeS - this is a farkle you need!

Reactions: dbyker
1 - 20 of 36 Posts