BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Pretty impressive results! I wonder what impact there is on fuel consumption. Obviously if you really make use of that power it will be higher, but I’d like for like riding similar I wonder.

@mikeS - this is a farkle you need!

In regards to mileage, the bike with new tune and I are still in our honeymoon stage so fuel consumption isn’t the greatest. Lots of runs to 120 for no reason and I keep taking the long twisty way to work and home. So far I’m down about 20 mile range. I’m guessing when i stop being a child I will end up with a 10 mile or so difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk my

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
Their blurb mentions cooler running which usually means a richer mixture. BMW twins are pretty frugal in stock form, so presumably a rather lean mixture.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
I’d be more interested in trying one of their tunes if it could be loaded with software, like TuneECU does. The cost of the hand held hardware device seems a bit steep.
Is the hand held device portable across multiple bikes, I wonder, or, like the GS911, VIN based (up to 10 VINs for the Enthusiast version). If so, it could ameliorate the cost by sharing between owners.
And further, I also wonder if a map can be loaded onto multiple bikes, or are the maps registered to a VIN.
Not that I’m suggesting ’piracy’ - I just wonder about these things.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is very interesting to me. I didn’t realize anyone had cracked the ECU yet, and I don’t live too far from BT Moto by the looks of it. How was the process of working with them? Was it a “while you wait” type of thing? I’ve never had dyno tuning done before, only loaded pre-made fueling maps to the ECU on previous (non-bmw) bikes. For stage 1 and 2, it appears to be roughly $1500 for everything from what I can tell on their website. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is very interesting to me. I didn’t realize anyone had cracked the ECU yet, and I don’t live too far from BT Moto by the looks of it. How was the process of working with them? Was it a “while you wait” type of thing? I’ve never had dyno tuning done before, only loaded pre-made fueling maps to the ECU on previous (non-bmw) bikes. For stage 1 and 2, it appears to be roughly $1500 for everything from what I can tell on their website. Does that sound about right?
I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to get a tune loaded at there facility and not need a tuner but I’m not sure at all!
They respond quickly via email, I don’t want to spread false information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to get a tune loaded at there facility and not need a tuner but I’m not sure at all!
They respond quickly via email, I don’t want to spread false information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did they use the dyno to tune your bike or load their tune, or load it and tweak it on the dyno?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R1250GS HP Rallye & 2019 R nineT SCR
119 Posts
Is the hand held device portable across multiple bikes, I wonder, or, like the GS911, VIN based (up to 10 VINs for the Enthusiast version). If so, it could ameliorate the cost by sharing between owners.
And further, I also wonder if a map can be loaded onto multiple bikes, or are the maps registered to a VIN.
Not that I’m suggesting ’piracy’ - I just wonder about these things.
The handheld device is linked to VIN#, so single use-only as it allows you to toggle/load between 3 tunes: stock, tune#1, tune#2. As you can have BT provide tunes based on installed hard parts and/or fuel available in your region.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R1250GS HP Rallye & 2019 R nineT SCR
119 Posts
Did they use the dyno up tune your bike or load their tune, or load it and tweak it on the dyno?
Bike/tune does not require a dyno, unless you want to see the #s between stock/stg1/stg2 tunes and the #s/curves. BT has done most of the homework already, you just need to provide them with details about your parts installed and available fueling. They will then send you up to 2 tunes maps generally.

Some of the key take aways is BT flattens out the curves that generally have some drop-offs due to emissions regs that BMW has to target with stock ECU program.

I had the Stg2 in my MY19 R9T SCR and really enjoyed as it also made the bike/throttle handle more like dynamic ride mode for the 12XX bikes. I probably will send my hand-held flash unit back to BT to erase old R9T setup (since sell/back to stock) and get them to install for my 1250R, as I don't think I need/want for my GS, since I enduro/off-road that more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
sounds like Tony the Tiger would say..GGRRreeaaatttt..but the site doesn't list anything for R1200R bikes. for my 2012 R1200R Classic I went with a Rapidbike module to smooth out the Remus headers and SC exhaust mods that came with the bike. having never ridden the bike stock I can't tell you how much better it is over stock.
My R1200R came with a full Remus system and a Rapidbike self tuner. Before I bought the bike the battery sat dead long enough that the Rapidbike "forgot" what it had learned.

When I test rode the bike it ran like a bike that badly needed a dyno tune. Fluffy off closed throttle, annoying flat spot in the mid range, and lots of backfiring. I told the dealer I wanted a dyno tune as part of the sale.

The salesman told me to run a tank of gas through it. If it still bothered me make an appointment and they would tune it. 90 miles later it had taught itself to be the most perfectly fueled motorcycle engine I've ever ridden with a mid range grunt out of corners that surprises everyone that rides with me.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I don’t see anything problematic in how my r1250r runs. Given that I’m leaving the stock intake and exhaust in place (except for the muffler) how much more power do these things get you? For this bike, if it isn’t 10% or more across the board, what’s the point?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don’t see anything problematic in how my r1250r runs. Given that I’m leaving the stock intake and exhaust in place (except for the muffler) how much more power do these things get you? For this bike, if it isn’t 10% or more across the board, what’s the point?
well you have a 1250 (121.5 horsepower at 7,800 rpm and 92.5 lb-ft of torque at 6,600 at the rear wheel) and I only have a 1200 ( 96.5 hp @ 7,740 rpm and 75.9 lb/ft @ 6220 rpm at the rear wheel.), so there's that. the actual point is...wait for it....FUN. my bike came with add-ons and ran really really lean. the PCV wouldn't have helped it a lot. the Rapidbike module I got covers more signals (like signals form both oxygen sensors) makes it run strong in all rpm ranges. I'm now getting grunt rather than buzz.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
well you have a 1250 (121.5 horsepower at 7,800 rpm and 92.5 lb-ft of torque at 6,600 at the rear wheel) and I only have a 1200 ( 96.5 hp @ 7,740 rpm and 75.9 lb/ft @ 6220 rpm at the rear wheel.), so there's that. the actual point is...wait for it....FUN. my bike came with add-ons and ran really really lean. the PCV wouldn't have helped it a lot. the Rapidbike module I got covers more signals (like signals form both oxygen sensors) makes it run strong in all rpm ranges. I'm now getting grunt rather than buzz.
Which model of RB would I get? There appear to be a lot of them. Does it come loaded with any kind of tune or does it auto tune?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Which model of RB would I get? There appear to be a lot of them. Does it come loaded with any kind of tune or does it auto tune?
I had the "EVO" module put in mine, but once again we have different models. a quick look at their site and I saw a "Rapid Bike Smart BMW" module that might cover your year model. I would send them an email and ask. yes I had to get it dyno tuned, but that was one of the reasons I got the module, to get the bike dyno tuned. I've got a very good mechanic/tuner here in Portland that I've gone to for over 8 years and he's the one who hooked me up with the Rapidbike. had I known about Bren I certainly would've given them a call.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I had the "EVO" module put in mine, but once again we have different models. a quick look at their site and I saw a "Rapid Bike Smart BMW" module that might cover your year model. I would send them an email and ask. yes I had to get it dyno tuned, but that was one of the reasons I got the module, to get the bike dyno tuned. I've got a very good mechanic/tuner here in Portland that I've gone to for over 8 years and he's the one who hooked me up with the Rapidbike. had I known about Bren I certainly would've given them a call.
So the RB can be tuned like a Power Commander? I had a Triumph Rocket tuned with a PCIII by a great tuner but PC was all he used and he retired. I doubt that anyone in Reno even knows about RB but I’ll ask my BMW mechanic.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yes it can be tuned like a power commander. I could've gotten a PCV and dyno tune a bit cheaper, but like I said the RB covers more parameters. the PVC didn't have any maps for our bikes either and needed the dyno or some other tuning. looking at the RB site, it has changed since last year when I did this, they didn't have that SMART BMW module then for one thing, and it appears that's the only module they have for your bike. BUT they provide maps, which means it can be programmed. it's $100 cheaper than the EVO, so that's good I guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This thread gets more and more interesting to me. When I did a fueling re-flash on a Moto Guzzi I had, it provided more power (though, there is no way that bike was ever going to make a lot of power), but more than that… it just made the bike smoother and better. It’s hard to explain… it was just nicer to ride.

For my R1250R, I’m definitely not needing more power. It already has more than I can use. I would be happy to have that same “everything just seems better” feeling. The RapidBike module seems like a cheaper alternative to the BrenTune option if this is all I’m hoping for. Could anyone offer thoughts on my (admitedly, extremely vague) hopes?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts