BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was, futzing around with my garage remote, once again lost in the tank bag, and I began researching all kinds of ways to integrate one on the bike. All the usual BS - "Just stick it in your pocket!", "Get off the bike!", "Use a Mo-Door!", "Try this thing that doesn't fit your bike but I like it so I'll suggest it!", "Rig something to your dashboard!"

Hmmm. Dashboard.... And I thought to myself - THERE IS NO DASH ON AN R!!! It's bad enough the boys in Bavaria didn't put a friggin' SmartHome/HomeLink into a $20k bike, but I'm not giving up on this.

So, I'd already fabbed up a lil' bracket for my Warm&Safe controller over the winter, and the idea (after several beers and a bit of Bike Staring) hit - fab one. Like, gorilla style.

So I foraged in the garage, found a piece of 18g steel.

I measured that bad boy, hacksawed it to size, threw it in the bench vise and beat the living hell out of it.

After a bit of fitting, filing, and a couple coats of the finest rattle-can possible, I bolted her on under the GPS mounting plate -

Add in a little industrial Dual-Lock Velcro, safety Zip-Ties because I trust NOTHING -

And then wrap the EZPass in a black silicone skin ($9 on Amazon)...

And alas, I've got my heat remote, my garage remote, my EZpass, and the stupid little plate actually augments the Wunderlich fairing and deflects a lil' wind!

Total project cost? Under $20 and about 2 hours. And several beers. Because, beer.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Haven't seen this 'silicone skin' before. Woddizzit? TIA...

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lol. Nah, just some Chinesium product I found on Amazon. Pass slips in the thing, gives you about 80% of the pass covered in rubber.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
Hey @mikeS - here’s a farkle you don’t yet have ...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thing is, it doesn't take up any more space than the current GPS mount. It really just looks like an extension of the GPS prep package itself. I kept it as small and slim as I could, a very well Blends in and you don't really notice it at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clearly a useful improvement. Wondering about your risers, as I am having trouble finding those compatible with the GPS mounting bolts. Who's did you use, and did you have to extend the brake and clutch lines? Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the Heli-Bars, and there's actually a thread I posted with the full install and photos. I used Heli-Bars hardware and the Wunderlich method for installation. Took about 2.5 hours (2.0 of that rerouting the clutch hose because I didn't know what I was doing and had never worked on a BMW before), but the risers went on without a hitch in maybe 30 minutes otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Heil-bars it is then. Just installed a set myself, and must thank you for that recommendation. Perfect fit, and required only minimal reroute of the clutch line...mostly just cutting some tie wraps and wiggling things upward a bit toward the handlebars. Now my 1200R fits me and my riding position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts