BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New poster here and new to BMW bikes. Looking to buy a used R1200R (wish I could afford a new one) but budget is limited to around $8-10k

Not sure if I can get a decent one for that range but when looking, is there a common list of items I should look for? I have been truning wrenches for years so fixing things isn't a big deal...just wondered if there is a common list of things that typically might good wrong or I should look for when looking at used bikes in this model. I am sold on buying one of these as all signs point to it being the one I want just need to learn more about them.

Thanks for any input. This may have already been asked\posted but the search didn't reveal anything...or else I searched wrong! :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hi all,

New poster here and new to BMW bikes. Looking to buy a used R1200R (wish I could afford a new one) but budget is limited to around $8-10k

Not sure if I can get a decent one for that range but when looking, is there a common list of items I should look for? I have been truning wrenches for years so fixing things isn't a big deal...just wondered if there is a common list of things that typically might good wrong or I should look for when looking at used bikes in this model. I am sold on buying one of these as all signs point to it being the one I want just need to learn more about them.

Thanks for any input. This may have already been asked\posted but the search didn't reveal anything...or else I searched wrong! :)

Mike
he Mike, wecome to the forum,
For that money, you could find a pretty decent 2009ish one.

The only problem really is the fuel strip, other then that, if the bike had a decent owner who took good care of it, you'll have a bike for many many miles yourself.

Come back and share your new hunt experience.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Greetings

I bought my 2009 bike a couple of months ago for an equivalent of about $9000, not sure what the market is like in the US. Getting a good service history is essential, but you can be fairly sure most BMW owners treat their bikes with care, we're not the 'boy racer' type!!! Get plenty of test rides.

Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a 2008 off eBay a couple months ago. 22,500 miles on it for $6300. Doesn't seem to have any problems and runs great. I think there are some deals to be had out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just be patient and keep searching. There are good bikes around that price range.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
They can be a little hard to find though. The winter months may bring more to the market though. The do tend to move quickly sometimes. I saw a few, 3, that I was interested in bidding for, but by the time I had the info I needed and had a return contact, they had been sold.
I originally wanted a 10 or 11, and when I saw the 2009 I was not that inetrested; but the more I thought about it the more interested I became.

I got my 2009 for just under 11K but it had lots of expensive extras on it, items I would most likely add so the raw price seems high, but considering what it had, not so high.

I am coming to it from a 2004 r1150r, my beloved Stella!, that has a smidge under 100k miles on her. Gonna sell her to a good friend once I have the abs rebuilt.

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
After looking for a few months in So Cal I found a 2010 with 7.5K with bags and some other extras and couldn't be happier. He'd had it for sale off and on for months and came down in price to $10K which I thought was good. I didn't want to take a chance buying anything out of state or on ebay. I've had one experience buying a bike on ebay and it wasn't good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts