BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike makes a strange buzzing sound while the key is in ignition and before starting. It did that from the beginning so I think it's okay, but want to be sure. I am guessing fuel pump or something ABS. Can someone please confirm this is normal or not? Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine does that too (2018 R1200R) and after careful inspection and listening it seems like it is coming from the fuel injectors left and right..

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's the fuel pump priming and the intake butterflies going through their position sensor self-test.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay thanks!
Is it normal that it keeps repeating that until you start?
It can go on for minutes. It concerned me while doing some testing on tha navigation plug.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It can go on for minutes. It concerned me while doing some testing on tha navigation plug.
I thought it was odd to keep repeating.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
On my 2016 Roadster, after the initial fuel pump buzz, there's a high-pitched, but not very loud, whine that seemingly goes on forever. It's never bothered me. For all I know, it could be there after I start the engine, but, well, the engine is running and I habitually wear ear plugs when riding, so I can't hear it; I guess it's like the proverbial tree falling in the forest :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
There is a high-pitch whine that is normal, but not a repeating buzz...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
I haven’t owned your model, but the F800 I had uses similar fuel and engine control architecture.

The idle control valve calibration cycle is a single event - you hear a ‘grrr’ spund as they close then open gonthe designated start position.

The fuel pump will tick for a couple seconds until fuel pressure builds up to spec. After that, I’d suggest it should be quiet.

But I’m open to correction by a hexhead owner. The F800 has variable fuel feed controlled pump = maybe the hexer simply has a pressure relief valve, in which case the pump is on all the time.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My cam head scrambler doesn’t even whine, just the bzzzzt from the fuel pump. I, on the other hand, did a little whining as I was on it, running for home ahead of the potential tornadic weather Tuesday morning. Second time in a week. Climate change is wreaking havoc with the weather here.

Mirror Automotive side-view mirror Cloud Sky Automotive lighting

Cloud Sky Plant Nature Natural environment

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will have to go see a BMW mecanic I guess.
I had a (non-BMW) mechanic look at this issue. He tells me that most likely the valvemotor in the exhaust is not finding it's zero-point, and keeps trying to.
That would be fixable by adjusting the cabling that operates the valve.

Does that seem plausible? Anyone familiar with this problem?

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
. . . Climate change is wreaking havoc with the weather here.
Life was better before the climate started changing.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a (non-BMW) mechanic look at this issue. He tells me that most likely the valvemotor in the exhaust is not finding it's zero-point, and keeps trying to.
That would be fixable by adjusting the cabling that operates the valve.

Does that seem plausible? Anyone familiar with this problem?
It does sound plausible, but I would think that it would try a few times and throw an error code... then again if it's an older model it may not be able to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does sound plausible, but I would think that it would try a few times and throw an error code...
It probably does throw errors, but for a readout I must make an appointment. It does not seem to stop anytime soon however.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
You could readily determine if it’s the exhaust valve by feeling the servo motor for vibration and by popping the cover off the valve itself and look for a single, smooth back and forth cycle.

If the cables have been disconnected or loosely adjusted and if the mechanism is similar to LC models, an internal stop may have broken off, preventing a proper calibration cycle.

If it has failed, you could fit a new one (~$300), pick up a used replacement or simply fit an exhaust valve servo eliminator module (e.g. Servo Buddy or Healtech).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts