BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 had the notorious buzzy mirrors at 4000rpm and I performed this simple DIY.

Again with my 2013 I noticed the mirrors become less than useful at 4000rpm with a buzzy image.

It is a simple process of drilling a 5mm hole at the bottom of each mirror and filling them with silicone sealant by sharing a standard large tube between the two mirrors.

The pictures are self explanatory. The only difference is this time I used my better half's kitchen scale to make sure the volume by weight of silicone is equal between both mirrors.

End result, I can now see what is behind me when cruising at 4000rpm.

Two mirrors and a tube of black silicone.

Weight of mirror before.

Drill 5mm hole to fit spout/tip of silicone tube.

Fill with half of silicone tube.

Check that both mirrors have equal amount of silicone.

Smooth out the surface.

Finished result, can barely see the filling hole.
Leave the silicone 24hr to dry. Enjoy the the mirrors at any rpm for their intended purpose.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
.... I used my better half's kitchen scale to make sure the volume by weight of silicone is equal between both mirrors.

End result, I can now see what is behind me when cruising at 4000rpm
An elegant solution - but can you see your wife coming at you with a frypan in hand for daring to use her scales for such a purpose!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An elegant solution - but can you see your wife coming at you with a frypan in hand for daring to use her scales for such a purpose!
There is this old saying that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. The real key is though, to do it without her noticing ;)

Luckily I have the most amazing wife, so I doubt the punishment would have fitted the crime if she knew.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,287 Posts
filling them with silicone sealant
I’d be careful to select a neutral cure silicone. Most are acid cure (acetic acid) which can damage mirror coatings, principally around mirror edges.

Reactions: GenlJuba and mikeS

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d be careful to select a neutral cure silicone. Most are acid cure (acetic acid) which can damage mirror coatings, principally around mirror edges.
Thanks for the heads-up Panzermann, I have not considered it, since here in South Africa it is common practice to use the same type of silicone, albeit a different colour, to fit cosmetic mirrors to walls.

Luckily I have done it with my 2011 without any ill effect and so far my 2013 seems to be doing well.

For anyone else who is considering the same, please take head of Panzermann's comment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts