BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love it when your 2016, 18k mile bike comes up with a bad camshaft, apparently a known bad batch from BMW...

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
Surely repaired free of charge, but wow - didn't they know which bikes the bad batch went into?

Interesting that it's one lobe only - the others seem fine. You would have noticed the noisy valve follower?

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hope it is a whole new engine and not just a repair. All that shavings dancing around in the oil had a good time and just replacing the cam and cam follower will not remove the damage done to all the other internal bits such as the bearings, gearbox etc.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
443 Posts
There’s a 21-page thread that I’ve been following about this issue over at the BMW MOA site...it has me worried enough that I plan to take the manufacture’s warranty/notice alert pdf posted in the thread to my dealer at the end of the riding season and have him pull the covers and inspect:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Panzermann -Bob's is working with BMW to get it fixed free, but that takes a week to hear back.

@GenlJuba Depends how the oil looks, and the filter. If the oil is clean, and the filter is silver, it's likely OK. But yes, there's a long term concern.

I'm honestly thinking fix it and trade it.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Any excuse to buy a new bike! But I'd be careful of who I trade it with. If it's the dealer who knows about the issue he's bound to offer you a silly knock-down price for your trade. Not that many dealers would act in such a way... not!

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yikes! BTW, did your engine happen to rattle for the first 1 secs or so on first lighting the wick (mine does) and then yours got progressively worse? I'm assuming this rattle is caused by the delay in the cam chain tensioner finally receiving full hydraulic pressure. But given what you've experienced, I'm now just a smidge worried (but ack the tappety-tap you would have heard would be extremely persistent across the whole rev range)

·
6,898 Posts
I'm now just a smidge worried
Ride more, worry less, as Clem might have said.
If you’re concerned, whip the head covers off and take a gecko. 👍

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
-Bob's is working with BMW to get it fixed free, but that takes a week to hear back.
Bob's was my BMW dealer for years, I always found him knowledgeable and honest (though not cheap) with a great shop and staff. I would tend to go with whatever they tell you, unless it's significantly different than other experiences on the innerwebz. Best wishes with it, not your fault but hopefully they make it right!

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: The awesome team at Bob's and BMW are making this one right. They're covering 100% of he repairs for me, and since it's dealer service, all parts and labor are warranted for 2 years.

Waiting on parts for a couple/few weeks, but they're standing behind the bike. THIS is how you get loyal riders!

·
6,898 Posts
THIS is how you get loyal riders!
In Australia we would expect the same, under consumer laws if nothing else. It’s clearly of faulty manufacture so should be remedied free of charge.

The complication here is that consumer guarantees only apply if purchased from a retailer - not if bought privately. But just as BMW replaced my drive shaft via the nearest dealer, rather than me have to pursue a consumer warranty claim with the actual selling dealer, I’m sure they’d fix any bike that suffered the same failure as you did, Mike - their reputation would be at stake.

Reactions: equ

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We don't have quite the same laws here. Warranties are usually transferable regardless of seller, based on mileage and in service date.

We also have a warranty protection law that states anyone can work on the bike without voiding the warranty (not just a dealership).

This bike is out of warranty, but BMW is still covering it because it is a known issue. Good on them

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
152 Posts
I hope the repair comes out well for you. I'd be displeased with that too, but what can you do? I went through a "lemon" bike last year and know what it's like to have a bike "down". It sucks.

Life goes on though... (y)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope the repair comes out well for you. I'd be displeased with that too, but what can you do? I went through a "lemon" bike last year and know what it's like to have a bike "down". It sucks.

Life goes on though... (y)
I'm not sure it's really a lemon, I think they got a bad batch of metal, maybe some piss poor quality control, but they're taking care of it and standing up behind it.

The big concern is going to be if the oil comes out looking like a stripper was bathing in it, or if it comes out clean and the filter is all shiny.

As long as the filter did its job, the metal couldn't have been floating around the motor that long, and everything else should be fine.

·
6,898 Posts
We don't have quite the same laws here. Warranties are usually transferable regardless of seller, based on mileage and in service date.
My comments were in relation to general consumer law guarantees (acceptable quality and fit for purpose) rather than the manufacturer’s warranty. The latter is most certainly transferable but the former is enforceable regardless of whether the vehicle/appliance/device etc is within the manufacturer’s warranty period/distance - provided you are the original purchaser.

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
785 Posts

Too bad your engine repair will be listed in the service history, so that every BMW dealer can appraise your bike with that in the back of his mind.
Of course, only BMW dealers will have access to that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Too bad your engine repair will be listed in the service history, so that every BMW dealer can appraise your bike with that in the back of his mind.
Of course, only BMW dealers will have access to that.

They swear it'll be fine, so they can put their money where that claim originates, right?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LAST Update: The fine folks at BMW FedEx'ed the parts to Bob's, and the experts at Bob's finished my bike up this evening. Charge to me? Nothing but downtime and a copy of my service records.

I can't thank Tony Rouse and the Bob's BMW team enough for advocating and working with BMW, and props to BMW for standing behind the bike.

You can crap on your dealerships all you like, but I'm keeping mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts