BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after months of research and consideration, I pulled the trigger yesterday on a 2020 BMW R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte. My first boxer, my first BMW. It replaces my 2016 Yamaha FJR1300 that I'd had since 2017, and blessedly shaves 125 pounds off the FJR's weight.

I'd had a couple 10-/15-minute test rides on the R1250R previously, but had a solid few hours of seat time on it yesterday riding it home. Very pleased...135 hp and 106 ft. lbs. of torque delivered by the boxer Shift-Cam twin with variable valve timing provides a monstrous, linear delivery of torque and power (though I did keep it in check for proper engine break-in). The hp and torque numbers are about the same as the FJR's in-line 4, but at 125 pounds lighter this thing really moves.

The electronic dynamic suspension front and rear, along with the aforementioned weight loss (plus the horizontal boxer carries the weight low), makes for great, nimble handling and a riding experience that reminds me why I love motorcycling. For me, muscling around the top-heavy FJR on the winding country roads that are 98% of my riding time was frankly starting to take its toll on that love, and that's when one knows the time is ripe for change. If I ever do need to tour, brackets in place for hard panniers.

I'll readily admit I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I absolutely love this bike and can't imagine a better bike for me.

(Btw, yes, there is some yellowing on the right pipe and not the left, but it's just oily fingerprints that weren't wiped clean and got cooked on...it's not an off-balance richness/etc.. These pics were taken as soon as I got home from the dealership. Cleaned them off last night, and it looks good as new. I know these will color over time, but they don't need a headstart :confused: )

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
very noice!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, love the color, too. I wasn't sure about the matte finish -- was initially focused on the black gloss w/ the red "R" -- but it's far from a dull matte, and that satin sheen (among other things vs. the all-black) won me over.

I like that there's some distinction of pieces -- the grey trellis, the gray under the tank, the elegance of the green, etc. -- the all-black / blacked-out was just too uniform and didn't show off the bike's aesthetics properly, it was hidden in blackness. It was a tough call, but every time I walk out into the garage now I know I made the right choice for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Very nice bit of kit RC65, you will get to really LOVE this bike. Let us know what you think of it once you've had some good seat time. BTW, what's the back story on the RC65 moniker? Honda related I assume?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice bit of kit RC65, you will get to really LOVE this bike. Let us know what you think of it once you've had some good seat time. BTW, what's the back story on the RC65 moniker? Honda related I assume?
Thanks, will do...very much looking forward to getting past the break-in period and seeing what it can do.

No, nothing as interesting as that...just my initials and year of birth.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Thanks, will do...very much looking forward to getting past the break-in period and seeing what it can do.

No, nothing as interesting as that...just my initials and year of birth.
I remembered your moniker from the Thunderbird forum. I recently bought 2020 R1250R and agree that it’s a great bike. I love riding it. Cheers!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remembered your moniker from the Thunderbird forum. I recently bought 2020 R1250R and agree that it’s a great bike. I love riding it. Cheers!
Your user name certainly rings a bell, too...great to see another former TBird owner here! Small world. The aforementioned FJR was the bike between this new R1250R and my 2012 TBird. Miss them both (especially the TBird), but this new bike thrills me in a way neither quite did.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yeah, I really like the colour scheme on the exclusive, but for me the package wasn’t right, so I opted for the base model and specced it up a bit.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Call that filthy! Try this on for size...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Your user name certainly rings a bell, too...great to see another former TBird owner here! Small world. The aforementioned FJR was the bike between this new R1250R and my 2012 TBird. Miss them both (especially the TBird), but this new bike thrills me in a way neither quite did.
I had a Tbird a couple of years ago, great bikes. Enjoy your new toy RC65.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congrats! I have about 1200 mi. on my new 1250R and am loving it for the same reasons.
It seems as though I have found a hidden gem.
This 1250R is a wonderfully fun naked bike, (seems as though it might qualify as a super naked with all that torque)
I've had the chance to ride it on two hot days, in the 80's F, and there isn'e anything better than a naked bike, mesh gear, and clean air to your helmet. Just glorious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, everyone, appreciate the kind words of congrats and the warm welcome.

Those frightening photos above of a mud-spattered beauty reminds me that the one accessory I have in mind to pick up at some point is a mud guard for the rear wheel...puzzling why there’s not one there. I’ve seen photos here of folks with an aftermarket one, though. At some point, too, I wouldn’t mind looking to see how much it would cost to replace those lower painted fins with the stainless engine spoiler / belly pan of the HP version. I really like the way it wraps and finishes the lower front (and protects the pipes a bit more)...looks clean and muscular.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here’s my black one covering two bases - dirty and has the stainless steel belly pan. I think the belly pan looks much better when you’ve got the stainless steel tank cover and side pieces. It gives the bike a uniform look.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went for the mudsling. I'm afraid one aspect of the R1250 that is not so brilliant, is that if riding in wet weather you tend to get coated in road grime. I got coated right down my legs and half way up my back. Between that and the sad excuse of a front mud guard I do wonder if BMW is really serious about this bike.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts