BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here’s my black one covering two bases - dirty and has the stainless steel belly pan. I think the belly pan looks much better when you’ve got the stainless steel tank cover and side pieces. It gives the bike a uniform look.

View attachment 107763
See, now that looks fantastic. That helps affirm that a belly pan needs to stay high on my list of changes (of which, honestly, there are very few).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am installing the Mudsling today after seeing it in person on an R1200R.
It looks really well made and to be very effective at keeping the rear shock and ESA components clean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned about 30 street motorcycles. Nakeds and Roadsters have always been my preference.
The LC 1200&1250 Rs are a pretty impressive package. They tour and commute very well, and will hang with sport bikes on twisty roads. What else could can you want?
My 1200 is quickly becoming my favorite bike ever (y)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am installing the Mudsling today after seeing it in person on an R1200R.
It looks really well made and to be very effective at keeping the rear shock and ESA components clean.
I think I’ll probably opt for the one that hugs the rear wheel, similar to the one Lawrence shows a pic of earlier in this thread. That would seem perhaps a bit more effective at controlling debris and moisture, even if it does visually clutter that rear-wheel area more than the other (from what I can tell from pics).

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Just ordered a Mudsling. And I thought I was done ordering stuff.

I am thinking about the black carbon fiber Akrapovic muffler just because it looks cool. But engine runs really well with the stocker and I don’t want to screw it up. Do these need a different tune? Does BMW have them?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I think I’ll probably opt for the one that hugs the rear wheel, similar to the one Lawrence shows a pic of earlier in this thread. That would seem perhaps a bit more effective at controlling debris and moisture, even if it does visually clutter that rear-wheel area more than the other (from what I can tell from pics).
I have recently installed another of these PUIG rear huggers to my R9T, largely to protect the costly and vulnerable OHLINS aftermarket rear shock. The hugger also fills neatly that empty space under the seat that always looks so - err - empty. Let me know if you'd like pix.

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model) - living blissfully by the sea in Redland Bay, near Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia.

Riding my 2017-build 2018-model R9T Roadster with Option 719 upgrades, finished in Blueplanet metallic paintwork with brushed aluminium tank and gold pinstriping, as from late January 2020. Formerly had many R1200 R Roadsters and GSs over too many years since the first R1100 R in 1997.

·
Registered
R1250R
292 Posts
The Akra can is an official BMW option, so no tuning required.

I went for an SC-Project can as I wasn’t keen on the look of the Akra. I was a little disappointed that what were once removable baffles are now welded in to meet Euro 4 regs.

May not be the case in the USA right enough.

It sounds better than the OE can, and its got a good bark on opening the throttle wide, but is very quiet on a steady throttle. So don't expect lots of noise. But whatever, something had to be done about the OE dust bin silencer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have recently installed another of these PUIG rear huggers to my R9T, largely to protect the costly and vulnerable OHLINS aftermarket rear shock. The hugger also fills neatly that empty space under the seat that always looks so - err - empty. Let me know if you'd like pix.
Lawrence, I'd very much like to see more pics of that hugger in place, so I can get a better idea of how it wraps the tire (how far down it goes in the front of the rear tire) and how it fills the general space. Would also be very curious to hear how complicated it was to install. As I'm not gifted mechanically, it does worry me a bit when I see what looks to be attachment to/upon (near?) the brake caliper area.

The belly pan installation is one I'd like to look at down the road a year or two, but I'm thinking this rear tire hugger is more of a sooner-rather-than-later addition.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Lawrence, I'd very much like to see more pics of that hugger in place, so I can get a better idea of how it wraps the tire (how far down it goes in the front of the rear tire) and how it fills the general space. Would also be very curious to hear how complicated it was to install. As I'm not gifted mechanically, it does worry me a bit when I see what looks to be attachment to/upon (near?) the brake caliper area.
The belly pan installation is one I'd like to look at down the road a year or two, but I'm thinking this rear tire hugger is more of a sooner-rather-than-later addition.
Only too happy to oblige, RC. On the wrap-around theme the front/ lowest part of the hugger comes down to within about 3" of the bottom of the rear spring. I extended that cover by the simple and cheap expedient of glueing a short length of stiff rubber strip - about 3mm thick - to the front/ lower part of the hugger, which now gives complete coverage of the chunky but exposed horizontal suspension bearing below the spring. Many wouldn't bother... Elsewhere, the upper/ rear part of the hugger extends along the top of the tyre by about 2.5" rearwards from the vertical centre-line of the rear axle hole.

Installation is pretty simple and can be a one-person job - as a mechanic I make a very fine astronaut, so if I can do it...! The only possibly tricky part is that the weight needs to be taken off the rear wheel to allow the two (new) bolts to be correctly aligned. On earlier Roadster installations I simply put a length of 2" x 4" timber beneath the tyre and wedged it up that way while the bike was on its centre-stand. On the recent R9T install I used a small screw-jack from my wife's car to lift the bike, which is also supported in a rear-wheel paddock stand as there's no centre-stand. The only 'special' tools you need for this job are Torx driver heads to remove the two OE bolts - T50 and T45. The replacement bolts included are conventional Allen/ hex-head keys.

Recent versions of the PUIG hugger come in different finishes, and the one-piece bracket or support arms can be obtained in matching semi-gloss black or silver, depending on the bike. Mine came with the black support arms, but I sprayed them light silver to match adjacent parts of the bike so as to 'lift' visually that rather dark and sombre under-seat area.

The R9T has rather minimalist lines and styling, so I wasn't keen to add anything that might detract from that design feature, but I don't think the hugger in any way intrudes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Lawrence, thanks so much for the pics and the installation lowdown...that looks sharp and pretty effective, and the install doesn’t sounds too onerous.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just ordered a Mudsling. And I thought I was done ordering stuff.
I looked a little bit closer at the Mudslinger this morning and viewed the install directions…my decision to go with the Hugger option was affirmed for me when I saw that you have to use zip ties to secure the Mudslinger to the frame. That’d bug me each time I’d see it.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Kindly let us all know your impressions on the installation process, and subsequent appearance and performance.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
I looked a little bit closer at the Mudslinger this morning and viewed the install directions…my decision to go with the Hugger option was affirmed for me when I saw that you have to use zip ties to secure the Mudslinger to the frame. That’d bug me each time I’d see it.
You have to clip the ends off.

·
2,749 Posts
I must say LOS the R9T looks even better than I remembered seeing it in Sydney. I'm thinking I should've gazumped your offer and secured it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ha, I saw that in the directions and figured out a way to make it better. You can barely see the tie wraps on my black frame because I rotated the thick connector part of the tie wrap to the inside to hide them. The instructions leave them out on the outside, why? My friend has the Puig hugger and in my opinion, the fender really catches my eye as an add on, looks aftermarket, while the Mudsling appears like it could be a stock item.
To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I must say LOS the R9T looks even better than I remembered seeing it in Sydney. I'm thinking I should've gazumped your offer and secured it myself.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could always make me an offer to cross my palm with silver, mike: after all, I've had this bike for almost four months, which is an eternity for me!

Reactions: Panzermann
21 - 40 of 134 Posts