BMW R1200R Forum banner

Can a R1200R be a track bike?

36K views 67 replies 34 participants last post by  Robin_Dean 
#1 ·
I don't know about you guys, but I'm not sure I'd want to go racing with the R1200R. I'm sure the R1200R could handle the race track, but I'd still be worried about dragging the cylinder heads on the ground! Do any of you have track experience on one?

#2 ·
Not really, but what's the ground clearance difference between it and the HP2 Sport? That bike has made a winning racer against all kinds of Japanese, etc. sportbikes. I think if it's close, it could be done, but the R1200R may be best only for track days, unless (like Volvo with its racing Station Wagon in the 80s) just want to prove a point ...

#4 ·
+1

I've seen Harleys at trackdays, but that doesn't make them track-worthy.

Having ridden my R12R at speed on backroads, here are my concerns beyond grounding heads (which you can avoid by heeding the peg feeler warning or get CF head protectors) 1. wind blast on your arms and shoulders goofs up your control, 2. seat padding and seating position not great for hanging off, 3. Telelever-induced rocking with jerky throttle inputs, 4. Oil temps

But, having said that, I've thought about taking mine to the track.

#7 ·
Timely topic as that's one of my questions. I am looking for something with a relaxed riding position but more boost than my V-Strom.

Almost all bikes are sprung too softly if you weigh over 170 or so. The objections I've heard about these bikes primarily have to do with unsprung weight compared to conventionally-suspended bikes. I'd expect to have to upgrade shocks and springs for this use, but I weigh about 260 in full riding gear.

Found a video of the BMW R1200R on a track......//
R1200R VS GSR1000 looks to be a nice race. R1200R can keep up decently.
Not knowing what was done or not done to the bike, with mods im sure it will do well.
If the GSX-R is remotely in view, that's the rider, not the bike.

R1200GS versus S1000RR at NJMP. All the liter sport bikes are around 190 RWHP so that's what the GSX-R should be doing. Many riders are slower on big, powerful bikes because they weigh more, require much better throttle control, and they get lazy. Middlewights can give then fits on technical tracks because they don't have to worry about spinning the rear wheel.

#6 ·
track or not

hi all
the r1200r is very capable of being used on a track , right tyres and rider they will not be left , however power will be down against a gsxr or r1 but handling wise the might get a little embarrassed on corners. with the tele lever front braking can be left very late if you have the bottle . in and out the twistier bends there might be a second in it . the magazine ride and bike have had a lot of write ups over the last 7 years with the gs model against all types of sports bikes and it always does well , bit unfair on the gs really with less power . i ride a gs and a hp2 sport and the gs takes a lot of beating as a all round bike , i am now looking in the next few months to buy a r1200r , not sure which one yet ,like the new twin cam but do not like the clocks . i am sure i would like to use one on track in the future. rca :)

#8 ·
track bike.

good video put up by bmwpower
the bmw was giving the cbr a good run only losing out on the straight , haa , who wants to ride in a straight line . i did notice his late breaking toward the corners ,1+ to the bmw. he also passed a lot of other riders .
i have now sold my gs to keep the r1200r .all round better road bike .
i have seen good gs riders leave a few sports bike behind round bends.
ideal track bike ktm superduke 1000.
rca:)

#9 ·
i've done a few track days on the 1200r, power was not going to compete with a sport bike, but if you have the right form and body position it corners with the best of them. as for dragging the cylinder heads, if you're doing that your bike is definitely too low, i drag the foot pegs and removed the warning bolts, and come close on the heads, but if you're using your body more your bike should not be that low. i'm no racer, i take the track days to make me a better, faster, and safer rider on the street, so my goals may be different but i loved taking the r to the track, passed a few sport bikes on the tight turns and got blow away on the straightaways but anyone can go fast straight right? :). it's all about just improving skill and learning to ride the right way, unless your a racer, and in that case, go get yourself a sport bike that can only be ridden for an hour before everything starts to hurt! lol

#12 ·
Except for leaning over and scraping off the valve covers, I don't see why not. . :)

#13 ·
Nate Kern campaigned a Boxer for Atlanta BMW.
SanJose BMW had a team, also.

Granted, an HP2 or an S would be a more natural platform to start with, but with some mods,you could have fun on your R1200R track days.
That's what it's all about. Enjoying your machine on the track. Safely.

Somebody's always got a faster bike, even Valentino Rossi accepts this.

#15 · (Edited)
You can most definitely track this bike, as previously stated.

Short clip of my bike at VIR-South

Now, this was my first time out on a track ever and the video is of the first half of the day, during which I'm still learning the track, the bike, my comfort level, and practicing the advice being given to me by the CR (course riders). It was a NESBA event and I'm in B Group (beginners). Please bear with my amateur riding. :)

Brand new Pilot Road 2 tires. EBC Double H Sintered Pads, Rotul 600 fluid. ABS and heated grips, engine guards, Akrapovic Exhaust. 2008 R12R with some miles on the clock.

By the end of the day, I was scraping my engine guards around most of the turns. The bike can definitely lean over and hang with the sports bikes if you take the right line. I don't how to compare with other riders since we're all beginners, and some aren't pushing their bikes as hard as they could...

One of the course riders said he saw an R12R in the Advanced Group with race slicks hanging with the other sports bikes very, very well. The rider's skill was definitely top of the group and he was pushing the R12R to its limits. With that said, the bike can definitely fight with the rest of them, holding it's own in the braking zones and corners, only to lose to higher horse power bikes on the straights.

With that said, I'm glad I could personally experience the potential this motorcycle has to offer on the track. Unfortunately, I'd hate to have something happen to this beautiful bike and will no longer see anymore track days. Instead, I'm going to have to pick up a track dedicated motorcycle and start practicing the basics.

#16 ·
You can most definitely track this bike, as previously stated.

Short clip of my bike at VIR-South

Nesba VIR-South 063012 - YouTube

Now, this was my first time out on a track ever and the video is of the first half of the day, during which I'm still learning the track, the bike, my comfort level, and practicing the advice being given to me by the CR (course riders). It was a NESBA event and I'm in B Group (beginners). Please bear with my amateur riding. :)

Brand new Pilot Road 2 tires. EBC Double H Sintered Pads, Rotul 600 fluid. ABS and heated grips, engine guards, Akrapovic Exhaust. 2008 R12R with some miles on the clock.

By the end of the day, I was scraping my engine guards around most of the turns. The bike can definitely lean over and hang with the sports bikes if you take the right line. I don't how to compare with other riders since we're all beginners, and some aren't pushing their bikes as hard as they could...

One of the course riders said he saw an R12R in the Advanced Group with race slicks hanging with the other sports bikes very, very well. The rider's skill was definitely top of the group and he was pushing the R12R to its limits. With that said, the bike can definitely fight with the rest of them, holding it's own in the braking zones and corners, only to lose to higher horse power bikes on the straights.

With that said, I'm glad I could personally experience the potential this motorcycle has to offer on the track. Unfortunately, I'd hate to have something happen to this beautiful bike and will no longer see anymore track days. Instead, I'm going to have to pick up a track dedicated motorcycle and start practicing the basics.
Thanks for sharing, that's a pretty cool video, I'm going to do a track day on September, I'm not afraid but have the same feeling of yours about damaging the bike, I'll be taking it really easy.
After that day, I'll be able to decide if I want to go back or not.

#17 ·
If I had to summarize the R1200R, I would say that It's 95% the sports bike on a track with 195% more comfort and utility.

Check out this thread:
Who Needs a GS? A Little Adventure I'm on. - ADVrider

How many other bikes can hang out with dedicated sports bikes on the track, and still be cross country worthy, fording small rivers, comfortably riding on gravel/unpaved roadways, etc.

This bike is a jack of all trades. You want to track it? Go ahead! :)

#19 ·
R1200GS versus S1000RR at NJMP. All the liter sport bikes are around 190 RWHP so that's what the GSX-R should be doing. Many riders are slower on big, powerful bikes because they weigh more, require much better throttle control, and they get lazy. Middlewights can give then fits on technical tracks because they don't have to worry about spinning the rear wheel.

no litre bike has 190 at the wheel stock. BMW claims 193 at the crank but with parasitic losses in drivetrain it is down to 178 at the wheel. The improved 2012 gsxr has 162 to the wheel. The latest iteration of r bikes dyno at 99 ho to the wheel

That being said, where and when the power comes out is just as important as total power. Any bike can be taken to a track as long as it's prepared according to the tracks rules and if you want to compete with litre sportbikes, you need a litre sportbike. Our chassis and suspension is not really made to dig in corners and our motor is only made to dig out of corners. Our competition is more like super dukes or monsters. equal experience riders really make up the difference. If you wanted I'm sure if you have a lot of seat time you could take out someone who just bought their first sportbike in corners but we will always lose in the straights, even with turbo. :(

#20 ·
First, where is that TURBO???

I have seen somewhere else some dude who took his R on a similar adventure, I'll share as soon as I can find it.

I'm also ready for my track day, I bet there will be people on 250s passing me all the time as well as people in hayabusas slow as ****.

This TV commercial basically sums it all.

#21 ·
Unless you are going to a drag strip, I highly doubt you will see a busa around a road course. They are pretty heavy bikes... :p

#23 ·
Hi everybody. I'm planning on signing up for a track day at Road Atlanta in early April, and this thread was very helpful. It answered my primary question - is it reasonable to take my R12R on a track? The answer is clearly yes.

Are there any mods (besides those mandated by NESBA such as taping lights, removing mirrors, and safety wiring) that you would recommend? For example:

• Should I get special brake fluid?
  • Should I put in a different oil? The bike has 1,600 miles on it so I'm running BMW 20W-50 dino juice
  • What tire pressures should I run? I'm on stock BT-023 tires
  • Any other changes before going on the track?

#24 ·
I rode mine from Brooklyn to the NJ Motorsport park, 140 miles away, went to have dinner, came back to the hotel, covered the lights, check the fluids, secured the oil filter and that was it.

Left everything else stock, and came back home right after the track day was over.

And one of my favorite ones

#27 ·
Thanks for the advice everybody. The track day is in (just under) two weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. I have been on a track once before when I did the California Superbike School (level 1) on one of their S1000RR's. I'm not as nervous as I was that time.

#29 ·
Track day

I had a lot of fun on the track a few weeks ago, embarrassed a number of superbikes in the turns, but they just run away from you when it opens up. I started worrying that I would dump the bike as it was lifting off the pot, later in the day I was climbing off but it looked weird...

If I were going to do more track days, a 600 / 750 rice burner is the way to go...:001_smile:

Attachments

#33 ·
NESBA track day at Road Atlanta 4/6 on R1200R

I did a NESBA track day at Road Atlanta on Saturday and had an absolute blast. The track had a really nice flow to it. It was very hilly which was a little scary at first but really enjoyable after I got to know the track. It’s also a lot curvier than the track map would lead you to believe.

My R1200R performed absolutely flawlessly. It felt really composed and stable when leaned over, even on my stock Bridgestone BT-021 tires. The bike was somewhat eager to turn in, probably because of the wide handlebar, so I had to use a gentle touch on the bars. It also had great drive out of the corners, at least when I was able to get my act together and downshift before entering the corners.

Some pictures of my rear tire are attached. I’m rather proud of the effect on my tires. :D The track had mostly right turns so the right side got chewed up more than the left.

I think I had the only bike there without a fairing. It seemed like everybody, even in the beginner group, had a dedicated track bike! The beginner group also went pretty darned fast. It makes me think that the classification “beginner group” is somewhat of a misnomer. A lot of people zoomed by me on the straightaways, and then I found them bunched up in the corners and slowing me up. I asked someone about this and he laughed and said that many people are “straight line heroes.” A number of people seemed curious about my bike. I’m just glad I didn’t embarrass the R12R as I think I carried pretty decent corner speed. I asked one of the control riders how I could improve and he spent almost an entire session with me. He said that I was following the flow of the track pretty well, but my biggest mistake was that I wasn’t hitting the apexes. He said I wasn’t in the middle of the track, but was still many feet wide of the apexes. I think it’s just a habit from street riding where I like to leave a large safety cushion.

In between sessions, I went to the tire/suspension vendor and had them adjust my rear suspension (I don’t have ESA, and only the rear is adjustable on my bike). I had stock suspension settings, and the sag on both front and rear was pretty high. The tech said that since the front is nonadjustable, he didn’t want to make full adjustment to the rear since it would unbalance the bike. He ended up adjusting the preload towards hard until 3 lines were showing (I’m 5’8” and 153 pounds). He also turned the damping screw from stock about 3/4 turn towards hard. The rear felt MUCH more planted on the following sessions, but now feels way too hard and overdamped in regular street riding, so I just adjusted it back to stock settings this morning. I’ll see how that feels this afternoon.

There was a dark side to Saturday’s track day. Over the course of the day, about 10-12 riders went down, and two were airlifted by helicopter. My wife is a nurse and said that means those riders were on their way to a trauma center. Other riders said they had never seen anything like this. They said that in a typical day, 1-2 riders go down. Nobody was sure what was going on. Maybe spring fever? People going too aggressively on the first track day of the year? They did warn us to take it easy on the first few laps because the track was clean with no rubber down. Despite this, two riders went down on the warm-up lap for the beginner group and one was carried away by helicopter. By the end of the day, this so spooked me that I decided to skip the last track session. Turns out I didn’t need to agonize over that decision as NESBA cancelled the last track session because they were concerned.

All in all, it was really fun and I’m planning on going back to Road Atlanta in May.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.