BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter fell in love with the bike, the problem is that in order for her to be able to ride it it would have to be lowered about 2 inches, i think it already has the low seat since seat height is around 30 to 31 inches.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!
Lupe

·
Registered
2017 BMW R1200R. (Fastest Red) Toronto
121 Posts
A suspension expert could advise you but would think that you would have to forgo the active suspension or somehow be able to calibrate it to the shorter springs for optimal operation.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Hello @Mexican what model/year R1200R do you want lower?

·
Registered
601 Posts
My daughter fell in love with the bike, the problem is that in order for her to be able to ride it it would have to be lowered about 2 inches, i think it already has the low seat since seat height is around 30 to 31 inches.
Lupe
Lupe, Not the least expensive boots, but Daytona Lady Star should give her a lift.

Before you mess with the R12 suspension, which might have a bad outcome, I suggest she look into adding a little leg first. Daytona Lady Star GTX Boots - RevZilla

I'm no towering guy, either, at 5'7" 29" inseam. The low center of gravity and lowish seat on the R12 was a plus for me. I am also a relic at 68 years of age....El Viejo Chaparito

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello @Mexican what model/year R1200R do you want lower?
Hello, i have a 2016 sport ,according to one of the members here, i love the bike but so did my daughter and she wants to ride it, the problem is taht she is about 5-3 and can bearly touch the ground

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hence why we ask that all members include their bike details in their profile (or sig block if you want to brag about your farkles and prior ownership ... ).
Sorry, trying to figure that out, technology and i don't get along very well

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lupe, Not the least expensive boots, but Daytona Lady Star should give her a lift.

Before you mess with the R12 suspension, which might have a bad outcome, I suggest she look into adding a little leg first. Daytona Lady Star GTX Boots - RevZilla

I'm no towering guy, either, at 5'7" 29" inseam. The low center of gravity and lowish seat on the R12 was a plus for me. I am also a relic at 68 years of age....El Viejo Chaparito
:D can you flat foot? I really don't want to mess the suspension up, i heard that it has all kinds of electronic gizmos and it will throw all kinds of codes after that, it may be best just to buy her a smaller bike and i get to keep the 1200:D:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know for a fact the suspension (at least the top of the line ESA version) can be lowered. My bike's previous owner did that. I haven't gotten around to back to dealer to readjust.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lupe
Yes! It can be lowered. And it can be done without altering its suspension characteristics. How do I know this? Because I've done it. BMW makes front and rear struts that are essentially 3/4" shorter than stock. I know 3/4" doesn't sound like much. But as a lifelong inseam-challenged rider, it can mean the difference between being on your tippie toes and getting the balls of your feet down. Sorry, I can't find the part numbers. I bought mine second hand off another forum member and just started installing them without looking at the numbers. I would not recommend paying full retail, if at all possible. Look on these listings and the larger BMW community for someone selling the lower suspension or better yet for you, someone looking to swap lower for standard.
Reminder: You'll also need a shorter side stand and center stand to go with it. (Also available from BMW.) Otherwise you may not have enough lean angle to keep your bike on the side stand. And getting it up onto the center stand could become well nigh impossible.
A friend and I did the project in his shop over the course of a couple weekends. A professional could probably do it for you in an afternoon. The hardest part was wrestling with the side stand and center stand springs.
Again, it hasn't impacted its handling at all. At least at the sub-90% riding that I do. I'm sure a Superbike rider would have issues with it. But the most important benefit is the confidence of being able to get your feet on the ground in a parking lot or making a U turn on a narrow street or maneuvering on a gravel driveway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes! It can be lowered. And it can be done without altering its suspension characteristics. How do I know this? Because I've done it. BMW makes front and rear struts that are essentially 3/4" shorter than stock. I know 3/4" doesn't sound like much. But as a lifelong inseam-challenged rider, it can mean the difference between being on your tippie toes and getting the balls of your feet down. Sorry, I can't find the part numbers. I bought mine second hand off another forum member and just started installing them without looking at the numbers. I would not recommend paying full retail, if at all possible. Look on these listings and the larger BMW community for someone selling the lower suspension or better yet for you, someone looking to swap lower for standard.
Reminder: You'll also need a shorter side stand and center stand to go with it. (Also available from BMW.) Otherwise you may not have enough lean angle to keep your bike on the side stand. And getting it up onto the center stand could become well nigh impossible.
A friend and I did the project in his shop over the course of a couple weekends. A professional could probably do it for you in an afternoon. The hardest part was wrestling with the side stand and center stand springs.
Again, it hasn't impacted its handling at all. At least at the sub-90% riding that I do. I'm sure a Superbike rider would have issues with it. But the most important benefit is the confidence of being able to get your feet on the ground in a parking lot or making a U turn on a narrow street or maneuvering on a gravel driveway.
Thanks for the info!!! Did you lower the front as well or just the rear? Like you said, for a normal rider it won't be a big deal since we are not road racing. I lowered my daughter's ninja 500 on the rear and she never noticed any difference

·
Registered
601 Posts
:D can you flat foot? I really don't want to mess the suspension up, i heard that it has all kinds of electronic gizmos and it will throw all kinds of codes after that, it may be best just to buy her a smaller bike and i get to keep the 1200:D:D
Flat "enough" I guess. In my case, as long as the road surface is even, yes, I can flat-foot my bike. Something you might want to check is the ride height/pre-load settings. There is some range there. I mistakenly adjusted my suspension to the 2 riders + Luggage setting a couple of weeks ago, and it pooched the bike up about 1.5 inches. Noticeably more rigid feel, too.
If it were me, and she is still a novice rider, I'd put her on a bike she can drop without causing 4000 dollars worth of repairs.... Like a Triumph Bonneville. Easy to ride, not a lot plastic or cylinder heads hanging out.
I've tossed my Bonneville in a slow speed lowside, and scuffed up a few things but 200 dollars put it right. I doubt that would be the case for my R12...more like 2 grand!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Flat "enough" I guess. In my case, as long as the road surface is even, yes, I can flat-foot my bike. Something you might want to check is the ride height/pre-load settings. There is some range there. I mistakenly adjusted my suspension to the 2 riders + Luggage setting a couple of weeks ago, and it pooched the bike up about 1.5 inches. Noticeably more rigid feel, too.
If it were me, and she is still a novice rider, I'd put her on a bike she can drop without causing 4000 dollars worth of repairs.... Like a Triumph Bonneville. Easy to ride, not a lot plastic or cylinder heads hanging out.
I've tossed my Bonneville in a slow speed lowside, and scuffed up a few things but 200 dollars put it right. I doubt that would be the case for my R12...more like 2 grand!
You may be right, if she drops it it will be a very bad deal, i may just find her another bike, and keep this one for me, win win situation :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check the classifieds , I think someone was selling shocks to lower the seat height. I thought the
1200r could be bought from BMW with the lower suspension,

·
Super Moderator
R1200R-LC Exclusive, 06/2015, Thunder Grey
4,453 Posts
Sorry, trying to figure that out, technology and i don't get along very well
Lupe, if you click on your avatar (top right of screen) and select Account settings, you can add detail about your location and bike detail. If you also wish to edit your Signature block, there’s a menu item on the left of that screen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts