BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone plugged in an Iphone to the mystery hidden plug in the front of the bike? I bought the little BMW plug w/3 yellow wire doohicky thinking to connect it to something but it doesn't look like it's very Iphone Friendly.

If the Iphone could be mounted on the bar and then connected to the front mystery plug, that would be a nice way to get GPS, radio, phone, etc. mounted without the powerlet wire running to the left side of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
That is an excellent question
Does anyone knows whats the name of the "mystery" plug, or has any pictures??

·
Registered
19 Posts
iPhone 5

How did I missed all this

http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-general-discussions-7/does-12-classic-have-gps-plug-2241/

I'm going to do some good research until I find the way to connect that mystery cable to an iPhone 5 with not much trouble.
I just ordered a holder from china. I'll report back when I know if it is possible to use it on the bike ;). However it would be great to be able to charge the phone as well. I was planning to use it as a GPS.

Bicycle Rainproof 360 Degree Rotating Plastic Case Bike Mount Holder for iPhone 5 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I'm picking up my bike on Friday but maybe someone here can tell me if there is a socket on the r1200r that I could use to plug this:

http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-R/Accessories-Paint-protection/USB-Adapter.html

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the Front Mystery Plug can be wired as a USB socket, that should do it, but the voltage would have to be reduced from 12 to 5. Not sure about the amps.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered a holder from china. I'll report back when I know if it is possible to use it on the bike ;). However it would be great to be able to charge the phone as well. I was planning to use it as a GPS.

Bicycle Rainproof 360 Degree Rotating Plastic Case Bike Mount Holder for iPhone 5 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Hoshiko, also let us know whether that Iphone case is really *all plastic, including the bar mount. I'm not sure I'd trust something all plastic on a motorcycle (as opposed to a bike bike).

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just ran a 12V outlet straight to the battery and leave it under the seat. I just plug in my 12V charger for my GS3 and wait till I jump on to plug it in. I could theoretically plug in gps or whatever strikes my fancy, not sure what amp fuse is in it, but hasn't been an issue.

You can judge what can of amperage to pull through the mystery plug by looking at what gauge wire it is.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like about a 16 gauge

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you run wires off the battery terminal without giving the CAN bus agita? Or do you need a fuse box?

·
Registered
286 Posts
What about putting the phone in a waterproof tank bag? Then run one of the Powerlet luggage electrix adapters to the bag from the switched GPS connector or from a direct-to-battery connection. I'd recommend the former for small electronics, e.g. iPhones, cameras. If you wire direct and forget to unplug the gadget, you'll kill the battery. That's the beauty of the switched connection -- the ZFE cuts power to the circuit automatically a short time after you turn off the ignition.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The best solution would be to run a USB mount from the front Mystery Plug and mount the phone on the handlebar. But I haven't seen a USB port adaptor for that plug

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I keep my phone in my pocket so if I get off the bike without unplugging it yanks back. It is true that if you don't remember to unplug using my method it will kill the battery. No idea how long that would actually take. 16 gauge wire supports 10-12 amps 12V. It has nothing to do with the CANbus, as it is straight to the battery and has an inline fuse.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I keep my phone in my pocket so if I get off the bike without unplugging it yanks back. It is true that if you don't remember to unplug using my method it will kill the battery. No idea how long that would actually take. 16 gauge wire supports 10-12 amps 12V. It has nothing to do with the CANbus, as it is straight to the battery and has an inline fuse.
Eventually it will kill the battery. It is a trickle discharge. The fuse only protects from an overcurrent condition, which you probably won't run into with the small amount of current a phone draws.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Eventually it will kill the battery. It is a trickle discharge. The fuse only protects from an overcurrent condition, which you probably won't run into with the small amount of current a phone draws.

There must be some error in translation. I DON'T USE THE PLUG WITHOUT THE BIKE RUNNING, I know it's a small inconvenience. I realize what the fuse does and the phone charger doesn't put it in danger. Like I said I've never even checked what amp fuse is in it, because I realize the phone is such a low draw. :dizzy: My comment about not sure how long it would take is because I don't know how many amps the charger takes or how many amp hours my battery is rated for. If you knew this information you could theoretically predict how long the battery would live.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK. . .let's focus here. . .:) What we need is a USB port with 3 wires to connect with the BMW Mystery Port attachment and get the voltage reduced from 12 to 5. I can deal with switched or unswitched since it's very unlikely that I would leave my phone on the bike, and as Classic points out, it would be a long time before an Iphone could discharge a 12v motorcycle battery.

So. . .if finds a USB port like that. . . let us know!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
There must be some error in translation. I DON'T USE THE PLUG WITHOUT THE BIKE RUNNING, I know it's a small inconvenience. I realize what the fuse does and the phone charger doesn't put it in danger. Like I said I've never even checked what amp fuse is in it, because I realize the phone is such a low draw. :dizzy: My comment about not sure how long it would take is because I don't know how many amps the charger takes or how many amp hours my battery is rated for. If you knew this information you could theoretically predict how long the battery would live.
Well, you didn't state that you don't use it without the bike running. Since I can only guess at your level of knowledge in electrical matters, I defaulted to basic electricity. Sorry if you were offended. I was only trying to help.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I have the BMW accessory socket fitted but if you run more than 5amp it cuts out. Like Classic11 I too fitted a standard accessory socket and left it under the seat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts