BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some time, my RDC has been playing up:
  • slow to come up on the dash
  • occasionally dropping out (initially just the rear, then the front as well but not necessarily together)
  • occasional overpressure warning (pressure exceeding the maximum safe pressure 5 bar, I think)
A while back, I pulled the module and had a look inside – no evidence of any smoke having escaped.

My GS-911 indicated the sensor batteries were getting low, so I replaced them but it made no difference to the sporadic issues.

I'd been thinking in exasperation that I might pick up a used RDC module for a couple hundred dollars, but decided the other day just to have another look at the connector and apply some dielectric grease. Turns out I'd already applied some grease last time I had it apart so simply plugged it back in – this time pushing it hard, really hard, to ensure it's completely seated. And guess what – it's behaving exactly as it should! Finally ...

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
95 Posts
Electrical issues can be strange. There's been times in my life I've solved electrical problems without knowing specifically what fixed it. There are so many factors when troubleshooting that it's easy to forget what you've done. Or simply not being sure what is going on too. I end up talking to myself a lot.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For some time, my RDC has been playing up:
  • slow to come up on the dash
  • occasionally dropping out (initially just the rear, then the front as well but not necessarily together)
  • occasional overpressure warning (pressure exceeding the maximum safe pressure 5 bar, I think)
A while back, I pulled the module and had a look inside – no evidence of any smoke having escaped.

My GS-911 indicated the sensor batteries were getting low, so I replaced them but it made no difference to the sporadic issues.

I'd been thinking in exasperation that I might pick up a used RDC module for a couple hundred dollars, but decided the other day just to have another look at the connector and apply some dielectric grease. Turns out I'd already applied some grease last time I had it apart so simply plugged it back in – this time pushing it hard, really hard, to ensure it's completely seated. And guess what – it's behaving exactly as it should! Finally ...
Recently had my rear tire replaced and for the first time, I am now having similar issues. Leads me to believe they didn't seat it right either. Did you end up removing the tire again, would suppose you would need to.

·
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@home4sale2 - it’s the receiver module under the seat I’m referring to rather than the sensors. The sensors are sealed - no connectors involved. A tyre change should not impact on the RDC at all, so unless the fitter damaged the sensor, it’s likely coincidental.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Got you, thank you. If I recall, I had plugged the Hexezcan into one of the connectors, is that the RDC receiver or where exactly is it? Mine is 2016. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
I've had/have an issue with the TPM reading on the front tyre. The front tyre teaching is flaky and randomly dropping in and out for over a year and nothing electrical/ electronic was added. The front-wheel sensor was swapped out but no luck.

·
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where exactly is it
It's mounted under the horizontal rail that holds the pillion seat latch. It's marked Shrader, so you can't mistake it.

@mikeS - like I said, try unplugging it, blowing out the connector socket/plug with compressed air, add a little dielectric grease, and push it home quite forcefully, with a jiggle for good measure. That might help. Hope you kept the old sensor as a functional spare ...

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
It's mounted under the horizontal rail that holds the pillion seat latch. It's marked Shrader, so you can't mistake it.

@mikeS - like I said, try unplugging it, blowing out the connector socket/plug with compressed air, add a little dielectric grease, and push it home quite forcefully, with a jiggle for good measure. That might help. Hope you kept the old sensor as a functional spare ...
I shall, PZ. Thanks for the tip.

·
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Location is arrowed by my pen

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts

·
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it slid out or lift?
Depress the locking tab by squeezing the sides, and jiggle as you pull it rearward. Jiggle the connector plug, that is, not your booty … 😬

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Depress the locking tab by squeezing the sides, and jiggle as you pull it rearward. Jiggle the connector plug, that is, not your booty …

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
95 Posts
Could anyone explain why BMW calls a 'TPM' sensor a 'RDC' module?

·
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could anyone explain why BMW calls a 'TPM' sensor a 'RDC' module?
Reifendruckkontrolle. RDC actually stands for Reifen Druck Control.

Roughly, tyre readout control.

Reactions: GenlJuba and tima

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks.

Never would've guessed that.. except that it does make sense when you consider who makes them.. cheers (y)

·
Registered
252 Posts
went ahead, cleaned and greased both connectors (RDC to hex to bike). You don't get the satisfaction click with these connectors but I jiggled a lot (the connector) and appeared to have a faint click on both. Fingers crossed, will report after next ride.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Depress the locking tab by squeezing the sides, and jiggle as you pull it rearward. Jiggle the connector plug, that is, not your booty …
The connector looks bone dry, PZ.

·
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The connector looks bone dry, PZ.
The factory doesn’t use dielectric grease on their connectors, Mike, but I reckon it doesn’t hurt to add a bit to help terminals settle into place.

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
The factory doesn’t use dielectric grease on their connectors, Mike, but I reckon it doesn’t hurt to add a bit to help terminals settle into place.
The connector looks bone dry...

Thanks, PZ. Did you mention there's a battery?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts