BMW R1200R Forum banner

Carbon fiber muffler repair

506 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  r0ckrat 
#1 ·
Something smacked the bottom of my Remus carbon fiber muffler hard enough to crack it through. Not just a simple crack - multiple cracks that cross each other.

A new muffler is $600 plus shipping. Gack.

The cracks are on the bottom so a repair could be mostly hidden. Anyone have any experience patching a carbon composite muffler? I'm thinking epoxy and either fiberglass or carbon fiber fabric to carry the load.

#2 ·
Bummer!
I’d stick with carbon fibre given you’re repairing carbon fibre. From what I’ve seen, it’s easier to work with.
A mate has successfully made custom carbon fibre parts for his Benelli Tre, although normally you lay the layers into a mould, as he did, rather than patch on the outside.
Any YouTube videos out there? Someone must have done this before.

#3 ·
I spent some more time looking at it. Worse than I thought. Not just cracked in multiple places but also spongy from internal delamination.

Ordered the $600 free shipping NOS Ebay stainless steel Remus muffler when I found that new from Revzilla Remus stainless was almost $1.1K + shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.