BMW R1200R Forum banner

CarPlay for Motorcycles

11K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Panzermann 
#1 ·
This might be a useful option for those not wishing to mount their phone on the bars. It’s also glove friendly, which is a boon.

#2 · (Edited)
It is also high on my consideration but will go with my initial plan to use my old iPhone 7 without SIM hot spotted to my iPhone 13.

My initial concern is on how it will function with the my Cardo in intercom mode as the instructions claim that you may have to switch the Bluetooth output from the C5

The C5 unit is getting good initial reactions on other boards and I have been already looking for an AMPS adapter that will allow it up mount to the Navi cradle if I end up getting a C5 CarPlay unit.

AliExpress had a cheaper version of the Winderlich part but it is no longer available.

And use a BMW part to connect to the Navi cradle socket.
83300413585 REPAIR PLUG, 3-PIN - NO. 611656 GPS Connector
Function: 3-pin for LED of anti-theft alarm, optional-accessories plug (device end). Can-bus plug that allows you to splice to a GPS power cord and connect to switched power on your Can-bus model. Middle not used, RH wire is power, LH wire is ground.

#3 ·
If of decent quality, that's a heckuva price for a cell-phone substitute. Too bad it isn't compatible with the current stock cradle for a stock look (and powering). That empty cradle is bad enough, I don't think I'd want this bracketed next to it. For those not bothered by clutter as much as I am, though, it appears to be a very interesting option.

#4 ·
If your not using the cradle, you could probably remove it and fix the CarPlay unit to it, maybe using the rear part of the cradle it a fabricated block to match the four RAM-style plate holes.
Note, of course, it doesn’t replace your actual phone, merely providing a CarPlay interface to it. But a hiccup seems to be that while it can pair with a helmet headset, only the speaker functionality operates, not the microphone.

#6 ·
I prefer to use an old iPhone for navigation mounted with an SP Connect mount & case with wireless charging. I can load a bunch of offline maps and music on it and it works as a back up phone. If it fails, then my main phone will work as the backup navigation device, and also attaches to the SP Connect mount.

I prefer not to use my main phone on the bike to make sure I don't lose it if the mount fails and I can have it next to me in case I'm separated from the bike in an accident (and am able to actually use it then ;-).

#7 ·
I have my Nav6 and my iPhone mounted (latter on a charging base). The biggest issues with the phone for navigation are that the screen is not designed for gloved hand use and pop up alerts that obscure the screen and are difficult to dismiss. I do have a stylus in the top zip pocket of my tank bag when touring, but that’s only useful when you have tine and space to safely use it.

#9 ·
@Panzermann might be your issue is the gloves are not tech-sensitive or touch-screen friendly. What about going to your nearest motorcycle accessory store and testing your screen with one of their tech gloves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I'm not certain I understand the issue - I use Waze and google maps as well as my Nav. With Waze and Maps, I have notifications set on alerts only when navigating. All my gloves are touchscreen friendly. However, any brand glove never gives the fine touch of skin-to-screen.

#14 ·
I'm not certain I understand the issue...
Neither do I. My mobile is firmly mounted in the inside pocket of my jacket, in the powered off position. If I even remember to bring it. Never felt the need to use it for much of anything, except to communicate with my children and grand-children, certainly not for moto navigation. I don't even use my Nav V very much; it's most useful to me when I'm riding in a non-metric country, so I don't have to translate speed limits in my head.

#13 · (Edited)
So many versions of this unit!

Here is the “Pro” version with updated firmware

Check the notes in red for inclusions and exclusions of what works etc. For example, You have to disconnect your smart watch Bluetooth connection.

C$ 202.36 51% Off | MAXCA XPlay C5 Pro Motorbike Wireless Android Auto Apple Carplay Monitor 5 inch Touch Screen IPX7 Waterproof

#16 ·
All iPhones since the iPhone 7 are waterproof. I’ve been using an iPhone 8 for navigation without any sort of rain cover and it works great, rain or shine. There’s also several Android phones besides Samsung that have at least IP67 for quite a while.

With the gloves touch compatibility sorted out I much prefer a device that gives several navigation options (i.e. apps) that are also updated frequently as opposed to a device whose software is at the mercy of a single vendors’ will.

#17 ·
Thanks for the intel on iPhone IP ratings @serrge - I wasn’t actually aware my XS was IP67. It won’t cable-charge though if moisture gets in the Lightning port.
Re the comment on alternative navigation apps, some (many?) are designed to work with CarPlay, which is something of a plus for the CarPlay screen over buying a GPS device if those apps suit you.

#18 ·
Yep, definitely better to use wireless charging to prevent the phone from stopping to charge due to moisture ingress or a fried cable connector.

The Carplay screen still doesn't seem beneficial to me compared to using an older iPhone, given that the Carplay device's functionality is limited (to Carplay), whereas the older iPhone can do a lot of stuff, including running non-carplay apps and act as a backup phone if needed.

#19 · (Edited)
whereas the older iPhone can do a lot of stuff...
I can imagine that, if you are an Apple disciple, you are reluctant to use a new iPhoney on your handlebar ;)
But as an Android Adept we can get a fully Military specced rugged smarthphone, water and shock-proof, glove-operatable, wirelessly charged, on your doorstep for WAY under the price of any dedicated bike-proof GPS unit like a garmin Zumo. I do not see why I would not buy a smartphone dedicated to my bike, keeping my daily high-end phone safe in my pocket. As a fact... I did. Under € 200,-- is a reality...

#21 ·
I can't recall @The Dogfather if you have an LC. If you do and genuinely want the best of both worlds, get yourself a used or new BMW Navigator—integration with the bike wonder wheel and coupled with your iPhone, that's the bee's knees.

#25 ·
I can't recall @The Dogfather if you have an LC. If you do and genuinely want the best of both worlds, get yourself a used or new BMW Navigator—integration with the bike wonder wheel and coupled with your iPhone, that's the bee's knees.

Hi Mike, I do have an LC yes. It came with the Navigator but I removed and have packed away as at the time I was happy just using the phone as I found it simpler. I may have to reconsider.

#28 · (Edited)
If you have an Android, there are a lot of dashboard apps available. In the past, I used Car home Ultra extensively, and even back around 2011 it was a good app. I haven't used it for quite a while, but the reviews look positive.

Edit - Re-installed and checked, and remembered why I'd quit using it, but this one looks promising...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.