BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...or an oil thread by any other name...

is this:
Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-50​
JASO MA-2 API SL​
BMW recommendation for Boxers,
HP2 Sport and K1200LT series
Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 and 10W-50 are fully synthetic 4 stroke
engine oils for modern high performance sport bikes that increase engine
acceleration and power to the maximum rpm.
Based on Castrol’s Racing history and testing, these oils ensure maximum
engine performance without sacrificing engine durability.​

the same as this:

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T - 10W50

Full synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil design for maximum power and performance
Anti-friction formulation is proven to increase acceleration compared to conventional motorcycle oils
Race derived technology for maximum engine acceleration
Extreme high temperature air-cooled and water-cooled engine performance
Excellent shear stability to prevent viscosity breakdown
Exceeds API SL, JASO MA2

It appears that it's the same stuff in a different bottle sold in Eurpope vs. the US?

thanks
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Yes, it appears to be the same Bob. Are you now using this oil in your red Roadster?
Or perhaps contemplating using it soon? Can you get a bulk quantity cheap or something like that? Full synthetic is sometimes pricey.
(My dealer's $22/qt. asking price for the Dino Castrol oil takes my breath away!):clown:

Is this the same as this ?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it appears to be the same Bob. Are you now using this oil in your red Roadster?
Or perhaps contemplating using it soon? Can you get a bulk quantity cheap or something like that? Full synthetic is sometimes pricey.
(My dealer's $22/qt. asking price for the Dino Castrol oil takes my breath away!):clown:
I will be switching at the 8k mark. Oil consumption is considerably diminished now. I can get the Castrol synthetic 10W-50 online for about $12 per quart

Thanks
bob

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Some people don't care either way about details, and to some others, it's the little things that count. It's funny, but the European 1L product has the water-bottle pop-up top which is very quick & easy to use for topping up. Looks like it may even fit the large jug. While USA buyers are stuck with tamper-proof caps and drippy funnels.
Just my 2 cents, but the older Boxers were easier to fill than the filler cap angle on the DOHC engines. And WHY is the fill on the Right side when the window is on the Left? At least they are BOTH on the right side of the new liquid cooled engine. Whatever. end of rant.

Product Compare (0)

1 Litre CASTROL POWER 1 RACING 10W-50 4T Fully Synthetic
Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-50 latest formula "Trizone Technology" for 4-stroke motorcycles..

Product details

£9.98
Ex Vat: £8.32
R.R.P £17.00

Add to Basket
Add to Wish List
Add to Compare

4 Litre CASTROL POWER 1 RACING 10W-50 4T Fully Synthetic
Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-50 latest formula "Trizone Technology" for 4-stroke motorcycles..

Product details

£37.99
Ex Vat: £31.66

·
Registered
363 Posts
4T must be a European thing. Triumph for a long time was specifying Mobil 1 Racing 4T for their bikes years ago, not sure what they spec now.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, my plea to the moderators... Every forum should have a sticky thread named "The Dreaded Oil Discussion." or some such...

Interesting artilce on the subject of oil in the most recent issue of BMWON. Looks like some product named Red Line scores well on the ZDDP scale and Amsoil wins in general. Though Mobil-1 V-Twin came in highly scored.

Also a good discussion here: Oils Well That Ends Well, Part 2 - Sport Rider Magazine

I'm about to make my decision on the switch to synthetic and once made it is irreversible in my mind, so I'm attempting to choose wisely. Though most modern motorcyle designed oils, according to common wisdom are excellent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts