BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
It's my opinion that the levelness of the ground has a lot to do with the ease of lifting.

We have temporarily moved out of our own home, and I'm now parking on grass. I've scooped out a portion of the lawn and inserted a large paving tile so there's something solid for the stand. It doesn't look any higher than the surrounding lawn, but suddenly the bike is much harder to lift onto the stand. I suspect that only 1 cm or so extra between the wheel level and the stand feet makes a significant difference to the effort involved.
No doubt. The leverage changes significantly as the center stand gets lower. The effort is in lifting the bike up, not rolling it back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am a 60 year old skinny geezer. I find that the key to getting it on the stand easily is to really push down hard with your foot on the stand whils t pulling up on the frame. If you wear solid soled boots this makes it twice as easy

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I watched my BMW mechanic do it. He’s smaller than me (160 lbs). Face the bike on the left side with the left hand on the grip and the right hand on the rear grab rail. Place your left foot firmly on the stand lever and push it down to the floor. Hard boots are necessary for me to protect foot bones. Push bike up vertically with left foot firmly on the stand (the bike is now stable on both feet of the stand), and stand straight up with left foot firmly on the stand. The bike goes up and backward on the stand. I have also used my right foot. Just make sure the floor is flat and your foot is firmly on the stand lever.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Center stand related question, when did R bike center stands stop balancing the whole bike? I never owned one, but I seem to remember they would balance up on it and my 1250 doesn't seem to come close to it. My buddy's 1150GS will but it's quite a bit older.

·
Registered
190 Posts
@Pale Roadster - what do you mean? Mine rests on the front wheel, but doesn't take much weight to tilt it back... Would be almost balanced between the two with all the bags installed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't put an effort into it, but sure seems like my front is solidly planted on the center stand. Maybe I need to play with it more?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I can pretty easily turn the front wheel to access the air valve.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I've stacked a bag of sand on the back of the bike to get the front wheel up.

Reactions: Dougl

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have difficulty getting my 18" R on it's center stand because of age related wear and tear. Hard soles are a must. I use this method. I roll the bike backward, run the rear tire up onto a leveling pad I had from my travel trailer, It is about 1 1/2" thick but not a very large square. If It moves with the bike I will put a 1/2" piece of wood in front of it, now it acts like a ramp. Once on the pad it will lift onto the center stand incredible easy. So a little tricky to get it on the pad and stop motion if you are tired but if you are handy you can make a ramped pad out of wood large enough to work easily. Put a small lip on the back of the pad to stop rearward movement but not hinder the bike as it rises on it's centerstand.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts