BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received this email from Wunderlich about a new (?) muffler offering…not really my thing, especially at $1455, but thought some others might find it of possible interest:
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank

Details and sound clips here:

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts

·
Premium Member
735 Posts

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
509 Posts
Reactions: Panzermann

·
Premium Member
735 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
So BOS stopped making the manual adjuster because of Euro 4 but is collaborating on an electronic one with Euro 5 in place? Doesn’t make sense.
I think they still make them, just not for Euro 4/5 bikes. I’ve done a little reading on Euro 3/4/5 and it looks like the requirements affect mostly the fueling maps, cat. converters and noise emissions. So if a slip-on complies with noise emissions, it is essentially the same from one standard to another.
It might be easier to certify an exhaust for Euro 5 in Germany than in Nederlands, even though it is the same thing.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
For an extra $600 or so, you get 3 sound modes: Dr Jekill, Dynamic, and Mr Hyde, in order of raucousness. I suppose Mr Hyde mode is no louder than SC-Project or Remus. So BOS probably got rid of the manual adjustment in favor of the more lucrative and techie alternative.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
I think the key is that their Smart Box interacts with the ECU via CANBUS. I suspect they’ve ensured the silencer meets the relevant Euro at the standard’s measurement points, but strays somewhat outside those. A manually operated lever can’t do that.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R1250GS HP Rallye & 2019 R nineT SCR
136 Posts
Honestly you can just defeat the flapper valve with a ServoBuddy ($60) on the MY19+ R/RS/GS, as system opens up at 2k+ rpm anyhow. Then OEM or aftermarket exhaust, and you will get all the extra noise you want. Plus the run-on pops as you roll-off the throttle

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
199 Posts
This company is very close to where I live. I know them for their custom chopper exhausts. I had no idea they sell anything that fits a BMW ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
This came up in my YouTube feed:

Reactions: Panzermann

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
As I surmised, they work around the testing windows.
They lost me when they said it’s dealer fit only.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R
104 Posts
As I surmised, they work around the testing windows.
They lost me when they said it’s dealer fit only.
I had a similar response when i saw the video - i give my dealer enough money.

I do think if you live somewhere where horses are ridden ( as shown in vid) it might be courteous to have a whisper mode - although if you just slow down, seems like the same thing would be accomplished.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts