BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at picking up a 2013 R1200R classic and was at the dealership last night talking with the salesman. I asked if the bike was a California model bike, I am in New York, and he said that all BMW bikes are 50 state bikes. The reason I asked was to find out if there was a charcoal canister on the bike. I have had some annoying vapor lock issues due to charcoal canisters in the past and generally try to avoid them. He then told me that BMW no longer puts a charcoal canister on the bike and there is a way to make it California legal without the canister. I found this hard to believe, but looking at the bike, I could not see a charcoal canister. Is this true?

By the way, the bike looks amazing. I am coming from a M1100 Monster which I love, but is not very good for two-up touring. I have done a lot of long multi-week trips on the monster and will keep the bike, but my girlfriend enjoys riding two-up and wants to do some long trips together. Having a girlfriend that likes to ride pile-on is a very new thing for me, pretty exciting. After looking around at different options and trying to avoid getting a heavy touring bike, we were close to getting the new hyperstrada when a friend suggested we look at the r1200r. I owned a 2005 12GS, but never thought about the r12r. We both instantly loved the bike. Anything I should know before pulling the trigger?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I was told the the black plastic cylinder directly behind the handlebars was the charcoal canister. I live in Florida, so it would seem that his "50 state" claim was correct, but his "no charcoal" claim was wrong. I'll look in my Haynes manual when I get home for verification.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, the charcoal canister is located right behind the front fork on the right hand side (if sitting on the bike) near the horn. It is about the size of coke can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure it had to be somewhere. As usual, you can never rely on the information from a sales person. Thanks again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Charcoal Canisters

You know, BMW needs to do something about the charcoal canisters falling off. Came out to the bike one morning and found mine gone. :devil2: May have something to do with turning off the lights in the garage.

:iagree:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I need help to see the light...I know what the charcoal cannister does...and also the exhaust baffle and similar somewhat antagonistic stuff.

But I don't understand how performance is enhanced via the "loss" of the cannister. Is there a measurable difference after cannister loss? Anyone willing to volunteer re-routing of hoses after removal?

I'm kinda hoping for something significant...similar to the "loss" of an EGR valve on an '80's sloppy US V-8 engine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know what removing the canister on a R12R will do, but on my 2009 Guzzi V7 Classic removing it made a huge difference in the way the engine runs. There was no HP increase, but the engine is much smoother, idles at 1K instead of 1200 rpm, after market exhaust cans no longer pop and bang under deceleration and cold starts were improved.

On the Guzzi, the output from the canister feeds into the intake runners between the throttle bodies and head. When I removed the canister, I ran a tube between the nipples on the intake runners. I think that improved the balance and made the engine much happier.

I haven't removed the canister from my R12R as it runs really well with it in place. When it comes off of warranty I may look into removing it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I think if it's functioning, removing it does two things.
Cosmetic
room for an aftermarket horn.

I've noticed no performance increase, perhaps imaginary increased gasoline smell, but I like the look of the front without it. Some have said it weighs 5#. I don't think it's that much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Charcoal Canister

I agree with Fudge. It is cosmetic and allows a place to put a real horn. Also, if the bike falls over it is possible for gasoline to flood the canister and cause additional venting problems. I removed the canister and ran a vent tube from the tank to the low point under the battery. I used the same vent tube that went to the canister, I made a plug to cap the left carp input from the exhaust of the canister. Removing the canister probably does nothing for performance but freeing up space.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I think if it's functioning, removing it does two things.
Cosmetic
room for an aftermarket horn.
Some aftermarket horns are bigger. But some aren't: I pulled the stock bleater, and with some jiggling (moving the charcoal cannister's solenoid) fit two Fiamm Freeway Blasters up there without removing the cannister. Makes the bike sound like a German car - pretty loud. I just paralleled the wiring; the body controller doesn't mind the extra current.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Maybe the charcoal is so that if stranded beside a deserted highway because your fuel-strip failed you could bbq some road kill to stay alive until help comes.

L of S

1 - 16 of 16 Posts