BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 12% oil loss normal after 6.5Km for a r1200r with 25Km?
Would this be enough to display a check oil level alert?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Low oil alerts typically only happen when you are critically low...perhaps as little as 1 quart (US) remaining. You actually don't need 4 quarts to safely run, but it ensures proper lubrication with some reserve. There is a minimal level where delivery of lubrication would be impaired due to the sump running dry. I'm not sure where that is, but 12% of total capacity shouldn't pose a threat.

Now, you're talking about 12% oil loss after essentially 4,000 miles (US). I'd be concerned as I normally notice no oil loss from amount drained and recovered compared to what I put in. Of course, I might not notice a 10% loss unless I marked the bottle to know what 4 quarts in was on the bottle before I put it in the motor.

How are you determining the loss? Measurement of oil drained against oil added?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low oil alerts typically only happen when you are critically low...perhaps as little as 1 quart (US) remaining. You actually don't need 4 quarts to safely run, but it ensures proper lubrication with some reserve. There is a minimal level where delivery of lubrication would be impaired due to the sump running dry. I'm not sure where that is, but 12% of total capacity shouldn't pose a threat.

Now, you're talking about 12% oil loss after essentially 4,000 miles (US). I'd be concerned as I normally notice no oil loss from amount drained and recovered compared to what I put in. Of course, I might not notice a 10% loss unless I marked the bottle to know what 4 quarts in was on the bottle before I put it in the motor.
lert
How are you determining the loss? Measurement of oil drained against oil added?
Added one half quart to reach full capacity after check level alert.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
Oil level alert will come on only when the level is below the sight glass ring. How far, I’m not sure, but I’ve had it come on when I stopped and put the bike on the side stand with the engine running while I checked my phone. Of course, the actual oil level was fine.

It’s unusual for an LC to need a top up between services, but not unusual for some to be consumed. Half a quart (about 500 ml in proper language) in that distance is nothing to be concerned about in terms of internal combustion engine oil usage. Car manufacturers’ handbooks often quote a litre in 1000 km as not being ‘excessive’ (but it would be unusual!).

Are you sure you checked the oil under the correct conditions in both cases, and filled to the same point?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ah. Good to know.

Were you on level ground when the alert happened? I’ve seen the engine icon appear when stopped, but it was inconsistent…making me wonder if I was at an angle that tripped the sensor.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The low oil light should not come on until the oil is below the minimum level in the site glass but some wetheads the low oil warning comes on early if the oil is below the middle of the window.
We get the low oil warning on our 2016 bikes if the oil is below the center of the window.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil level alert will come on only when the level is below the sight glass ring. How far, I’m not sure, but I’ve had it come on when I stopped and put the bike on the side stand with the engine running while I checked my phone. Of course, the actual oil level was fine.

It’s unusual for an LC to need a top up between services, but not unusual for some to be consumed. Half a quart (about 500 ml in proper language) in that distance is nothing to be concerned about in terms of internal combustion engine oil usage. Car manufacturers’ handbooks often quote a litre in 1000 km as not being ‘excessive’ (but it would be unusual!).

Are you sure you checked the oil under the correct conditions in both cases, and filled to the same point?
Reasonably sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The low oil light should not come on until the oil is below the minimum level in the site glass but some wetheads the low oil warning comes on early if the oil is below the middle of the window.
We get the low oil warning on our 2016 bikes if the oil is below the center of the window.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah. Good to know.

Were you on level ground when the alert happened? I’ve seen the engine icon appear when stopped, but it was inconsistent…making me wonder if I was at an angle that tripped the sensor.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
With the oil level straight in the middle of the sight glass, I was getting the check warning every time I triggered the automatic check as per the instruction manual. Filling the oil up to 3/4 or 4/4 of the min-max scale got rid of the annoying false alarms and I no longer get the oil check warning in the dash.

·
Registered
295 Posts
With the oil level straight in the middle of the sight glass, I was getting the check warning every time I triggered the automatic check as per the instruction manual. Filling the oil up to 3/4 or 4/4 of the min-max scale got rid of the annoying false alarms and I no longer get the oil check warning in the dash.
Same for us. When I change the oil I make sure to get the oil level between the 3/4 and max level.
The service manager said changer the sensor usually did not fix the problem and a friend in another state was told the same thing by his service manager.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts