BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ‘14 Camhead with 33k miles on it has a center stand which hits against the bottom side of the swingarm when fully retracted. This happens both when you roll it off the center stand and also on rugose roads making an unpleasant clattering noise.

It is a hard enough knock that is has made a mark on the swingarm.

The rubber stop on the left hand side of the center stand is still there and doesn’t look worn down. I’m wondering whether a replacement (longer) stop will suffice or if possible my center stand is bent and causing the premature contact.

Any experience with this problem that can point me towards the solution?

·
Registered
212 Posts
That is going from mark to very serious damage. I would see if you can loosen the mounting bolts and twist it away, before re-tightening. If that doesn't work I would remove it, and do whatever it takes, heat and bend maybe, to get it to clear.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,848 Posts
Are the pivot bolts worn?

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve measured the centerstand wrt left and right hand side fixed points and it doesn’t appear to be bent @Pale Roadster . And the pivot bushing has a tiny bit of freeplay @Panzermann but not enough to explain why it hits the swingarm. So for now I’ve gone the easy route. Had a new rubber stop made which is a 1.3 cm longer than the existing one. This has allowed me about one cm of clearance between centerstand and swingarm.

By the way, what kind of clearance (swingarm - centerstand) do you guys have on your bikes?

Sorry about the dirty bike but it pours just about every other day around here as we are in the midst of rainy season.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,848 Posts
I don’t have a camhead but it seems the exhaust is used as the bump stop. Is your exhaust fitted too high for some reason?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts