BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Panzermann and the posted instructions, the side panel was easy to remove for the first step.
I had to locate the Clearwater wiring harness block on the frame behind the radiator to avoid fork interference up top.
This didn't work

This did work

I found that snaking the power cord and data cable was much easier if I unsnapped the lid of the box of the "chase" for the bike's wiring. It was easy to do it with my fingers and easy to close the tabs after I had snaked the wires through.

Next I wanted to get a clean bend for the cables going into the chase so I found it much easier again to just remove and replace the plastic duct behind the radiator, one screw and one button rivet (reusable).
Socket extension is on the screw..

Button underneath overflow hose

Entrance to the chase, the white tie wrap is the "fish"

I made an amateur video as well, not really good at it!

After it was all said and done, I started her up and the lights worked BUT, soon after, I began smelling that electrical acrid burnt wire smell and almost crapped my pants.
I immediately shut her down and began sniffing around to see what I had f'd up.
I retraced all my connections and everything looked OK.
Started her up again and crap, the smell returned,
A piece of clipped tie wrap fell on the exhaust header under the left side aluminum cover and was hidden.
It took way too long to find it.......

Damn, there's a few years lost of my old age!
Better pics to come, the yellow filters give me amazing conspicuity and are easily removable for night time.

·
Registered
167 Posts
TH, that's a very handsome beast you have there. You must be as happy as a dog with two tails! The mods look so well done, they could be OEM. Great job & thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I am thrilled with this bike, especially after having a Ducati XDiavel S beforehand.
It was always broken in some way or another for the two years I owned it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, probably the last tip for anybody installing an auxiliary tail light mounted near the license plate, Clearwater Billie or whomever's. I wanted to get the power wire close to invisible so I took the underside cover off by removing the two screws from the top under the pillion seat and the three screws visible from the underside. Then I drilled a small access hole to thread the power wire into the taillight stalk and followed the existing wires up into the underseat power connections. I put the cover back on and it's a win! There are no visible wires to muck up the install.
It would be easy to put a rubber grommet in the hole I drilled or a dollop of silicone, but I don't think it is necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts