BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After I got done bleeding my F&R brakes which were overdue, I decided to check the clutch fluid for the first time as well, bike on 30K miles. As I loosened the screws, on my last one and the cap literally (slight exaggeration but you get the point) flew off. I lost a fair bit of liquid in the process but even when I put in the cap, it was still full enough that more fluid came out. I was not pressing in the clutch, no reason to, bike in neutral on center stand. Also, I noticed the fluid is orange and I know there's been debate on the forum about orange vs blue. Unless the dealer changed it which was the first 600 miles service they did (since then I have done all the maintenance on my own), this is original factory fluid. What the heck did I do wrong in checking the fluid? Was this overfilled? Even if I am to add to it, just pressing the cap will make it leak out again so I think the level is now what it's supposed to be. Have I introduced air into the system? Nothing else related to clutch (slave or otherwise) was touched. Perplexed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I dunno but now I'm curious. If you figure it out please let us know.

Tempted to pop the cover on my '16 to see if it does that. Nah, if it works don't mess with it.

Reactions: equ and MGL

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned up the area, put the lid back on and all I know so far is that on the test ride, it shifted like it always does.

Reactions: MGL

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, good to know. Would think it’s a good idea therefore to relieve the pressure occasionally then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For Clutch fluid, ride more, worry less, noted.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I picked this comment up somewhere, thought I share. Interesting coincidence…

If it pre 2015 and before you tear your bike in half check your clutch fluid reservoir level.
I know it sounds counter intuitive but as the clutch plate wears more fluid is forced into the reservoir until it becomes overfull.
If it’s overfull a vacuum is created that prevents the clutch from being fully released.
Make sure you’ve got a good centimetres or so of free room at the top of the reservoir.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts