BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Not sure if u guys experienced this but I ran out of gas today in the middle of corn fields in MD. Computer was showing I have 40 miles until the tank ran dry but it actually ran out right then. If it wasn't for the goodness of people I would still be pushing the bike now toward a gas station. Now I know better:fill the tank after 200 miles and all will be fine.

I am disappointed tough by the lack of usefulness of the on board computer. It is a feature I wanted to use. On my harley when u run out of gas one just turns the gas knob 180degrees and u run on reserve for another 50 miles. easy...

Any of you had the same computer problem or is it just my bike ? Or maybe I don't get how it supposed to work...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
597 Posts
The miles-to-empty function is not consistently accurate. If you ride through a whole tank of gas at the same throttle level and speed, it's pretty close; if not, it can be significantly inaccurate.

Many of us geezers habitually re-set Tripmeter 1 when filling the tank, and also reset the average mileage readout at the same time, so the average only reflects the current tank. As you suggest, starting to look for gas at around 200 miles - less if you're really hammering it, perhaps more if not - is prudent.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Some other geezers habitually carry extra fuel in a safety approved fuel container stowed in the pannier case when the location and distance of the next petrol station is not known. There are some R1200R owners whose fuel strip and onboard computer perform flawlessly. That fact doesn't console the riders plagued by fuel strip failures in the least, and it is a widespread and ongoing problem that BMW has not directly confronted IMHO.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
You cannot assume you'll get 200 miles on a tank, unless your riding experience will consistently reproduce that. Wind and terrain, stop and go will significantly reduce that 200 figure. It will reduce it even with highway miles, though less so.
As the above members said, +1.

Having gone through two bad fuel strips that showed wildly optimistic miles remaining when bone dry, do not rely on the miles to empty. Unfortunately, as I described above, even the odometer can be misleading.

If you feel that your fuel strip has failed, if you feel it is/can be a safety issue, as I do (but not everyone feels that way), then as your owner's manual advises you should report the malfunction to the NHTSA. They have a website and it is easy to do and will not get the NSA looking over your shoulder anymore than they already do. 8)

Failures of the fuel strip are WELL documented. google "r1200 BMW fuel strip failure." Be prepared for an evening of reading.

John

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I reset my Trip 1 at every fill up...I wouldn't call myself a geezer :)

Seriously though, it's a habit I picked up from my Rebel 250. It didn't have a gas gauge, and I wasn't a big fan of switching to reserve in non-emergency situations, so I used the trip odometer to track my mileage. Not a bad habit, and I actually do this in my car as well, which has a fairly decent on board computer (2006 VW GTI).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Cug, but this is exactly what i do on my Harley and never had a problem. I allowed myself to be drawn into a false sense of security because everyone of the on-board computer. We should not have to keep track of miles and calculate averages. I am sure you dont do that on your car and probably never had a problem. is it too much to expect that an expensive bike has this feature working too? i dont think so... but now i am prepared

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
And if you check the parts diagrams: BMW has removed the fuel strip altogether, and replaced the fuel pump with a different one. My bet is that the new pump has a float with a contact for the reserve light which is likely to be very reliable, while the new model R will have a non-fuel-strip based system.

cug, Please POST those new parts diagrams, or a link to them.
RealOEM Parts still shows a fuel strip for April 2013 build.
A float would be a welcome change.
If you can see a float in your new R1200R fuel tank on Saturday, that would be great!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Could the part number difference be related to whether or not the on board computer option was selected? 536 vs 071?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Found this link. I think a few folks on this forum should read it.

How to Avoid Running Out of Gas on a Motorcycle - Fuel planning tips you can use on your next ride

Man, how did motorcycles survive for almost a 100 years without a fuel gauge.

Use the odometer. Reset it when you fill up. Depending on the conditions (in town, freeway, back roads) start looking for a gas station between 150 and 200 miles.

Oh, I always fill all the way up the filler neck...well within an inch of the top. That should give me about 5.5 gallons. That's .7 of a gallon more than the factory spec of 4.76 (18 liters). No need to carry a spare half gallon or more. 3500 miles and no problems and no fuel leakage. The orange filler neck will probably be removed soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point Cug. I will complain to BMW and report it to NTSA. BTW, a fellow GS rider told me there was a recall on the fuel strip a few years ago. True? Where would we find out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts