BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,841 Posts
I understand why you guys say to check the GS but I already did. Great bike, but wasn't for me and kinda annoyed by the wooshing sound coming from the bottom front of the bike too. Dealer said it's normal for a GS, something about an artificial airbox or something created by the way the bike's front is designed. Anyway, it will be either the R1250R, the Z900RS or (maybe) the FTR1200 which I'm also testing out.

Any rumours about an upcoming model change for 2022? Or can I be pretty certain the R1250R will not be changed as it is today for a while? If BMW would update the R1250R with a more retro-looking/round headlight, I would def wait for it. Front is the only part I kinda dislike a bit. Also seems the R1250R is somewhat less popular right? Strange, almost any review I've read is generally very positive, yet very few to be found let alone not that many people I know that have one. Most seem to be focussed on the S1000R when going for a naked, or a GS or RT for comfort.
I also like the FTR but it hasn't got a proper fuel tank. :unsure:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
What is often overlooked, though, is that in actuality most people ride on the road rather than the racetrack, so that zingy top end rarely gets a run. Grunty torque with a more than acceptable top end, great everyday ergos, decent pillion space and good load carrying capacity count for a lot. A top case on an S1000R would look dorky, but on my R1200R it looks at home, and stays on my bike 95% of the time.
I 100% agree, in fact... decent torque down-low, comfort and practicality without looking like you want to conquer the desert, is something I very much appreciate in this model. the GS might be very good, but I think 99% of the people buying one never go offroad nor "need" the specific things it offers.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
I also like the FTR but it hasn't got a proper fuel tank. :unsure:
Early models had pretty dodgy fuelling when cold, too. Don't know if that's been sorted.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I could not agree more.
Going from an FJR to a R1200R really brought the fun of riding back to me.
Only problem is fixing an USB socket. Tupperware comes in handy for that purpose...
If the one you buy has NavPrep, you can get a phone cradle that snaps into the nav cradle and either provides 2 USB ports or wireless charging...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
38 Posts
If the one you buy has NavPrep...
Yes I have seen that. No I don't have the navprep on my bike.
I did find the nav-connector though. Are there any aftermarket wireless chargers making use of that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Did a long test-drive today, drove the R1250R for about 150km over about 3 hours. Really loved about everything about it. Great performance, comfortable, quality feeling. Got quite a bit of friends calling it an old man's bike or "boring" but it really did not feel that way to me. In fact, I had a lot of fun in the twists and small backroads and man does it pull. Now need to decide if I can look beyond it's..well..looks and if I can choose this over the Kawasaki Z900RS which is equally great, looks amazing, but of course has less tech and performance. I would get it in Mineral Grey with all the packs (it's in stock at my dealer).

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Did a long test-drive today, drove the R1250R for about 150km over about 3 hours. Really loved about everything about it. Great performance, comfortable, quality feeling. Got quite a bit of friends calling it an old man's bike or "boring" but it really did not feel that way to me. In fact, I had a lot of fun in the twists and small backroads and man does it pull. Now need to decide if I can look beyond it's..well..looks and if I can choose this over the Kawasaki Z900RS which is equally great, looks amazing, but of course has less tech and performance. I would get it in Mineral Grey with all the packs (it's in stock at my dealer).
When people call my R1200R an old man's bike, I flip up my modular helmet and laughingly say, "yep". (I'm rapidly closing in on 72 and have a white beard.)

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
38 Posts
... Got quite a bit of friends calling it an old man's bike or "boring" ... now need to decide if I can look beyond it's..well..looks
I can imagine someone saying that about an ST1100 or an R1100RT, but someone saying that about an R12++R is probably not out of his toddler stage...
And I do not understand your statement when the alternative you suggest is a.... RETRO BIKE???

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Anyone says your R12R is an old man's bike, have 'em follow you through some twisties.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: sturgeon

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
35 Posts
Good to hear you got an extended test ride. Oddly, I ended up at a Kawasaki dealer, sat on a z900rs, amazingly light compared to my 1200R camhead, a big plus for me. I like the versatility of the BMW as far as how easily it is to turn into a sport tourer with hard bags, shield, etc, and shaft drive is a plus. It's possible with the Z900 too I guess.

I kind of thought the LC bikes have shed much of the "old man's bike" image, maybe more of a bike for 40-50 year olds, a balance of sporty and practical. The cam & hexheads still have the some of "pipe and slippers" image going on, which I happen to like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yeah the z900rs is amazing, still a bit in doubt. Loved that bike. It is still a shame I need to let go of the Harley, rode for an hour yesterday and again had backpain and felt stiff after coming off the bike. Rode the bmw for 3 hours no issue.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
With its more trad looks, the camhead and prior models still tend to be aligned to the pipe and slippers image. As @v-rider says, though, I'd have thought the LC would have distanced itself a little from that image. What probably keeps it linked is that it's a premium priced bike compared to some of the crotch-rockets available at a sharper price and hence only the more mature rider (i.e. kids left home) tend to treat themselves to one. Anyone who mocks them likely hasn't ridden one (pre-LC included).

Reactions: v-rider

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah the z900rs is amazing, still a bit in doubt. Loved that bike. It is still a shame I need to let go of the Harley, rode for an hour yesterday and again had backpain and felt stiff after coming off the bike. Rode the bmw for 3 hours no issue.
Some commentary from me...

I bought my first R bike in 2015, it was a 2012 R1200R, camhead (same was r9t engine), with ESA & bags.. After five years with it, last year, I lost my senses and sold it for a z900rs. Why? Not sure, maybe covid did something to my brain... Loved the looks and, I thought, the sound.

After one year, some tweaks to the Z (16T front sprocket, Shad hard cases), I'm back on a 2017 R1200R LC.

Bikes are personal, Z people love their bikes but for me, there is no comparison. The brakes & suspension of the bmw are worth every penny. I do a mixture of short rides and 200-300km days (just like you), however, I also do significant portion of those days on highways. The Z's rear suspension was awful on my back. I also felt like my body never "grabbed" the bike, the retro design didn't work for me, the 4-cyl, as good as it was, didn't work for me. The R is better against the wind as well (lower body). I can press a button to take a passenger, heated grips are standard etc. etc.

The Z had a few things I miss but not nearly enough to ever consider it again. Low rpm torque combined with super low gearing meant around town was very easy. Z's engine is incredibly smooth, like a turbine, until 6000 rpm. With my gearing change, I was rarely above that as it is very torquey. I find inside village drives frustrating in the bmw, hard to get to 2nd gear or 3rd, as gearing is tall. This was true for the camhead as well, but I prefer the convential front of the LC, and the LC also has the wet clutch. The r9t is geared better, but ride quality may suffer compared to ESA, practicality suffers (grips, bags) and again dry clutch (not a fan).

If the r1250r feels good from low rpm, I would not hesitate if I were you. They are on different planets of comfort & capability, the Z and the R, they cannot be compared. The Z seems to have good ergos to sit on but those same ergos do not work as well on a day of touring. The R ergos always needed fixing for me. 1st step, get lowered pegs. Second maybe bar risers, maybe not. Then adjust seat height (4 to choose from). Finally put on a windshield. Voila!

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
35 Posts
It is still a shame I need to let go of the Harley, rode for an hour yesterday and again had backpain and felt stiff after coming off the bike. Rode the bmw for 3 hours no issue.
Out of curiosity, is the back pain you get on the Harley from seating position or harsh rear suspension, or something else. BTW, I also have a Harley, an 1987 FXRS-sp, very comfortable, particularly the seat. At one point I bought a Corbin seat (they're pretty hard) it looked great, but transmitted every bump to my back and kidneys. Sold the Corbin and went back to stock. Here's a pic, I've had it 31 years, 214K miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Out of curiosity, is the back pain you get on the Harley from seating position or harsh rear suspension, or something else. BTW, I also have a Harley, an 1987 FXRS-sp, very comfortable, particularly the seat. At one point I bought a Corbin seat (they're pretty hard) it looked great, but transmitted every bump to my back and kidneys. Sold the Corbin and went back to stock. Here's a pic, I've had it 31 years, 214K miles.
I think it's a combination of both. Just went for an hour ride, and back is killing me. Sometimes it's ok, but sometimes it's just no fun. Combination of shock and seating position, think I got about the worst Harley model you can get from what I can tell, lots of people have a hard time finding comfort on the fxlrs. I have a feeling it would be better with the bars closer to me, so I sit a bit more upright but then the suspension will still be only 3.3". I know I can change it up to get it more comfortable but that costs a lot and still uncertain if that would be 100%.

Very torn now...can either get a Heritage Classic 114 which is supposed to be very comfortable but can't test ride it. Rode the R1250R and it was a very nice ride, but I'm still not 100% sold on its looks. Yeah I'm a bit of a poser I admit. Very afraid to make a bad choice, the only certain choice is the FXLRS has to go. It really is a choice between form vs function. I really love the way a Harley looks and how I feel riding one, but I'm pretty sure the BMW is 'better' in every way except the looks (for me).

For reference, this is me on my FXLRS:

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
376 Posts
Anyone says your R12R is an old man's bike, have 'em follow you through some twisties.

Cheers, Dave
An interesting YouTube video just went up earlier today (I think RikkyTang! is a member here) that shows the same rider on the same track riding a S1000R against a R1250R, and the 1250 takes the prize by a hair. While it's an interesting exercise in showing that it's just as much about the rider as the bike, it also goes to show that the R1250R is just as performance-oriented as bikes considered more sporty...it's just in a more sophisticated, comfortable package.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts