41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,841 Posts
Not when you consider the 1250 had back markers getting in the way.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
. . . I also have a Harley, an 1987 FXRS-sp, . . . Here's a pic, I've had it 31 years, 214K miles.
Very impressive, both for you and your Harley.

A Harley dealer tech once told me the big Harley touring models sometimes had to be re-framed after 100k+ miles due to their weight, design, metallurgy, etc. No idea if that's true, and no intent to impugn the reputation of The Motor Company (I like & appreciate the Big Twins), but it wouldn't entirely surprise me either - the touring models in particular are big heavy bikes, and typically not ridden to those kind of miles.

Cheers, Dave

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
. . . Just went for an hour ride, and back is killing me. . . I really love the way a Harley looks and how I feel riding one, but I'm pretty sure the BMW is 'better' in every way except the looks (for me) . . .
If you love the Harley ride, look & lifestyle, maybe consider a touring model like the Road King. My one Harley, which I really enjoyed, was a '03 Road King which I took on a couple long multi-state trips without incident. That pop-off windshield was like getting two bikes in one. Just a thought which I'm sure you've already considered.

The BMW is a great bike, just like the Harley is, and Beemer riders would welcome you into the fold, but maybe you're just a Harley guy, like I'm a BMW guy - all good, no harm no foul, different strokes for different folks.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I am a Harley guy for the looks, the roughness, the soul etc but my back simply disagrees. I like the bmw a lot, the only thing holding me back a little is the modern style which I am not quite used to (considering other bikes I had). The r9t looks cool but isn’t that good for the back either (suspension). The r1250 really was very comfortable for me, just need to convince myself it will fit me looks wise. Stupid I know.

Roads are just so bad here where I live each time I get thrown around on the bike I hate it. On smooth roads I love it. A heritage or road king might be better but no way to test them here. Bmw had all models available which makes choosing very simple. And I will NOT buy another bike without extensive testing.

For now, I think I will need to choose between modernity (bmw r1250r) or style (kawasaki z900rs) if I leave the Harley world.

·
Registered
348 Posts
An interesting YouTube video just went up earlier today (I think RikkyTang! is a member here) that shows the same rider on the same track riding a S1000R against a R1250R, and the 1250 takes the prize by a hair. While it's an interesting exercise in showing that it's just as much about the rider as the bike, it also goes to show that the R1250R is just as performance-oriented as bikes considered more sporty...it's just in a more sophisticated, comfortable package.

The 1250 traction light was on a lot.
Is it a traction light or a shift indicator like the white light at the top of the screen?

Reactions: Tvrdi

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
it also goes to show that the R1250R is just as performance-oriented as bikes considered more sporty...it's just in a more sophisticated, comfortable package.

It reminds me of an experiment carried out a good few years ago by a bike mag in the UK. A bunch of reasonably experienced bikers (not racers or track day addicts) were taken for a days fun to a track. The bikes were R1’s and R6’s. They were given some tuition and some time to get to know the circuit. Then they went out on the R6’s for some fast laps and to set a time. Next they were given some time on the R1’s and then back out to try for a time. All were blown away by the R1, and all felt they were considerably quicker on the R1, but in reality, the times showed a clear majority were actually quicker on the R6.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's easier to carry more speed into a corner if you don't approach it at light speed... The R1 gets up and moves, so you have to throw more anchor before the corners... and judging entry speed in those circumstances is harder... :) And weight makes a difference, of course.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
It's easier to carry more speed into a corner if you don't approach it at light speed...
aka "Slow In, Fast Out".

Cheers, Dave (fast in, slow out)

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Will need to decide this week…man this is hard. I know this is something I need to decide for myself. Anyway, anyone else got something to say about the comfort this offers for a 47yr old with lower back problems that likes to ride for about 300km a day with frequent stops?

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
I believe the BMW will easily meet your needs, especially given a wide variety of aftermarket seats, shocks, screens, etc. if needed.

I also believe the Harley will be more your style and you should try to finagle a test ride on a Road King or other touring model before going final.

I've owned and traveled on both an R12R and a Road King, both worked for long days & trips, just down to which experience you prefer.

I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed for eating crackers! ;)

Cheers, Dave

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
My buddy just dropped his Road King and several other bikes off in my basement while he moves. It's not like the RK is a crappy bike.

Fuel tank Tire Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
For now, I think I will need to choose between modernity (bmw r1250r) or style (kawasaki z900rs) if I leave the Harley world.
Did you see my long-ish write up as a long time 2012 r1200r owner, trying the z900rs for a whole year and coming back to a 2017? It's a few posts up. The bikes are barely comparable; not in the same category. The z is more similar to bikes like the suzuki katana or the yamaha xsr900, not an R.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've ridden rental Road Kings, and an Indian Chief - If the style is that important, I would see if you can test-ride an Indian.

Things about the H-D and Indian I didn't like: The mid-forward and forward control seating position sets me on my tailbone, which becomes quickly painful for me regardless of the seat.
The Indian killed the H-D in regards to suspension and brakes. The H-D brakes were just plain awful - on every H-D I've ridden.
They are both so friggin heavy that moving them not under power is just, well, scary. I don't think I'd be able to right one if it fell over without help, but the R1200R is easy to stand back up.
Those big road cruisers are good for just that - cruising, and freeway cruising. I like to play a little, and those things just don't. I think the only H-D's I've ever seen that were ridden even moderately quick also had most of the pegs ground off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Did you see my long-ish write up as a long time 2012 r1200r owner, trying the z900rs for a whole year and coming back to a 2017? It's a few posts up. The bikes are barely comparable; not in the same category. The z is more similar to bikes like the suzuki katana or the yamaha xsr900, not an R.
yes I did. I am pretty sure the R is a more sophisticated bike all around, that said I never had anything to complain about my z900rs except for the short first and second gear and the snatchy throttle which just takes some getting used to. looks wise it still is one of the most beautiful bikes on the market.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes I did. I am pretty sure the R is a more sophisticated bike all around, that said I never had anything to complain about my z900rs except for the short first and second gear and the snatchy throttle which just takes some getting used to. looks wise it still is one of the most beautiful bikes on the market.
I did the 16T front sprocket on my Z. 100% would do it again. Also had lockable Shad side cases, another mod I would recommend. If I had a Z again, I'd put in steel brake lines, stock feel leaves much to be desired compared to bmw. But most of all, suspension. Even from my 2012 to the Z, I found the rear shock jolting my lower back (I also have some lower back issues) on concrete expansion joints (how US highways are built). I had never noticed these on my R. The rear shock of the Z would have to go ASAP and then maybe the fork would need updating too, though not as urgent. The seat did not really work for me, I'd need a Bagster, likely. And then a windscreen and heated grips (mine was non-cafe). And of course, tires. If I had done mega-miles, sure, they'd wear out and I'd put what I like. As they were almost new, I kept the dunlop gpr300 crap. So it's quite a process and while the R has some ergo issues (peg location) and also windscreen needs, all other problems are solved (heated grips, suspension, brakes, seat, cases).

41 - 60 of 72 Posts