BMW R1200R Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Could you push the tractor out the way so we can see the Aprilia please?
Behind the Harley Road King is the Aprilia Tuono, Ducati Monster S Stripe and BMW RNineT standard. The Kawasaki W "Whiskey" 650 he bought his son is still back in Virginia. All nicely modified.

His tastes are pretty eclectic. But I like him anyway ;) The basement art speaks for itself, along with about 25 guitars stored there for the move too.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Behind the Harley Road King is the Aprilia Tuono, Ducati Monster S Stripe and BMW RNineT standard.
Looks like an early Tuono and in an interesting colour. I really like the early 00’s Aprilia’s. Whilst they are still beautifully finished today, sadly, they seem to ruin most of them with bling paint jobs complete with dayglow wheels.

His tastes are pretty eclectic.
Indeed, they are. I just don’t get the Harley thing I'm afraid, but each to their own I guess. Harley is now one of the most popular bikes in Scotland.

Fantastic basement, great to have so much space.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Looks like an early Tuono and in an interesting colour. I really like the early 00’s Aprilia’s. Whilst they are still beautifully finished today, sadly, they seem to ruin most of them with bling paint jobs complete with dayglow wheels.
I believe it's an '03 or '04 Tuono. He is a tinkerer, and has hung every carbon fiber part available on it, many/most now NLA, probably worth more sold separately than the bike. He claims it handles better than the Ducati Monster S Stripe, though he's had the Aprilia longer and ridden it more. He refers to the retro-futuristical instrument panel as the "HAL 2000". He's a funny guy, and he loves that crazy Ape!

Indeed, they are. I just don’t get the Harley thing I'm afraid, but each to their own I guess. Harley is now one of the most popular bikes in Scotland. Fantastic basement, great to have so much space.
As an eclectic collector he seldom plans his purchases, just goes places and if he sees something he likes he makes a lowball offer that sometimes works. I think like me he always wanted to try a Harley so that's why he got the Road King (like I did), he's still sort of in the honeymoon phase with it so I don't know how long it'll be around. He does let bikes go from time to time, last one he sold was a Moto Guzzi V7 Racer (Hi Erin, hope you're well!!), so he does occasionally part ways with his steeds.

House I bought last year when I retired to Tennessee came with a beautiful full unfinished basement with its own garage doors and driveway -- I could not ask for a finer Man Cave, and am happy to help my friend with his move!!

Cheers! Dave

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
Basement's still a work in progress, but it's cool having these shiny toys here for a bit ;)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
He refers to the retro-futuristical instrument panel as the "HAL 2000"
Oh yes, Aprilia’s complex high-tech and futuristic dash of which they seemed very proud of in the early 00’s. It looked odd back and already dated back in the day, and yes HAL 2000 is a perfect description!

I love the cheeky tail lights too. Beautifully styled, and that one is in the right colour. Never ridden one but am told they are great fun. Definitely something to hold on to.

I still think that the original plain black RNineT is the best looking. Often less is more.

Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Getting a bit off topic :) Anyway...if work permits, tomorrow I'm going to the dealer to test-ride a R9T Pure just to ride it and compare, but pretty I'm gonna sign the papers for a 2021 R1250R exclusive (grey) and trading in my Harley.

·
Registered
R1250R
692 Posts
Getting a bit off topic :)
Sorry:oops:. I find the R1250R a very comfortable bike. Nice upright riding position and plenty of leg room. I’ve done a number of 3–400 mile days out, and I feel fine afterwards.

I love the looks of the RNineT but it is more of a hipster town bike, the R is much more practicable.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
376 Posts
Getting a bit off topic :) Anyway...if work permits, tomorrow I'm going to the dealer to test-ride a R9T Pure just to ride it and compare, but pretty I'm gonna sign the papers for a 2021 R1250R exclusive (grey) and trading in my Harley.
I had some time to compare three or four R9T models the last time I was at my dealer, and the Pure is exactly that, a pure motorcycle distilled to its basics, even down to its standard forks. Do be aware you’re really comparing apples to oranges by putting that particular R9T against the R1250R. Be it that R9T (which with its basic suspension setup is not going to do your back any favors) or another more deluxe flavor, I think you’ll also find that you sit ON a R9T as opposed to IN with the R…that was my immediate takeaway, anyhow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Yeah I know, just curious about the suspension on the r9t. Sat on one before and it felt pretty soft and bouncy, while most people say it is pretty harsh and unforgiving on the back. Quite sure there will be a r1250r in my garage in a few days. Still need to adjust to the looks, since I always saw myself only on a retro style/sporty bike but for now there is no getting around the comfort factor for me. Triump SpeedTwin, r9t, Thruxton etc all look amazing but seemingly never are quite comfortable. My z900rs was but like we discussed before, I already had one so kinda silly to go back and the bmw technically is of course a superior bike.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,339 Posts
The BMW RNineT Heritage line - Standard, Pure, Scrambler, Urban GS and (former) Racer - is very cool, and carries on the awesome and venerable camhead drivetrain.

Having said that, I think the R1200/1250R is more versatile, better performing, easier to live with and easier to ride farther in comfort and convenience.

I suspect after a little seat time the R1250R will Rock Your World.

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
376 Posts
Tested the R9T Pure. Very nice, fun bike but it was clear the R1250R would be a better fit, so just signed the papers and picking mine up next friday.
Congrats — look forward to seeing a pic of your gray beauty! I think yours’ll be the first gray 2021 appearing in the forum (or at least the first one I’ve seen).

61 - 72 of 72 Posts