BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the RA3s? My Metzeler Z8 are worn out, and although they’ve been a great tire, I’m looking for something different. The RA3s look good and are not as expensive or debated as say the PR4s or Roadtech 01s. So who’s riding on some and what can you say?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Stunningly good are the words that spring to mind.

I had RA2 on the previous motorcycle, a Honda Hornet 900, and they were the best among the tires I used on that motorcycle: RA2, Michelin Pilot Road 2 (IIRC) and Pirelli Angel GT. They gripped really well, the only gripe was that they wore pretty quickly.

Now I replaced the OEM Pilot Road 4 on the R1200R with RA3. The tire is a bit harder to turn in, but that is probably due to the fact that the old front tire was already a bit "pointy". Once in the corner they are very stable, predictable and confidence inspiring. Even with the temperatures about 15 degrees C lower than the maximum last year, the grip is better than anything that PR4 had to offer. In the familiar twisties I was surprised when I started dragging footpegs, while I felt that I could lean much further without problems and that the tires were well away from their limits.

IOW, unless I read glowing, must-have, wow,... reviews about other tires, I don't see any reason to use another tire. We'll see about the wear, but (a) they have supposedly fixed that and (b) it's a small price to pay for such a feeling of confidence in the motorcycle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve gotten 8k miles on my current RA3’s and they are my favorite tire I’ve used so far. Im going to replace these soon with some long rides coming up this summer. They’re extremely grippy in the dry and never experienced any issues in the wet. Very stable at high speeds and I haven’t noticed any excessive noise from them either. Price wise they’re comparable to the Metzeler Roadtecs and cheaper than the overhyped Michelin Road 5s. Get them, you won’t be sorry. If you won’t take my word for it there’s a whole slew of rave reviews out there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,

I have almost 12K on them since spring of 2018. They perform very good with one exception - maybe it's just me but when cornering there is a moment when I have the feeling that the bike starts to fall, e.g. I'm dropping it, and then it stabilyzes. It happened several times and scared me a lot, never had same experience with other tyres. As much as I know RA3 is made from same rubber material but it has been hardened on different temperatures starting from the center of the tyre and going out. So maybe there is a zone where the grip changes too rapidly and this is the reason I'm having this feeling or maybe I'm pushing the bike too hard, but still I almost **** myself several times in corners.
IMO the OEM tyres Metzeler ZR 8 Interrract that bike came with were the best! Sharing this with several friends everybody seems to have the feeling that stock tyres always had the best performance (conspiracy theory) :)

Regards,
Momchil

·
Registered
36 Posts
...when cornering there is a moment when I have the feeling that the bike starts to fall, e.g. I'm dropping it, and then it stabilyzes. It happened several times and scared me a lot, never had same experience with other tyres...

How are your tires worn? Because what you're describing is exactly how the OEM Michelins behaved before I replaced them.

By then the rear tire was flattened at the centre. When you lean the bike, the curvature radius changes from a flat centre with a large curvature radius, through the transitional region with a small radius (where the flattened part meets the shoulders) and then to the shoulder with again a larger radius. I think it's at the transitional region where the lean angle increases suddenly and makes the motorcycle feel as though it's falling. Just a theory...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I average 25,000 miles a year riding almost exclusively in the mountains of TN, NC and VA. A typical set of tires on our 3 street bikes lasts 2,000 miles. Only one brand and model of tire combines wear, performance and wet grip that clearly outclasses the rest. They also happen to be the lightest steering tire I have ever experienced (the Bridestone S22 is very very close), they transform any bike they are fitted to into a better version of itself. The Continental Road Attack 3 is simply the best of the best. We test everything and then we go back to the RA3 and we realize nothing else comes close.

The attached image is me testing the T31 Bridgestone

KEB

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I average 25,000 miles a year riding almost exclusively in the mountains of TN, NC and VA. A typical set of tires on our 3 street bikes lasts 2,000 miles.

Only 2000 miles (about 3200 km)? Keb, what surfaces are you riding on? Sandpaper? I'm pretty heavy (around 140 kg with gear) and I do ride mostly mountain roads and usually get 12-15000km per set of tires. The last set I've used was Metzeler Roadtech 01s and they were fantastic, almost as good as Z8s, only they've lasted just 12000km

Cheers
Momchil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only 2000 miles (about 3200 km)? Keb, what surfaces are you riding on? Sandpaper? I'm pretty heavy (around 140 kg with gear) and I do ride mostly mountain roads and usually get 12-15000km per set of tires. The last set I've used was Metzeler Roadtech 01s and they were fantastic, almost as good as Z8s, only they've lasted just 12000km

Cheers
Momchil

The roads are pretty abrasive around here but it tire life always come down to riding style. I have worn some of the head guard off both sides of my R12R. Some of my friends get 4 times the life out of their tires and they never question me why my mileage is so much lower. That's what makes the RA3's unique, normally the difference in wear is 10% (200 miles or so) where the RA3's are closer to 40 or 50%.

KEB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Eight months back and 6.5K kilometres later I've noticed the Metzler Roadtec rear tyre has worn severely on the right side ie. Down-Under road camber side. I've always noticed the front tyre shows uneven wear which I've put down to road camber, but this on the rear seems extreme. Has anyone else riding an R1200R LC experienced a similar wear pattern on their rear tyre?

Yes I've considered right corners are slightly longer than left turns and that riding in the hills that sight distance is greater on right bends and this might suggest one takes these corners faster than left turns, but hey I'm clutching at straws for a reasonable explanation.
0.jpg

I won't be recommending Metzler Roadtec either, as this wear only after 6,500 kilometres isn't exactly economical motorcycling. 0.jpg rear tyre wear.jpg

[Edited by Moderator on behalf of Gungadin: Sportec changed to Roadtec]

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I had something similar (but worse) happen to the front Z8, cannot find a reason for it, left side was still good with plenty of tread but right side down to a slick. Had to change it before the MOT or it would have been a fail.

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
The difference L-R doesn’t look that significant to me, @gungadin, and I reckon you’ve got your money’s worth out of that tyre, given it’s a sports rather than sport-touring model.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry Panzermann I mistakenly wrote Sportec when in fact the tyre is a Roadtec...your comment "given it’s a sports rather than sport-touring model" tweeked me to review my post.

The left side of the tread maybe not as apparent in the pic but believe me has definitely far more tread. And I don't ride two up or with heavy panniers, though I do have a top bag weighing in at about 8-10 kg.

·
Super Moderator
4,515 Posts
In that case, @gungadin, I’d be most disappointed in that mileage, too.

I don't reckon the topcase would make any difference.

They’re a single compound tyre, so I can’t see any construction reason why there should be any wear difference L-R. The edge feathering comes from braking while cranking over (engine or brakes) as weight comes off the rear.

I can only think it’s the way you cane the bike through corners combined with the road camber.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts