BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following an "interesting" weekend which included my RT being blown over off its side stand during a very violent weather incident which resulted in a somewhat astonishing repair bill, I'm considering crash bars for the R1250R for "just in case".

Anyone got any on the their 1250? Any thoughts?

Before anyone says anything, yes I agree crash bars don't help looks, but then riding non-ATGATT looks and feels better, but I haven't ridden unprotected in at least 35 years.

So, preferably discrete or as discrete as they can be, yet functional.

Anyone?

JtL

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
I have the BMW oem bars as well. Moving the bike in my very steep yard (70' elevation change <1/3 acre) I put my foot in a depression on the downhill side and flopped over. Two days after install, in fact. Absolutely 100% performance in my case. I was warned they might not be that great, but so far I'm super happy with them.

In my case in fact the bike didn't tip just to flat, going to the downhill side meant it was on a 20-25 degree slope as well. Slightly harder to pick up, but not a single nick or scratch, not even on the bar itself as it was in dirt and grass.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Honestly, I love crash bars. You already have the dorky-looking boxer configuration that makes people wonder what happens in a lowside. Crash bars look like they belong on the bike. If you want, try to color-match to your frame and it'll look like it's part of the bike.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle fairing

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the quick response & photos.

A great deal of research last night says that there are no crashbars - aftermarket or otherwise - that will work with the so-called stainless engine spoilers, which is a little disappointing.

The damage to the harshly un-parked RT, 100% cosmetic other than a broken GS mirror (certainly not standard on the RT), came to $3500 in parts only, hence the sudden interest in crash bars for the R. The RT had crash bars but they didn't help that much as they were designed to work with rear crash bars too

I already have the Machine Art Moto head covers on the 1250R which would help, although how much plastic can do is an open question in my mind. Certainly better than nothing!

There are two scenarios which bother me: (1) a simple zero-mph tipover, assisted or otherwise, and (2) a slow to moderate low-side. In the latter case, I just want to be able to ride home without a hole in a head covers, which I've seen happen.

In the even of a serious get-off, I expect more damage than engine protectors are going to help with and then it's just a big insurance claim.

JtL

·
Registered
651 Posts
The MAM covers should help with a low-side as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
I selected the BMW Valve Covers when I ordered mine. Engine bars just look terrible. Hopefully they will do the job if I have a moment manoeuvring the bike. I guess they will be next to useless in any kind of off once I’m moving. Anyway, the main thing is to try and keep it upright at all times.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that the overall plan is to keep the bike upright, although that it isn't always possible. There was no human within 50ft of my RT when it went over - but that's what 70mph squalls from severe thunderstorms can do.

I have to disagree with you on a couple of counts, although the like or dislike of crashbars is a purely a personal taste thing. I don't much like the looks, but then I think generally BMW bikes are pretty goofy looking anyway - certainly not items of automotive artwork. While I own a R1250R and like it very much, I cannot describe it as a great looking bike. Discrete crash bars don't bother me one way or the other. I'm going to have auxiliary lights mounted anyway for conspicuity, and crash bars work well for that purpose.

As for function, here's what $500 damage looks like. The problem with the head covers - so a near neighbor tells me from his experience - is that they generally need replacing anyway if the bike goes down, which to a degree defeats the original objective.

JtL

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
Here is the results of my zero mph flop close up, $0.00 spent

Here is how the bars look from the only view that really matters to me

And a couple other views. . .

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
I have to disagree with you on a couple of counts, although the like or dislike of crashbars is a purely a personal taste thing. I don't much like the looks, but then I think generally BMW bikes are pretty goofy looking anyway - certainly not items of automotive artwork. While I own a R1250R and like it very much, I cannot describe it as a great looking bike. Discrete crash bars don't bother me one way or the other. I'm going to have auxiliary lights mounted anyway for conspicuity, and crash bars work well for that purpose.

I test rode three bikes before I purchased the R1250R. And looks factored into my shortlist, I don’t think I could bring myself to buy a bike that I didn’t like the look of. I’ve always generally secretly admired BMW boxers, but they never really had the performance I was looking for. I think the R1250R is a good-looking bike. Certainly, when compared to the average offerings these days. Kawasaki, Suzuki and now even MV Augusta seem to be competing hard to see who can produce the most mingin lookin bikes.

Though two things let the R1250R down badly in terms of looks, the headlamp and the silencer. My bike didn’t even manage one mile on the OE silencer. Not much I can do about the headlamp sadly.

I thought I’d get a bit of stick for buying a boxer, and yeah there’s been a few BMW embossed cloth cap, slippers and pipe jokes, but the feedback on how the bike looks has been positive. Some have described it as looking Japanese, and they meant that as a compliment.

As for discrete crash bars – they don’t exist. I think they look fine on adventure bikes, but I’m not into adventure bikes.

As for function, here's what $500 damage looks like. The problem with the head covers - so a near neighbor tells me from his experience - is that they generally need replacing anyway if the bike goes down, which to a degree defeats the original objective.

That damage looks cosmetic to me. I thought the point of crash bars was to hopefully save the bike from being written off should you slip off it whilst riding. I’m guessing boxer bikes are more prone to being written off in an accident than other more conventional bikes?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
456 Posts
If there are the same as the TT bars on my GSA, three minutes with a stainless brush on an electric drill will buff the scratches out perfectly!
I saw the scratches in the pic and had to check, the actual contact was low and forward and left no mark. The apparent scratches high and rearward are bits of dirt. It's dark in the shed and I didn't notice them with no flash.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Though two things let the R1250R down badly in terms of looks, the headlamp and the silencer. My bike didn’t even manage one mile on the OE silencer. Not much I can do about the headlamp sadly.

As for discrete crash bars – they don’t exist. I think they look fine on adventure bikes, but I’m not into adventure bikes.

That damage looks cosmetic to me. I thought the point of crash bars was to hopefully save the bike from being written off should you slip off it whilst riding. I’m guessing boxer bikes are more prone to being written off in an accident than other more conventional bikes?
It, along with all the rest, is purely 100% cosmetic. No functional effect at all, just very ugly, so those parts, along with a wheelbarrow load of other bits, are being replaced courtesy an insurance company.

These days it doesn't take that much to write a bike off. The guy I mentioned with the head covers lost it on some diesel at about 30-odd mph. Enough cosmetic damage from one end to the other that his 18 month old R1200 was toast. The replacement muffler - if I choose to replace the lightly scratched RT one with a stock muffler, which I may or may not do - is $1440 (£1076) which I think is insane.

If you don't like the headlight - not a big fan myself - you can change it for a round one. I forget the user name - something Diva, perhaps? - had a beautifully done bike, with many modes including a round headlight and a particularly tasty seat cowl.

The R muffler is both huge and ugly (as are almost all mufflers these days), but I have yet to see another one that looks really good. Say what you like, but the R1200s and 1250s are definitely not pretty. Very functional, and not bad looking, but certainly not great looking bikes, but that's not that important to me. I'm the boring guy who installed the wider rear mudguard/fender and extended the front fender so now they actually do the intended job. Same with spending a small fortune on suspension mods - doesn't change the looks, but definitely changes what I like about the bike, the ride.

To each, his or her own.

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
If you don't like the headlight - not a big fan myself - you can change it for a round one. I forget the user name - something Diva, perhaps? - had a beautifully done bike, with many modes including a round headlight and a particularly tasty seat cowl.
Yeah I saw that. It looks so much better with the round headlamp. But I think Diva put a bit of work into getting it to fit and work, I don’t think it is a straight forward swap.

The R muffler is both huge and ugly (as are almost all mufflers these days), but I have yet to see another one that looks really good. Say what you like, but the R1200s and 1250s are definitely not pretty. Very functional, and not bad looking, but certainly not great looking bikes, but that's not that important to me. I'm the boring guy who installed the wider rear mudguard/fender and extended the front fender so now they actually do the intended job. Same with spending a small fortune on suspension mods - doesn't change the looks, but definitely changes what I like about the bike, the ride.
The silencers on a lot of bikes look just fine, as the main silencer is hidden under the bike – some are better than others at hiding it. But the R1250R silencer is a real minger, and that people pay extra to have it finished in chrome to make it even more ghastly…..

I didn’t much fancy the official BMW AKRA offering, so I got an SC Project SC1-R. It looks great (in my humble opinion) and sounds much better without being in any way anti-social.

Yeah, I have been disappointed to find myself covered in road filth after a spin in the rain. I may end up with that NZ BMW rear mudguard extender yet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Following an "interesting" weekend which included my RT being blown over off its side stand during a very violent weather incident which resulted in a somewhat astonishing repair bill, I'm considering crash bars for the R1250R for "just in case".

Before anyone says anything, yes I agree crash bars don't help looks, but then riding non-ATGATT looks and feels better, but I haven't ridden unprotected in at least 35 years.

Anyone?

JtL
These Wunderlich bars are about as discrete as I’ve seen, and provide mounting for the lights as well.

Anyone?

JtL

Anyone?

JtL
Wunderlich

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks - I ordered a set from Germany yesterday. Including shipping, about $120 less than Wunderlich in the US.

Did the same for Touratech crash bars for the RT - about $150 less than US.

The mark-up on these things must be way OTT.

JtL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Wunderlich 'guards, finally installed today.

BTW, this means there will be a pair of Moto Machine X-Guards available.

JtL

·
Banned
231 Posts
What is that tailbag?
its the BMW Softbag 3, most BMW dealers carry it I think. There's a small and a large one (mine is the small). I bought it just to use when I have a lot of stuff to carry but its so useful I just leave it on there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts