Crashing on your own terms!

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Mick 
#1 ·
See less See more
Reactions: Clem
#2 · (Edited)
ABS or Not ?

Will NZ likely follow suit, Erin ???
Hasn't the EU required all motorcycles over 125cc to have ABS since 2016 ?
BMW began in 2013 putting ABS on all their models as standard equipment.
So Bosch is selling a lot more ABS units.
:whatdoyouthink:
I opted out of ABS Nanny on my new Honda.
Japan introduces these ABS requirements for 2018 domestic production, and 2021 carryovers.
I have 1 BMW R with, and one Boxer without ABS.
Motorcycles dodged the bullet on airbags, but it appears the ABS nanny is going to stick.

#3 · (Edited)
Will NZ likely follow suit, Erin ???
I don't know, but I say
get out the pickets and megaphones :wink2:

We most likely will not have a choice as most bike manufactures will be pressured into installing ABS especially to meet EU standards.

But when governments stick their nose in, still look at the motorbike accident statistics after every motorbike has ABS installed, then decide that those accident and death statistics are still too high were in trouble.
Could they ban motorbikes from public roads?

New Zealand motorcyclists pay far greater ACC (accident) levies in our motorbike registrations fees per year than vehicle owners.
The Government promise to improve roading with motorcyclists in mind, but its slow, meanwhile the accident rates go up, and fees don't go down.
Perhaps I only see ABS as a small solution

BTW

My BMW has ABS and do ride it very confidently knowing I've strong brakes with ABS back up.
Is this a bad thing?

My Guzzi does not have ABS and only a single disk front brake, I ride this bike conservatively, knowing its limits, it gets my respect.

#4 ·
Other than the additional costs it would impose, making entry level bikes harder to afford, I'm a big fan of traction and stability control and ABS.

That said, I'm NOT a big fan of government intervention. Nanny State.

Sure, there's times it's right to do, but like hot seasoning, a little goes a long way.

ABS is very popular here in the States, the market demands it and producers fall all over themselves to provide it.

Maybe a mandate will make it less expensive and available, then again, maybe not.

#5 ·
My '02 R1150R was the last bike I purchased with optional ABS. I recall it was really hard to find dealer stock with ABS. It also had that crazy brake servo system that did my head-in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
It's getting hard to find a bike over 250cc without ABS now making it mandatory here isn't going to affect anything really as it is either already mandatory or about to be so, in the main bike manufacturing countries. While I like ABS I prefer it to be switchable even on road bikes as I do a lot of gravel riding, and I must admit I'm not a fan of BMW's ABS at all. Probably has the worst "feel" of any ABS bikes I've ridden.

#7 ·
I think it's rubbish that ABS would have "avoided or reduced the severity of a crash 93% of the time"
ABS may be a good feature but as we know motorbike accidents are caused by all sorts of things for example losing control in a corner because you are going way too fast or a truck pulling out of a side road in front of you, or hitting diesel on a wet road, or the vehicle you are overtaking decides to turn into a road without indicating OR you hit cow **** on a roundabout or mechanical issues like hitting a false neutral at speed coming into a corner - none of which would be any less severe or avoidable because of ABS brakes. Just saying. Happy new year by the way!

#8 · (Edited)
Absolutely! and I agree ABS most likely is a good feature, but when governments get behind it :closedeyes:

Before ABS in cars were people eating french fries, playing with their radio, fixing their makeup, talking on the phone, adjusting the heat or a/c, looking at their hair in the mirror, shaving, reading a map, scolding kids in the back seat, picking stuff up off the floor, smoking, swating at a bug inside the car, playing air drums on steering wheel, adjusting mirrors, drinking, driving drunk, falling asleep, checking out the hot girl on the side of the road, petting their dog in the seat next to them.

Sometimes I think technology makes us complacent not more safety conscious.

Reactions: joebloggz
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.