BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing CRG hslp on my Roadster, but I am concerned about how well I will be able to see in the rear view. I have a hard enough time seeing with the stock mirrors. If I could get some input from you guys that have had them on for a while as to how well the sight line is and how long did they take to get used to. Also how much does the little bit of extra width on handle bars effect lane splitting.
Bottom line is can u freaking see well enough?
I love the sleek look of them, and they would make my bike look that much cooler.
any input will be much appreciated

·
Registered
480 Posts
Lots depends on where your head is relative to mirror placement. I have the CRG LS's on....and ran them literally side by side with the OEM mirrors. It did not take more than 20 miles to fully appreciate the expanded (and more stable) view from the CRG's versus OEM's. The OEM's came off, mounting holes plugged...and they shan't return. btw, I'm 6'2"...no more shoulders showing ala OEM mirrors...my guess is that the CRG's added about 30 degrees more overall rear view.

Originally I was concerned about the CRG's flipping back at higher speeds. My concern was not well founded. I have had one CRG move backward...but that occurred at well over 100 mph.

Best bar end mounts I could find were via www.rhinomoto.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
+1 Nice photo. Very low, narrow, neat&clean. Nice smoke Z2443 by the way.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I bought my son a set of these for his SV650 a couple of years ago. He likes the cafe racer look. they worked great. i tested them for a few miles but I can't ride far humped over the tank on a bike with cllip-on bars! They are smaller than OEM, as you know. I also found that I had to **** my wrist to see anything, but that should be solved by having normal handlebars on the R. Very nice quality, fit and finish.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
You can put o rings on your mirrors to avoid vibration, another option is to fill your handle bar with stainless steel BB pellets.

Now that won't change the looks of your bike at all, for that I have a little advice in the form of a thread that DrDave started last year.

Click here http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-general-discussions-7/frickin-mirrors-926/

I really like this, they are called Oberon, they have Led turn signals, bar ends and you can add those cool cafe racer mirrors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Birkenfelder, what did u cap the stock mirror holes with?
As it turns out Rhinomoto shop is about a 40 min. ride from where I live, (man that never happens) I'm gonna ride down there tomorrow and take a look see and will probably buy the set up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoshiko what brand of mirrors r on that Suzi? Are they CRGs? I do like the looks of those Oberon bar ends, I will have to research them

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the MFW mini mirrors and they work better than the stock mirrors.
They're small but convex so I can actually see a larger area behind me than stock. And they are vibration free just like the handlebar is.

I bought them from Wunderlich.
MFW Mini Mirror

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey Birkenfelder, what did u cap the stock mirror holes with?
As it turns out Rhinomoto shop is about a 40 min. ride from where I live, (man that never happens) I'm gonna ride down there tomorrow and take a look see and will probably buy the set up.

I plugged the mirror holes with standard automotive panel plugs. I can't remember the exact size, but do know they were metric sized and commonly found. Lowes, Menards or any auto store has 'em. Just measure ID of threaded holes...not including threaded area...the true hole diameter, and also measure diameter of the cap...then go hunt 'em down.

btw, don't worry about any vibration with the CRG's...they're more stable than OEM...and more clear image too...without the blue haze some aftermarket mirrors have. Wish things this nice were available when I put my first bar-ends on in 1969...had to use oversized dental mirrors then...and got pulled over many times for "questioning of legality". Never got cited tho! :001_rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for info and pics guys. I will be riding down to Rhinomoto on Thurs to pickup a pair of crghsls + round bar end mounts on thurs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts