BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to have, or does anyone else experience, rough downshifts when not using the clutch? Obviously, yes, my bike is equipped with the quick shifter.

I can’t think of a better description than “crunchy”; it feels almost like smashing breakfast cereal through the shift lever. It’s most noticeable after a cold startup and most especially when shifting down from either overdrive gear. The shifts seem to smooth out as the bike warms up. I can’t speak to upshifts as I only do those clutchless when WOT, and I don’t do that kind of pull until the engine is good and warm.

I’m using Motorex Boxer 4T oil, which I’m pretty sure is on the higher end of lubricants (not looking to start an oil thread). I believe I’m up to date on module software as I had ABS Pro retrofitted a few months back at the dealer. I can’t see why it would matter, but I’m using the OEM HP adjustable pegs and levers.

Looking for others’ experience with the matter. This is also my first BMW boxer so I can’t compare against others.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
They can be crunchy if the revs are very low.

Do you have the throttle fully closed when changing, no preload on the change lever, and are you very positive with your foot movement? Failing any of these disengages the blipper function and you’ll be crashing through. Too low revs makes it difficult for the ECU to match the revs.

·
Registered
2016 R1200R
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throttle is definitely completely closed. I don’t think I’m preloading the lever, but it’s probably something to be conscious of.

I know what you mean about a “positive” shift; especially at lower engine speeds I’ve had it fail to hit 1st from 2nd.

It may just come down to RPM’s being too low. When I do use it to shift up its just short of redline, the throttle is pinned, and it feels great. Once it’s warmed up I try to down shift around 3500 and it works well (and sounds great).

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I've never had a crunchy sensation quickshifting up or down--yeah, there's the bit of a thunk from 1st to 2nd, but that's it for me. Quick shifting seems smooth. Now, are they silky smooth? I think my bike would be embarrassed if I requested that ;-)

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
506 Posts
I don’t use the QS between first and second — either up or down — but when I use it otherwise I’ve no issues. The lurch going up can be a bit disconcerting, but down has always been just a subtle snick, very smooth.

·
Registered
2015 BMW R1200R Light White
34 Posts
I haven’t had mine long but quickly learned it’s clunky at low revs especially between 1st, 2nd & 3rd so now don’t bother but works as it should in the higher gears.

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
399 Posts
R1250R, 2020 model: no crunch to report. 1st to 2nd there is a lurch, downshifting is almost all the time good from higher gears.

·
Banned
0 Posts
On my 2020 R1250R, N-1 shift always 'clunks', as expected, and perfectly normal. Both 1-2 and 2-3 lurch on my bike (2-3 less so), so I always avoid 1-2, and try to avoid 2-3. The other 3 upshifts are butter smooth at basically any revs, as long as you're accelerating at least some (like you're supposed to). ALL downshifts are smooth even down to 2-1, and at lower revs... BUT, if you accidentally hold the throttle a little open, like it happens to me on occasion, downshifts are 'lurchy', and noisier (crunchy?) too. I don't think they damage anything, but they should be the exception, rather than the norm. And with a QS, NO PRELOAD at all. Plus you need to be deliberate with the lever. Not super hard or anything, but not *****-footing it either. And same thing for the N-1 shift. Hope this helps.

Finally, just wanted to comment the S1000RR bikes I've ridden at the track, you CANNOT downshift with the QS with any kind of throttle (shift lever is locked, somehow). Wish the R1250R was also like that, but it's not. You can actually downshift at least with a bit of throttle open, with the resultant lurch/crunch that has happened to me in a couple of occasions. The S didn't allow that with the same foot pressure I always use. Nice feature. I'm getting used to the bike by now (just passed 1K miles on my last trip), so it shouldn't happen again. Part of the problem is I couldn't put nice grips, due to the heating elements, so used foam grips instead, which are thicker, and I'm obviously not letting them fully release sometimes. On my last 300+ trip, didn't have any issues with that, so good news. Ha ha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys just got my R1200r. It's only got 17k on it and the gearbox is disappointing. 1/3 are clunky. Not sure what BMW have done but my old 84 K100 gearbox is so smooth compared to my R1150 Rockster and my R1200R. What have they done wrong.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
Hi guys just got my R1200r. It's only got 17k on it and the gearbox is disappointing. 1/3 are clunky. Not sure what BMW have done but my old 84 K100 gearbox is so smooth compared to my R1150 Rockster and my R1200R. What have they done wrong.
Timing is everything with the liquid cooled models, Kenny, although the shift mechanism was updated for MY2017 which may make it more forgiving.
For up changes, preload the clutch lever then gear lever, as you snap the throttle shut dab (rather than full-pull) the clutch and the gear lever will slip though quietly.
Similarly, preload for down changes and ensure you blip the throttle to match revs.
With practice, it’ll become second nature and your changes will be liquid smooth.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sorry to sound not so switched on, but how do you preload the clutch then gear lever.
You preload the clutch by pulling it in no more than a 1/2" (1cm) and preferably less. This disengages the quickshifter. Basically enough to bump the first stage clutch sensor switch (its's a 2 stage switch, one for cancelling cruise control and quick shifter, and one for full-pull to tell the starter it's safe.)

You preload the shifter by putting pressure as if to upshift or downshift while there is still engine load, which will prevent the shift as long as the clutch is preloaded. Otherwise the quickshifter will assume you are shifting and try to do so.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts