BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know the name for the vertical black plastic trim piece that is attached to front fender. Last year I saw in a magazine awhile back a black R12R with trim pieces painted in the Motorsport (M) theme. Blue, light blue, red, and black.
I thought those would look pretty trick on my black roadster.
I thought it was a 09 BMW factory motorcycle brochure but, I'm not sure.
Has anybody seen anything out there like that?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That piece is an air deflector that shunts air toward the oil cooler.
Yes I agree, that piece is begging to be something other than black and the tricolor would be nice. Heresy coming:
Black is NOT my favorite color, but it is the classic BMW color of their motorcycles, so I can endure it
;)
The "bumble bee" color combo that was on some early 1150s is a favorite though, and I decided to plunge in, painting the SW Motech engine guards and the trim piece on GIVI side cases "school bus yellow gloss" to match the yellow of the Ohlins shocks. I am very tempted to paint those vent fins yellow also, as I too think it would look pretty "trick." I was riding today, first time out with the yellow, and there were these two boys, prob 9-10 years old who couldn't take their eyes off the bike. Isn't there a part within that is still 10 years old?

You could probably find a sticker or decal of the tricolor, maybe at the car dealer or fleabay or online somewhere

The bumblebee 1150; the yellow is actually richer than it appears in this photo

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Looks great, Dr! I think the most telling pic here is the one with a grey coloured car behind the bike - but for the yellow trim on the bike it would be almost invisible against the car. Imagine that in traffic! A real safety bonus IMHO - plus, it's different!

I may have my 'spats' (as I call them) painted blue to match the bike when I have my Trophy fairing painted.

A bike I also lust after (in fact have one on order) is Ducati's 820cc Hyperstrada, and its 'spats' are colour-coded to the rest of the bike and look really sharp.

L of S

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
thanks, and you're right. I didn't notice that. School Bus Yellow is that color for a reason, and it matches Ohlins yellow very well.
You're calling the air deflectors spats? Wasn't clear-at least to me. They'd look good arctic white too, w the bmw tri color panel on them--on the spats.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
You're calling the air deflectors spats? Wasn't clear-at least to me.
I'm only calling them 'spats' because I didn't know the correct name for them - but on reflection I do recall a warning in the Owner's Manual from an earlier R (maybe R, maybe GS) that as you say they serve to deflect air onto the cylinders (the book said), and the book further warned NOT to ride the bike with the spats removed! Strangely, and maybe because the oil-coler is now larger and in a different location, that advice no longer appears in my current 013 handbook!

L of S

1 - 5 of 5 Posts