BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've rode/raced bikes (the human powered ones) for many years and recently took a class and got my motorcycle license (I'm 50+). I'm learning on vstar 650 cruiser type bike. My original idea was to work my way up to a large cruiser (big loud and safe), but I'm finding that I want some of the same control I had on a bike ( I ride a carbon race bicycle). Also, I find the cruiser weight distribution / foot position to be completely weird for me. Cycles are more about 70/30 (seat/legs vs hands). Cranks sit below behind shoulders. A friend of mine told me to "look at a BMW . They make the best and safest bikes on the world" ..went to a dealer and liked the r1200r classic.

Considering that I'm going to buy one bike and likely keep it forever are there any thoughts on what to look at next..?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hmm. A sport bike will have more of the roadie position, and might be more responsive as well. On the other hand, if you plan to keep the bike, and have ONE bike, I'd actually recommend the R1200R. It really is a good all-round bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. A sport bike will have more of the roadie position, and might be more responsive as well. On the other hand, if you plan to keep the bike, and have ONE bike, I'd actually recommend the R1200R. It really is a good all-round bike.
Thought about that. I'm not really interest in going fast. I am thinking I would probably do a lot of riding around town, some mountains on the weekend and a occasional two up with my wife. Sort of a lot of what the cruiser guys do, only I don't know if I want to ride a cruiser :). I looked at the 1200rt also. Id like more of a classic ("naked" ) bike - simple stripped down. Thought about the Ducati monsters, but I think I'm too tall.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Greetings K2msmith. May I suggest that you take a test ride on a new R1200Roadster. It's the best way to know if it feels right for you. If it's a Specialized S-Works that speaks to you, or a Madone. If you go for a Rumblefish 29er, or a Gary Fisher hardtail. Throw a leg over one and see what captures your heart. If you need help finding a Motorrad dealer, just shout out. BMW Motorrad International

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Considering that I'm going to buy one bike and likely keep it forever are there any thoughts on what to look at next..?
I think you're asking a lot with this question, K2 (and as a non-cyclist I don't understand your point about 70/30 seat/legs vs hands either!) I'm 73+ and now on my third R1200R so you I can assume I like it a lot. Like many if not most here, I think the bike has some tremendous attributes, but for someone so completely new to m/cycling I'd suggest it may not be quite right for you - or anyone else in that position RIGHT NOW! Maybe later, after some more experience.

While the R1200R is relatively light in weight for a 1200cc machine, it is undeniably big and bulky, and takes some getting used to.

If - as may well turn out to be true - you intend to 'keep it forever' I'd suggest a few more months and miles on another bike (and maybe a move away from the cruiser style/ seating position that clearly doesn't suit you) before you make the commitment and the switch to the BMW. Then, you will certainly find the 1200R will suit perfectly all the intended uses you have for it.

Good luck anyway - I'm sure we would all be interested in the outcome...

L of S

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
This is a tough question because you want a carbon bike feel, normally a sport bike, but a roadster/tourer purpose. I would look into a Ducati Diavel Strada or if you are tall, the hypermotard with bags. This are much sportier and lighter. On the BMW side you can't beat the 1000 for a carbon fibery feel but it's not a tourer. Also try the 800 and the 1200. Let us know what you choose because we are all bike voyeurs here :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I raced roads and crits years ago; still ride 400+ miles a month. I have a few nice bikes, my fav is my Cervelo. I still like speed when on two wheels; I topped out at 51.8 MPH on my desent yesterday on the club ride.

All that being said, the R1200R is a perfect bike for me due to how well it handles and how light it is . I have had many other motorcycles, but for now the R is the best of the lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While the R1200R is relatively light in weight for a 1200cc machine, it is undeniably big and bulky, and takes some getting used to.

Hello LOS-- Do you mean the low speed handling aspects ? I am riding vstar 650 right now which is similar weight - or slightly heavier (470 lbs).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I raced roads and crits years ago; still ride 400+ miles a month. I have a few nice bikes, my fav is my Cervelo. I still like speed when on two wheels; I topped out at 51.8 MPH on my desent yesterday on the club ride.

All that being said, the R1200R is a perfect bike for me due to how well it handles and how light it is . I have had many other motorcycles, but for now the R is the best of the lot.

Now that I am not racing, 100 miles per week is a good fitness target for me also :) We have a local club that is closely affiliated with a shop that sells Specialized, so I have two S-works bikes, an SL2 with Campy Record and my older S-Works aluminum with Dura -Ace. I've had great luck with both and the Cervelo is a great bike also.
Glad to hear that all these cyclists like the R1200. Although I am relatively a new motorbike rider, I really think that bike handling experience has helped me ramp up on motor cycling more quickly. I am trying to not be too ambitious though, because of this experience and ride well within my limits of (in)experience on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
...Considering that I'm going to buy one bike and likely keep it forever are there any thoughts..?
I have a thought. Each time I get a bike I think, "This is the best and last one I'll ever own." I felt that way about each of several BSA's, Nortons, Honda street bikes, three GoldWings and, now, about my R1200R. Go figure.

I like a good cigar and, other times, I smoke a pipe. They're not the same thing; I can't equate the character of one genre with the other. I think it's the same with a bike and a motorcycle - I can't compare the twp experiences in a way that would express, to me, "If I like this then I ought to like that." (I like bike riding, too.) You might find out a V-Strom 650 or a Harley Ultra Classic does something for you that nothing else can approach - each has its own special something that either reaches into you or it doesn't. What Clem said. Lots of test drives. :2cents:

This was the last bike I was ever going to own (as of 1974). It was perfect. :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
I initially bought the R12R, my first motorcycle, to replace a Giant road bike that was my daily commuter. Saw the R12R, fell in love. Was comfortable in traffic on two wheels, countersteering, decent hand-eye-foot coordination, so and worked backward to get on one. It took about eight months. Pitched the spouse, passed the MSF class and the most tenuous, waiting for a parking spot to open at work. Somehow, the stars aligned. Riding the R12R feels like therapy.

My advice: Bring a checkbook to your test ride.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts

Hello LOS-- Do you mean the low speed handling aspects ? I am riding vstar 650 right now which is similar weight - or slightly heavier (470 lbs).

I mean in an absolute as opposed to comparative sense, the R1200R IS undeniably a big/ weighty chunk of metal. I think you are (inadvertently) aiding your indecision by constant referencing back to cycles: other than the two wheels and the need for a sense of balance on both, there is not that much similarity! If you are happy with your ability to handle the weight and relatively poorer (IMHO) handling of the VStar you would certainly be pleasantly surprised by the ease with which the BMW handles, at low speed or otherwise. Its weight, or c of g, is pretty low down, so it is certainly not as top-heavy as some bikes.

Take the test-ride, as suggested here, but also consider perhaps other shorter-term options to help you to get yourself into a position to be able to make some informed comparisons. But, that said, I don't think it would automatically spell doom and disaster if you went straight onto an R - I did (1998 R1100R) from a 250cc learner-permit Yamaha SRV 250! So what do I know...!!!

The 1200R is an extremely competent machine, and will give you all you are looking for in terms of usage, I'm sure. Go book that test-ride (but not just around the block either!).

L of S

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Bring a checkbook to your test ride.
Bill - that 09 of yours looks absolutely immaculate! I don't recall having seen a white one before - I'm not normally a fan of white bikes, but yours looks stunning!! Well done.

L of S

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
What kind of riding do you plan to do? Are you looking at short day rides or half day? Are you planning on weeks long trips?
Do you ride on the drops and are you comfortable there, or do you prefer a more upright position? Do you prefer a road bike, a mountain bike, or a city type bike?

How much "discomfort" do you tolerate getting from point A to Point B?

The answers to those questions could point you in the direction of a true sport bike, or a touring bike, or a bike capable of off road, or some mix of those things.

John

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a couple bikes of different styles and if I were to have only one bike it would be a standard. They are simply the best all around bikes. I would put a toss up between the new Honda CB1100 and the R1200R. The R1200R has a ton more accessories and better luggage available for it. Both are great around town bikes and good for short distance riding. The R1200R has better long legs, back to the luggage and accessories.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for posting that. That is a great shot. I'd have to say, I'd never have considered the white until I saw this picture. Looks great with the contrasting black. Too bad because I don't think it is a current color thy offer. I like the black classic color scheme as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What kind of riding do you plan to do? Are you looking at short day rides or half day? Are you planning on weeks long trips?
Do you ride on the drops and are you comfortable there, or do you prefer a more upright position? Do you prefer a road bike, a mountain bike, or a city type bike?

How much "discomfort" do you tolerate getting from point A to Point B?

The answers to those questions could point you in the direction of a true sport bike, or a touring bike, or a bike capable of off road, or some mix of those things.

John
Thats a good question because I don't have enough riding experience yet to tell. I loved the mountain riding (just did HW 9 to boulder creek and return on the Yamaha 650 yesterday and had an enormous blast doing that.) i want a bike that I can ride every day, not a garage queen to take out once a month on the weekend. In fact, if it wasn't for conditions, weather/traffic etc, I would safely say that I would take the bike over the car most of the time. I don't know if I would do any extended touring. That would require me to be separate from my wife and we enjoy doing things together. I am expecting that I am going to be riding alone most of the time until I have more experience. I think it is likely that I would take a trip now and then from NorCal to SoCal, probably on PCH. That is about 350 miles. The bigger, heavier touring bikes seem a little less inviting to want to pull out of the garage and jump on and go on a daily basis. The Yamaha 650 served it'd purpose for me, but I don't want acruising bike that is a 3/4 scale replica of a Harley. It is fun to learn on , but I would not buy one. The BMW position seemed more natural . I was able to get on that bike, but have not test driven it yet. Will do soon though :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
…Too bad because I don't think it is a current color thy offer. I like the black classic color scheme as well.
They do. It's not the Alpine White of the hexheads, but light nonetheless, like a very light grey.

Here's a photo of "derbobs" Euro-spec beauty on the other site:

This would be a compelling color if I were in the market -- even as the LED signals. Whoof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you're right. just checked and that is a stock color. the two dealers in this area. San Jose and MV each have a blue and a black. One has the classic model and the other the 90th anniversary model. Not a fan of the blue, but I like both of the blacks. spokes vs mags ? I'm not sure about the maintenance of the former -but I like the look of the spokes. I am headed to the dealer tonight the check them out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts